“everybody loves it” 5 of 5 stars

new jersey
4 attraction reviews
“everybody loves it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I thought it was just me, since Edison is one of my heroes. But I took my parents there when they were visiting, and they could not stop talking about it. I mentioned it to some new friends at a cocktail party the next weekend, and they told me how great it was at the next cocktail party.

This is a really great NPS site. There is more-than-adequate parking (look for the signed lot across the street). The admission fee is $7, and it's good for a week. The self-guided tour is fine, but it is really worthwhile to go to the ranger-led sessions. They give you a lot more background than the self-guided tour.

I never get tired of visiting the lab. I found the house tour very interesting the first time, and less interesting each time I go. It is a really impressive house, tho.

Visited October 2012

Morristown, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“So Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is newly renovated and part of the National Park Service, so the quality is great. Our family spent about 2.5 hours here and would have spent more time if the weather was a little better, (it was a really cold and windy day, so walking between buildings was a bit more than we were up for). We watched an educational video which was really informative and gave us a good overview of Edison's amazing intellect and fantastic 'inventor' mindset. We attended a Park Ranger led tour of Edison's chemical laboratory, and then we toured another building that housed Edison's Library, his recording studio for the phonograph and a wonderfully preserved machine shop. The Park Rangers were very helpful and were pleased to answer questions. One really interesting fact that we heard from a Ranger, was that there was a single lightbulb in a statue, that worked from 1899 until 1995! It lasted almost 100 years! When the bulb burned out, they put in a replacement bulb, but it burned out as soon as they turned it on. So, rather than risk burning through all of Thomas Edison's original bulbs, they replaced the burnt out bulb with a replica. Next time that we go, we will talk to more rangers and hopefully get a bit more information about the movie studio and how it works.

Visited February 2013
NJ
43 attraction reviews
“An interesting and educational afternoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My kids and I really enjoyed walking around Edison's lab (especially the storage room), seeing the first motion picture studio, and then driving the short distance to the tour of his Glenmont Estate as well. My kids liked that the laboratory/workshop tour was self-guiding and using the scanner on my smartphone to get additional information at the various exhibits. The Junior Ranger booklet helped keep them interested as well. I don't see us returning every year, but it is certainly worth a visit, regardless of your age.

Visited June 2012
New Jersey
21 attraction reviews
“Education Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The kids loved to see all the shops where Thomas Edison worked and created. The staff gave fantastic presentations and tried to involve the children in it. Our kids had a blast and walked away with a piece of History. Join the Junior Ranger Program for your children and they will walk away with so much more....

Visited December 2012
Massachusetts
39 attraction reviews
“Good for adults and childen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were impressed with all the new exhibits and liked the self guiding tour concept so you can spend as much time as you like at the things that interest you. Activities for the kids make this a great place for all ages to visit.

Visited January 2013