“fine for what it was” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in West Orange
Washington, DC
“fine for what it was”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were there overnight but spent more than several waking hours there. Front desk personnel was friendly and helpful. Lobby was festive. If not for two things, I would have given a higher rating:
1. The room while, more spacious than normal and decorated well, was a bit musty. (Strange since it's far from the beach.)
. We were in an assessible room and the bathroom tiles and towel rack/wall were damaged and looked terrible.
Checkout was a cinch, being completed automatically. It was in the same area as a major mall. (We didn't use it but this could be quite convenient.) NJ room taxes added quite a bit to the price. It was certainly adequate although I feel we paid too much.

Room Tip: We stayed towards the back where it was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Maria S I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time of reviewing us in Trip Advisor. I will forward your comment to the Operations Department to address the issue about the musty smell and the tiles and fixtures of the bathrooms. I hope you have a great 2013 and please come visit us again!

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canada, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed over New Year's Eve to be close to a family gathering.

front desk staff were excellent at check-in and departure. The first room we were allocated reeked of cigarette smoke. A room change was provided as soon as I returned downstairs, and with a sincere apology. This hotel is non-smoking and there are clear signs in each room.

The second room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We returned from our family New Year's celebration at 1:30 am, but at around 2:30 am, 3:30 am, and 4:30 am there were riotous outbursts on our floor as various parties in rooms spilled out into the halls and/or drunken revelers returned from their celebrations and continued to party in the corridor.

When I mentioned that we could hardly sleep before 6 am, upon check-out, the staff were again sincerely apologetic. They even credited my Marriott rewards account with bonus points for the semi-sleepless night.

My conclusion is that this Courtyard is much nicer than many of the guests who stay there (especially at New Year's). A couple of years ago we stayed at the Best Western Turtle Brook over New Year's Eve. The building was much less appealing, but the people staying there did not party in the halls and smoke up the rooms.

If more of this hotel's guests could behave like responsible adults, it would be a better place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We were there for 2 weeks and were only at the hotel for sleeping (around 9 pm to about 7 am) since we were caring for a sick family member.

The stay was generally good - it was extremely convenient for where we needed to spend the day however there are a couple of areas of improvement needed:

1) When windy, staying in the room was like staying in a haunted house. The wind whistled through a poorly sealed window and howled quite loudly all night. We came close to requesting another room but finally decided it was too much trouble.

2) Housekeeping kept doing weird things regarding our drinking glasses. Our understanding was that the drinking glasses were to be replaced each day. They not only didn't do that regularly (the same dirty glasses were there for 3 days straight on one occasion) but then they started removing the glasses without replacing them. Sometimes they'd leave one glass in the room, other times there were none. One time there were three including one dirty one.
We complained about it twice since we always drink water at night and sometimes used them for other drinks. They apologized but then kept doing it. So I'd give Housekeeping poor marks overall. But kudos for the hotel staff after our final complaint our last day - they apologized profusely and offered us free breakfast coupons.

3) It's noisy being under another room - you can hear everyone's footsteps from the floor above. If I were to stay there again, I'd only stay on the 3rd floor.

4) An elevator broke down about mid way through our stay. This required us to use stairs or go to the absolute end of the building to use another elevator to get to our floor. Although it was over Thanksgiving it seemed like there were plenty of non-holiday days for a repair person to do something about it so not sure what the problem was.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top (3rd) floor otherwise you will hear footsteps from the room above you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good morning,

It seems that your stay wasn't confortable! Please receive my apologies. The issues experienced during your stay will be addressed with the departments involved. If you happen to come back to the West Orange area, please contact the Sales Department. I will personally book your room and make sure your stay is more than pleasant. I will talk to the Housekeeping department to work on improving the service, especially with the replacement of the glasses. Your comments are well received and this helps us to work on our weaknesses. Thank you for you contribution.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

First let me say that I usually look for Hilton properties, but there were none nearby. The hotel is nicely remodeled. Nice colors, nice lobby, nice room. The bar area was nice, but the bartender was useless. Almost no selection ... And zero personality. The front desk attendants were nice, but were unable to resolve our reservation snafu. I don't think it was their fault ... Seemed more like a system issue. We reserved three rooms, and that's what we got ... Three rooms. No real service or hospitality.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Maria S I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear guest,

I apologize for the inconveniences you had during your last stay at the Courtyard by Marriott West Orange. In the event you are visitng the area again, please contact me directly, and I will personally assist you in your needs.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Chillicothe, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We were guests at the Marriott Courtyard in West Orange NJ 11/2-11/5/12 three days after Sandy and were pleasantly surprised at the courtesy extended by the hotel staff. They were overwhelmed with people coming and going and just hanging out in the lobby. There was power, internet, and a weekend free of TV. They had coffee, tea and Happy Hour and many smiling faces! Only encountered two unhappy employees, one who had been working too long and the other hadn't even been there through all the drama. The hotel has wonderful amenities including and indoor pool, weight room, and lovely courtyard. Everything was in good working order, clean and fresh. Left a tip for the maid, asked for extra towels because there were three of us. The beds and linens were very comfortable. The staff was very attentive. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Maria S I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Kathleen,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good experience during the weekend after Hurricane Sandy, when we were still struggling to have everything back to normal. I have to say that most of our leisure travelers, who had booked their rooms months in advance, had a good experience and were greatful that we could take care of them despite of some limitations in our service. I will share your comments with my team.
West Orange
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family checked into the Courtyard on 10/30 late in the afternoon. AFTER checking in we realized the hotel had no tv, no internet (ok there had been a hurricane) but they also had NO WATER (and hadn't had any all day)...Not a word from anyone at the front desk. Some people were informed and offered discounts, others were not. Some people were given bottled water, (if you asked for it). Considering we had just stayed for two days at another hotel, where guests were given written updates during the hurricane AND notes were posted at all elevators, the performance by this management team was poor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I extend my deepest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your last stay at the Courtyard by Marriott West Orange. We strive to have all our guests satisfied, and there is no excuse for not being able to communicate better with you about the issues we were facing after Hurricane Sandy. Certainly, the damages were big and our hotel lost various services for a long period of time. I hope you visit us under other circumstances, and please contact me directly in the Sales Department. 973.669.4725.

Travelers are raving about these West Orange hotels

West Orange, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My family and I are lucky, we only lost our power during last week's hurricane that hit the Northeast. We booked at Courtyard West Orange and they looked to help us at every opportunity. The entire staff was happy and friendly, much appreciated through a difficult time with small children ( who were scared). Monnette Murray went above and beyond to help us organize and feel good about being away from home.. We'll be recommending this hotel for years to come!

Room Tip: All rooms are modern and clean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Maria S I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear guest,

On behalf of my team, I want to thank you for your review. I will make sure to praise Moneyette for her good job!. I am very gald you had a pleasant experience in our hotel during your difficult times during the power outages. Thank you again!

Been to Courtyard West Orange? Share your experiences!