“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Gettysburg
Bucks County, PA
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Just like the other folks, my wife and I are huge history buffs, and have been wanting to go back to Gettysburg to see the new visitors center, and museum.
We decided to go before the big summer season. I reviewed all of the trip advisor hotels in the area, and found this had the best reviews for the money, and location. You cannot beat this location, if you want to be within walking distance of almost everything. Positives: Hotel is clean, pleasant. The location is excellent. There are many shops and restaurants basically across the street. Beds were comfortable. There air conditioner was very quiet. Coffee maker in room.
Negatives: The breakfast was OK. There were waffles, bagels and english muffins, cereal, fresh fruit, etc. This was fine for the two days we were there, but I couldn't have eaten it for more than that.
No microwaves or fridges in the rooms. The walls seems slightly thin; you could hear doors slamming and water running. Some folks are also not very considerate neighbors late at night!
The staff at the front desk were very courteous and helpful!
All in all, I would stay at this Travelodge again. It is pleasant and very budget friendly. We thought the location was great!.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
CT/NY area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

My friend and I visited Gettysburg recently. We chose Tavelodge after seeing some reviews here and when we arrived with no reservation, we were offered a very good price for a room (queen). The room was large, very clean, convenient, and quiet! (quiet even though the hotel was full and the room overlooked the road!). Everything was pretty much uncomplicated. I'd definitely stay there again if I were to go back to Gettysburg.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

My husband and I are huge history buffs, and have been wanting to go back to Gettysburg and explore it with our 2 kids, ages 6 and 7.
We decided to go over Thanksgiving weekend of this year. I reviewed all of the trip advisor hotels in the area, and had originally booked the Wyndham, which is supposedly a fantastic hotel, and for $74, I thought that I had struck the jackpot. Then when I double checked the map, I saw the Wyndham was way out of town, about 4 miles. This would not do! We are New Yorkers and must must must walk to at least SOME of our destinations. So after reading reviews of hotels right in the town, I booked the Travelodge. The price was right-also $74 a night, including continental breakfast. We had stayed in this hotel about 4 years ago, so I pretty much knew what to expect. Positives: Hotel is clean, pleasant. The location is excellent. There are many shops and restaurants basically across the street. Beds were comfortable. There was adjustable heat (important in the winter!) in our room. I felt very safe there. It was also quiet as far as the location was concerned-no train or traffic noise.WiFi worked excellently. My husband is always happy to play with his itouch. Coffee maker in room.
Negatives: The breakfast was OK. There were waffles. Not everyone's favorite, but oh man were my kids happy. There were also bagels and english muffins, cereal, coffee and juices. Also oatmeal. There wasn't any fruit. This was fine for the two days we were there, but I couldn't have eaten it for more than that.
Doors were open air, not inside. Could be a safety concern in some places, but I think GEttysburg is pretty safe; now that is, I wouldn't want to have been there 145 years ago...but that's another story.

All in all, I would stay at the Travelodge again. It is pleasant and very budget friendly. We thought the location couldn't be beat.

• Liked — Location Cleanliness Price
  • Disliked — No amenities No pool Ok breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2008

This hotel was clean, and most of the rooms have nice balconies. Some negatives are the breakfasts are not very good and we were placed in a handicapped room because we used the government rate. This meant that there was NO counter space in the bathroom, and the shower had a chair in it. The room was pretty big, and we were able to stay with our pets with no problem. Some of the rooms on the third floor meant you had to walk through the breakfast area and then outside, so be careful of that. Their internet didn't work the entire time we were there. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the new visitors center and good resturants.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Savannah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

very nice place to stay clean and close to the battlefeild enjoyed our stay and will saty there again

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

We booked here for one night at the end of August, since the rate was reasonable compared to other local hotels. We didn't have high expectations, since my experience with Travelodge has been only average. We were highly impressed with this hotel!

First, I had mistakenly booked for the wrong night, but the manager immediately got us a room for the night we arrived, and an upgrade (for no extra charge) to boot! The hotel was meticulously clean, the room we had (a king room) was large, nicely appointed, and clean and comfortable.

The hotel is in the middle of town, so you can get some road noise if you are in the front (we were, but hardly noticed it), but that's minor.

Our experience was very pleasurable, and comparable to much nicer and more expensive hotels.

• Liked — Great clean hotel with a great staff.
  • Disliked — The few rooms that face the street can get a little noise.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

We checked in on Thursday, there was a problem with my confirmation, I had printed it but it never was confirmed due to credit card numbers being transposed. When we arrived they found the problem right away and got us through the check in process quickly.
We ended up staying three nights instead of two. The hotel is right in the center of everything. Cheryl, the General Manager made reservations for us at a great restaurant. The staff were all friendly and accessible at all times.
We highly recommend this hotel. We are planning to make this our getaway place since it's only two hrs from home.

• Liked — convenience, cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge Gettysburg? Share your experiences!