“Great surprise” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Jerusalem, Israel
“Great surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel really exceeded our expectations, We have stayed in the major brand hotels in the area and found everything about this hotel superior.. In fact, we have stayed in numerous hotels from north Jersey down to Atlantic City and this was by far the best experience, It started with the easy reservation process and got really good when we checked in. The front desk staff is outstanding, especially Capri, She has a smile and help for everyone. We had a larger than expected room with two full size beds, a real fridge and coffe maker and very attractive bath room that was surprisingly well lit. The complimentary beakfast in the welll equipped and well furnished lobby was a treat, especially the coffe machine that provided us with our morning latte.

Getting anywhere by car was easy. The hotel is in a well lanscaped area set back from a main street that is only five minuutes from route I 280, the main east west highway that connects to the Turnpike, parkway and route 78. It is only a half hour to the city and we drove to Yankee stradium in 40 minutes. They also have plenty off street parking.

Having spent a lot of time in hotels in this area every year for the past 29 years, I have observed how difficult it must be to get good staff. One of the unusual features of this hotel is the well trained staff that are all ready to help. We found the room to be clean and in excellent condition and when we needed extra towels (by the way the room is stocked with three sets of towels for two people) and extra hangers (we were there for 9 nights including for a wedding) the response was immediate and generous.

When we asked for some advice the manager was called and he was extremely helpful and freindly.

This was our first compalint free stay in any hotel in NJ and gets our higest recommendation for quality and location as well as value.

Room Tip: The beds are very high and we are average height, so the dressing bench in the room was very helpful...
Green Features: We chose the option to have sheets changed every other day because we saw the "green" efforts that they had taken.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Renee d,

Your review with TripAdvisor is overwhelming and very much appreciated! I am delighted we had the opportunity to meet and talk last week. I thank you so very much for this grand review. As you know we have been # 1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor since February 2008. It's an award we proudly display and have worked diligently to earn. I will be sure to share your review with my staff and partners and I trust we will see you again soon.

With Much Appreciation,

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great Jersey location...staff outstanding, especially Tanesha.....terrific breakfast.our family loved the home-made waffles, oatmeal, croissants and burrito...my daughter was able to bring her dog....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Dee B,

Thank you for posting your review with TripAdvisor! We strive to offer the best breakfast in the area. Most of our competitors are charging for breakfast now while we still do not. My goal is to keep building value by updating our menu and offering fresh baked goods as well as seasonal specialties. And yes, we are pet friendly and we now offer a private fenced "Yappy Yard" with amenities just for our best friends. I hope you had a chance to see and use it!!

Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon!

Great Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Clean large rooms with very comfortable beds and pillows. HD flat screen TV's and lots of channels. Good size refrigerator, microwave and stemware a nice touch. The Dogs Love it too! Rates are reasonable for what you are getting. You can always find something you would like at the breakfast that is included. Have never had a bad meal or service at the Italian place attached to the building. Plus you can have the Italian food brought to you at your room if you don't feel like going out. Is fairly central to all the family in the Jersey area that hold events all the time and it's a straight shot from the DC metro area for us. It's the ONLY place we stay now when we come up for years now.

Room Tip: Suite at end of the first wing. Next to the exit to the dog run. I think its Rm311 or 317.
Green Features: Notes around the room advising being green for the planet is very thoughtful.
Dear Sonsean60,

Thank you so much for this great review and for taking the time to post it on TripAdvisor! We have had Lodgenet Envision HD programming and our 42 inch Panasonic TV's since last summer and we're thrilled with them. More than 55 Hi Def channels and another 25 SD. Primavera offers lunch and dinner as well as room service and I agree with you, their food is very good. I truly appreciate when guests like you let us know how we're doing. My staff and I much appreciate your review as well as your business. You've suggested a very good "room tip" too.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Pulled back the covers on one of the beds in my room and noticed that the sheets were covered in someone else's hair. Sure, the Panasonic flat screen was nice and the bathroom was updated, but don't even bother if you can't even change the bed sheets between guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Anon F,

Thanks for posting your review. I can promise you however that we always change our sheets including the beds that don't even appear to have been slept in . We even change the sheets of our long term guests every day - this is something most of our extended stay competitors don't do. I would like an opportunity to investigate this fully but unfortunately I need your help to do so. I cannot identify the date of your stay and this would be incredibly helpful in researching this matter. Our housekeepers are some of the best in the area and I would really like to get to the bottom of any concern regarding this claim. I inspect rooms randomly as well and I would never accept this type of activity, nor would my executive housekeeper who's been with me for six years helping me achieve our # 1 status and reputation with TripAdvisor since February 2008. I have sent you a personal message via TripAdvisor as well. I do hope to hear from you as this kind of complaint is one that is taken very serious and resolution will be close to impossible without knowing when you actually stayed with us. I will however ramp up my inspections to seven days a week until this matter is closed in an effort to err on the cautious side.

Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Since we have family, we come to the North Jersey area every couple of months. We have stayed in every hotel in the West Orange area. The Wilshire Grand Hotel is by far the nicest, friendliest, and best value of any hotel in the area. The staff bent over backwards to make my 3 year old feel right at home. Of course the popcorn,cookies, and lemonade that they put out in the afternoon was a big hit!

Green Features: I was very happy to read that the Wilshire Grand Hotel is a "Green" hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Dear Michael P,
Thank you very much for posting this great review. Please know that my team and I deeply appreciate the time you've taken out of your busy schedule to let us know how we're doing. As you know we rely heavily on TripAdvisor Reviews to gauge ourselves and our success. Speaking for all of us - we hope to see the three of you again very soon!

In appreciation,

Ed Reagoso
Florence, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Hotel accidentally booked our original room to another wedding party so they basically gave us another room (a free suite) for the night. Plus complimentary champagne, snacks, and more. And even the following day they were apologetic and offered us various comps.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are quiet and nice to look at.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear terriblyvexed,

Thank you for posting this terrific review. I am so happy that we were able to change the dynamics of an overbooked situation into such a bonus evening for you. We do indeed strive for perfection however even the finest tuned machinery can misfire and though we do our very best we don't proclaim we are perfect. We will always however "do the right thing" to insure our guests satisfaction when given the opportunity to do so during a guest stay. Letting us know how we measure up is truly appreciated and we hope to see you again some time in the near future.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Had a group of 56 people stay at this hotel and cannot praise it enough. Staff, room, food, facilities all wonderful and and Bill Andreorio the Sales Director went out of his way to make all this happen. Excellent in every respect.

Room Tip: All are excellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Steve T,

Thanks so much for this great review. We really appreciate your comments and hope to see you all again very soon! I will be sure to let Bill know that his attention to detail is appreciated by both you & I. Thank you very much!

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!