“Stayed in the McFarlane Room” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Farnsworth House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Farnsworth House Inn
You added Farnsworth House Inn to your Saves list
401 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325   |
Ranked #21 of 24 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Stayed in the McFarlane Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Took my daughter for the paranormal experience and we had a great time.

Our Room:
We weren't shown to our room but in every B&B I've stayed in I've never been shown to my room..it's not hard to find your own room. The McFarlane's decor is all Victorian - dark color, ornate but beautiful at the same time. For those that find the decor "too much" well this isn't the place for you...they are trying to keep in theme with the history/past of the house. Oh and remember the house is haunted.....need to set the stage for that too...can't have bright and modern decor if the house is haunted by civil war era spirits.....Keep that in mind when staying there.

Dinning:
Our first night we were going to eat in the Tavern but they had it closed for a special party so we went into the dinning room and asked about a table, told them we were guests of the Inn and that's all it took..they fit us in (Friday night and packed w/ people). The food was great and they really took good care of us! Both days we ate breakfast at the Inn...wonderful food and service!

Haunted? :
Yep the house is haunted...this is one of those things you need to experience for yourself. If your looking for this just don't try too hard...just listen, watch and try to stay calm. If your not keen on the paranormal..stay somewhere else.

Staff:
What can I say...the staff was always helpfull and willing the go out of their way for us. Thanks Everyone on the Farnsworth for making our stay an experence we will never forget......and yes we will be back!

Room Tip: For the best paranormal experience stay in the house..not in the garden rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter & I stayed in the McFarlane room & had a wonderful experience. Lots of sounds all night by 5 am had to turn the lights on. We stayed for dinner & breakfast & found the food & staff excellent. Really enjoyed reading the experiences of others in the journal. Hope to stay there again. We did the East Cemetery ghost walk as well it was fantastic. Had taken the Black cat ghost walk the night before & wasn't nearly as good. I'm sorry I didn't get the guides name but she was really great & brought history to life!! Can't wait for our next visit!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Macedonia, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Custer room was nice. I felt very comfortable in there and would love to have a den decorated the same way. The breakfast was OK, but the waitress was very mean and negative (skinny, dark hair), she was very condescending to the 4 of us when we sat at a table that was not set up for breakfast. Saying "that table is for "fine dining".

We met the owner when checking out and he was a great guy to talk to. The check in lady also said that the Eisenhower room is used by mediums who want a "safe" place to sleep. That could be useful info.

Our (my wife and I) experience in the Custer room consisted of marbles moving (after we put them loose on the fireplace mantle) as I lay in bed, alone (wife went to breakfast, I passed because of the mean lady). Also, each of the two nights, we woke up with the top quilt on the floor next to the window, layered as if it had been slowly draped over itself. My wife said "maybe you pulled it off", fair enough, but I asked her "if that's the case, why is your little pillow (she brought a pillow for her knee) on the floor, but on your side? I also woke up frightened, I think I felt the blanket moving, and had to turn on a light to fall asleep. Didn't feel negative or dangerous, just unfamiliar.

So, we didn't stay in this room for the luxury, the nice breakfast or pleasantries, we stayed here for a paranormal experience. I believe the Farnsworth House delivered. I plan to go back with a video camera this year.

Room Tip: You're obviously staying here because it's supposedly haunted. If you wanted luxury you woul...
Harrisburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We wanted to stay in the Sara Black room for a night because it is supposed to have the most paranormal activity. When we arrived, we were given the keys to the room and told how to get to the room. At other B&B's they at least escort you to the room and show you the amenities. Anyways, we get to the room and it is "OK". The room was like a museum more than a place to be comfortable. The bathroom had a sewer gas smell like an outhouse so there must be some type of plumbing problem. The TV is very small (probably a 15" screen) and the bed is very uncomfortable. The pillows were flat, worn out & needed replaced. My wife & I attemped to go their Sweeney's Tavern for dinner but they were short staffed and the bartender & waitress were obviously stressed out. We knew we were going to be disappointed with the service & food by the greeting we got, so we said we were leaving and they seemed relieved that there were 2 less people to serve. We then went to the Dobbin House and had a great meal & great service. We left early in the morning and headed home, skipping the breakfast, because the bed & pillows were so uncomfortable. The house is very old & creaky, but we saw or heard nothing paranormal. Last year we stayed at the Gettysburg Hotel on the square & were much happier with the room & service. If you want to stay in town, we recommend the Gettysburg Hotel for lodging & the Dobbin House for lunch/dinner (just be prepared to wait for a table at the Dobbin House).

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all, when checking in...don't look for a lobby. Check in is handled in the gift shop in the courtyard. Since there were 3 of us, we stayed in the Jennie Wade room which can accommodate a cot. The room is a little shabby but the atmosphere is great. The bathroom and water pressure is even better. If you're extremely sensitive to smoke, you might be affected by the tavern being so close and the smokers right outside the door. It bothered me a little but I have asthma and allergies. As for the review of breakfast prior to mine, I have no idea what they're talking about in saying you pay extra for toast. Not true. We were surprised at the complimentary breakfast since it had never been mentioned when making the reservation. The food is very good whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The only disappointment was the tour "The Mourning Theater" but that was because of the presenter, Allie. She talked more about herself than the history of the hotel. She also made silly jokes trying to be funny, was uninformative and I felt ruined the presentation. They should hire someone more suitable. Our second tour was rained out and it was no problem getting a refund. We will absolutely stay there again. The atmosphere is worth any minor quirks that some of these reviewers seem to be bothered by. Be sure and take time to explore the garden. So many hidden treasures.

Room Tip: Whe we return we will pick another room away from the tavern or in the main house.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cocoa Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had not been to Gettysburg for about 4 years and wanted to stay at what was once our favorite B&Bs – The Farnsworth House. We had stayed there before (5 times) and had always had a wonderful time.

As it was Parents Weekend the only room available was The Lincoln Room – where we had once stayed. So we eagerly made our made reservations for 3 nights.

As the old saying goes “everything changes – nothing stays the same”. The Farnsworth House is a perfect example of this. Don’t know if the changes were due to the economy or if the place was now under new owners. But what was once a nice place to stay, with friendly staff who made you feel welcome, was now 4 years later, a different place….

The room was dirty – simple amenities like kleenix, toilet paper, and soap were missing. As compared to 4 years ago, the room now had a rundown, shabby feeling.

There was no thermostat in the room and you had to ask at the front desk to have the temperature turned down. We asked three nights in a row and still had to suffer with the hot and stuffy room – and this was in early October.

Most of the light bulbs were missing which meant that most of the lamps were unuseable. The hottub had light fixtures over it, which were supposed to add to the ambiance, but those were also missing bulbs.

The TV (which was on top of the dresser) had a sensor that was nearly impossible to access, so the remote control was almost useless unless you stood by the wall. When we told them at the front desk, they sent in one of the young cooks (?) to arrogantly and rudely “show us how to work the remote”. We finally draped the sensor and its cable over the top edge of the dresser so we could change the channels from the bed.

The showerhead threw water against the shower door, which meant you had to be inside the shower stall to turn on and set the water temperature. That meant you were either scalded or frozen before getting the water temperature fixed. You also needed extra towels for the floor when the shower sprayed water.

Most of these annoyance were unknown to us when we checked in. Luckily, we read through the previous guests journal in the room which warned us about the shower and the heat. (Apparently these are ongoing problems which have yet to be corrected.)

As this is a B&B, breakfast is included. 4 years ago, little niceties like bread & jelly were complimentary, but now everything was an extra charge.

Complaints to the front desk were useless – and eventually we gave up and tried to put up with the way things were, promising ourselves never to come back there again.

Luckily for us, we discovered another (better) B&B which we will stay at the next time we’re in Gettysburg.

Do yourself a favor and pass up The Farnsworth House.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Jenny Wade room for 3 (three) nights. Now.. I don't know who these idiots are who complained about this place..?? IT WAS WONDERFUL !! There was no "curtain" for a bathroom door??? ... the bathroom was beautifully tiled... fantastic !!!. The room wasn't musty.. yeah .. a lot of antique stull adorning the room... but.. get a grip!! It's authentic!! The folks who own the place were EXTREMELEY PLEASANT... as were all the food servers and bar keepers.... ... thumbs up the WHOLE WAY AROUND !!!!.. I will go back there in a second.. I will tell all my friends to go there... IN A SECOND !!! Damn!!! What a great 3 nights my wife and I stayed there........... !!!! ... for the rest of you.. if you want "Sterile"... go to Comfort Inn... If you want to pull your head out of your butt and have a great... great...time..... You go and book your stay at the Farnsworth !!!!!!!! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... say hi to Melissa for us .... :-)

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jenny Wade Room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Farnsworth House Inn? Share your experiences!