“Great Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Jersey City, NJ
“Great Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I booked a King size Jacuzzi bed for a VDay weekend. It was just a great deal, pink champagne, roses delivered to the room, dinner for 2 all inclusive (including gratuity). It really was a no stress, upscale and classy environment. And I liked the privately owned status of the hotel, because it's less commercialized and more personable. Hotel staff was very accommodating, our toilet was overflowing but it was taken care of right away without hassle. The Jacuzzi bedroom is the perfect spot for any couple wishing to get away. I would definitely book again if around the area; has been my best hotel experience in NJ.

-Haider R.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi for 2 in the bedroom. Can't beat it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Seifer822,

Thank you for your terrific guest review. I am so happy to hear that you like the idea of our independent status. My partners are all local businessmen that thrive on taking care of our customers and I believe we do it well. Anyone staying with us needs to know that we do own & operate our hotel independently. We focus on service and taking care of our guest. There is no lip service here my friend, we really appreciate that you noticed! Please feel free to contact me in the future on your next trip so I may have the opportunity to set you up with a very special amenity for your loyalty.

Very Much Appreciated,

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I live in northwest NJ.
We had a family affair to attend on Saturday 2/9 in the West Orange area.
With the forecast of snow, I made a reservation for the Wilshire Grand for Friday 2/8.
All over their website, and on the order form, they clearly state that all reservations for a Friday need to be cancelled 72 hours in advance, but I felt that it was a good risk to take, and went ahead and made the reservation.
The snowstorm turned out to be Nemo, and on Friday, the day of the reservation, it became clear that there would be no way that we should take the risk to try and drive to the Wilshire.
With great trepidation,I called the front desk to cancel the reservation for that evening, and requested that I not be charged for the reservation.
The person that answered was very professional, told me that it would not be a problem, and cancelled the reservation without charging me. He did not need to speak to a ,manager and just took care of it, exactly what a great customer-oriented hotel should do.
So although I did not have the pleasure of staying there, I am extremely impressed with their customer service, and hope to one day in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Hermsherm,

Thank you for recognizing how different our attitude is about business and our commitment to "do the right thing" compared to our competitors. Not many hotels will in fact cancel a reservation with no fee when the policy is as stringent as ours is on weekends, particularly if a state of emergency is not declared by the state of New Jersey. We've heard the horrors and yes, my team is always at liberty to sway from policy if it's about safety & guest service so thanks again for noticing. Do call me for your next reservation so I may have the opportunity to upgrade you to our best available accommodations on your next trip!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Checked in for a 1 night stay before going to Manhatten. Room was clean, spacious, and gorgeous. One of the best hotels I have stayed at and the value put it over the top. If your looking for a nice hotel close to the city try this over the overpriced, tiny manhatten hotels.

Stayed January 2013
Dear Geoff M,

Thanks so much for posting your terrific review on TripAdvisor. We feel the same way about the value of our product and we're just delighted to see it memorialized by our guests. We also have free shuttle service to South Orange & Montclair Train Stations when scheduled in advance with our front office. This is a quick and cheap way to get to Manhattan from the hotel. Please drop by and say hello on your next trip so I may thank you in person for becoming a "Big Fan."

Ed Reagoso, General Manager
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went there for a wedding & spent the night. the place was beautiful the food out of this world. The staff was great. The breakfast the next morning was unreal eggs, waffles that you make for yourself bagels muffins oatmeal fruits coffee you name it they had it.I would recommend this place highly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Esther M,

Thank you so much for the terrific review that you posted. I know this may sound overused but we truly do appreciate anyone that stayed with us taking the time to post their review on TripAdvisor. We use these reviews in daily meetings as well as for training and we will continue to strive to be the very best in the area. Thank you so much for participating in our review process and acknowledging our effort!
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Wilshire twice now in the last three months while on business in the NJ area. The hotel is excellent, the staff professional and personable. I highly recommend you consider the Wilshire. Jack from Texas

Dear Jack G,
On your next trip please stop by and introduce yourself. I would appreciate the opportunity to thank you personally for the terrific review you posted on TripAdvisor. We happen to think TripAdvisor is the best! Every guest stay is verified so you can always guarantee that their reviews are by real guests that stayed at your hotel. Your time is much appreciated and we anxiously wait to serve you again!

Ardmore, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hotel is very appealing with spacious clean rooms with free WI FI, a very accomodating staff and a great restaurant on site. An added benefit is the free hot/cold breakfast as well as the extended happy hour(s) that provides free drinks and appetizers.

The only drawbacks are the small fitness center and no swimming pool.

Dear Brian G,
Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate you being part of our service measurement and rating process. We take each and every TripAdvisor Review to heart and speaking for my staff and I, we are truly delighted to see you have joined us. We anxiously await serving you again. Yes, I'm sorry we have no pool. A tip for future however, we do offer complimentary passes Monday through Friday to our local JCC that features some of the greatest wellness & fitness facilities in the area including an Olympic size pool! Just inquire at our front desk on your next trip!
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stay several times a year. The staff is courteous and efficient. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. Close to major highways and roads. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent, and have eaten there often. It is also convenient to several excellent restaurants. Strongly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Kelbasikid,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor! Great TripAdvisor guests like yourself have voted us # 1 choice for lodging in West Orange since February 2008. We always appreciate the time it takes to submit these reviews and we thank you very much for participating personally in our review process!

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!