“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia

You added Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   220 South 17th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103-6179 (City Center West)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy Savings of 15%
Ranked #26 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days during a work conference. I would not usually choose to stay at a Radisson on my own but since the conference was being held there I didn't have a choice.

I typically stay at the Westin or Sofitel so I was worried that the Radisson would not feel as nice. I was surprised.

While nothing was that amazing about the property the rooms were clean, VERY big, newly renovated and offered HDTV and free high-speed internet.

What really made my stay was the service. I didn't walk past ONE employee that didn't smile and say hello. I was impressed.

I have stayed at other Radisson's and was not impressed. This was a nice surprise.

p.s. The new restaurant downstairs, Tavern 17, was pretty good. Happy hour is the ticket.

• Liked — Size of the room, HDTV, internet
  • Disliked — still felt like a Radisson
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed here for two days and had mixed feelings.

The location is very good. Right in the center of Philadelphia and the Hotel itself is very nice. Great Rooms, very clean.

Durin our stay everything what can go wrong went wrong.
But every time the staff solved our complaint imediatly.

For example:

Broken bahtub - fixed same day.
broken phone in room - fixed next day
no pay per view - fixed next day.
Room service breakfast. - an hour late and everything cold and missing a lot of stuff.
Couldnt find a car after thet parked it ,waited for half an hour.
And to top it of they said the rate of the room was 80 dollars more then agreed. ( we could prove we were right so we got original price)

So a lot of things went wrong but they solved it in the professional way you expect. and comped a lot of things. If tthe mix ups were an incident i would surely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — very nice rooms
  • Disliked — the mess ups
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

This is a beauiful, upscale hotel, but we experienced some problems regarding self-parking.

First, we couldn't find the self-parking garage. We travelled around the block several times to no avail. Finally, I had to have my friend double park so I could run out amongst the busy streets and find my way to the front desk reception. I was vaguely told that the self-parking garage was on the other or opposite side of the street. Again, we could not find it. On the "other side" of the street I asked an individual who looked like he might be part of the establishment. He was not, but thankfully told me to go down a narrow alley a few yards up. Why hadn't the hotel told me this?! The alley did not look car-friendly at all and was desolate. Finally, we saw a sign that read "Penn something Garage." I didn't think this was it because it said "Penn" and not "Radisson." My friend thought it had to be it; they just didn't change the sign. Again, hot and exhausted, I had to run out and ask if this was it. Finally, they said yes. It took three attempts to find it!

Second, we had to pay an extra $5.00 in cash just because the hotel forgot to include the $20 self-parking fee on the printout of our charges - after I had indicated it when I checked-in online.

Third, they almost lost my car keys! I had to go in the office during check-out to see if any of the remaining keys were mine. They were not! After a few pain-staking minutes they had found them in another office. Now I will make sure to always bring an extra set of keys when parking in one of these facilities!

Overall, the communication among us, the hotel, and the self-parking garage was very bad. They hadn't told us the logistics or anything. This is especially frustrating when arriving back late tired from a night out!

• Liked — The HD Plasma TV, the High Quality matress/comfortable bed
  • Disliked — No view from room on 12th Fl., little noisy in the am., had to call to find out how to control the AC
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Braggtown, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

As a member of Radisson's Gold Points Rewards program, I always expect more than I get. I'm also a member of Kimpton's program and although I've booked through cut-rate services instead of Kimpton (and therefore ineligible for Kimpton Rewards), Kimpton provides more than expected.

This Radisson is still relatively obscured by scaffolding on the Locust side (the Capriccio Cafe and The Prime Rib side).

The lobby is impressive with a massive chandelier, painted clouds on the ceiling, a player baby grand piano, marble floors, a fireplace and stately columns. The front desk is actually off to the left side upon entering and comprised of three low-key kiosks (it seems, almost, an afterthought).

I couldn't decide if our room on the eighth floor was halfway renovated or done. The good: all the stuff promised on Radisson Warwick's Web site...
- the Sleep Number bed (although instructions would be helpful...what may feel good awake can hurt bigtime over a full night of sleep...there's definitely a learning curve to sussing out your Sleep Number),
- the bedding (the sheets were a nice cotton, but after my partner broke out in hives, we had to call for the hypoallergenic bedding...which was oddly left on the desk chair upon our return, so the feathered bedding was stripped and left on the sofabed, where it oddly stayed...and judging from the rather large, dirty imprint one pillow sham appeared to have been stomped on by a very dirty foot...odd for hypoallergenic...),
- the 32" HDTV (LG brand...the company seems to be using hotel placements to promote its HDTVs...unfortunately, several of the 20 channels kept freezing or disappearing, as happens with digital TV),
- the bathroom (its travertine floor and tub/shower walls, the granite sink top and large, movable magnifying mirror. I'm not too fond of the Moen rain showerhead; I like a more forceful shower, and I don't understand why supposedly nice places scrimp on the tubs--this was one of those molded plastic ones that bounces a bit).

On to the not-so good:
- the room sports a popcorn ceiling,
- dated-looking wall paper (unlike the stylish gold diamond pattern shown on the Web),
- sculpted carpet that seemed less than clean,
- some peeling paint and blistered wall paper in the bath (probably due to the humidity, but it looks cheesy nonetheless),
- bath glasses appeared old/hazy and dubiously clean.

I don't understand the apparent trend for housekeeping not to vacuum the room (I actually expect it daily, but would settle for every other day). I suppose it's part of the save the Earth effort (that one sees on in-room table-tents strongly suggesting that you are a bad environmental steward if you request fresh linens and towels on a daily basis)...perhaps hotels should make a table-tent letting us know that not vacuuming will save trees or ozone or something. With a 2.5-year-old, the floor got little droppings of food bits (cereal, edamame, etc.) and I waited to see if they disappeared during our stay (they didn't).

I also experienced some interesting frustrations with getting a complete set of towels. After the first night, we were not provided with any hand towels (two the day previous), washcloths or a bath mat. After improvising, the next day we again received no hand towels or bathmats (but did get washcloths). A front desk request was immediately attended to and a fellow promptly showed up with terry cloth items. Then the front desk called to verify the delivery of a bathmat and washcloths (which I didn't request...no hand towel). The towels also varied in quality. The first day they all appeared big and thirsty. Subsequent days revealed more thin and tired-appearing towels.

At any rate, our room was quite spacious, with a king-sized bed, work station/desk (with free, plug-in high-speed Internet that worked great, once we replugged it in to the wall), a chair and ottoman, a sleeper sofa, the above-described bathroom and a huge walk-in closet.

I was disappointed that our room did not have a mini-fridge, but didn't pursue getting one either (I get tired of tipping everyone and his/her sibling for things that should be there).

The air conditioning was on Arctic blast upon check-in. It was odd in that cool air rushed out of the unit near the bed (so the person on that side froze) and there seemed to be no gentler setting. As we slept our first night, having tucked under the down comforter, we started burning up around midnight. Sleepy staggering to the thermostat to push the down arrow button seemed futile and upon awakening, with the sun streaming in at 5:45 AM (forgot to find those room darkening vinyl drapes before bed), we were all sweat balls and that Arctic AC was but a fond memory. A call to the front desk promised some HVAC attention around 10 AM. After some exploring Center City for a few hours in the sweltering sun, a noontime return to the room revealed it was hotter than when I left. Another call to the desk sent a pleasant technician to the room and he tinkered with the thermostat and the unit for a half hour while my 2.5-year-old gleefully jumped on the bed and showed the tech all his stuffed animals. The guy exhibited great patience and not so much confidence about his fix. He got the air back on but noted that he needed to track down a part for a proper fix. After an hour or so, the air quit again and the temp rose higher than ever. Before heading out that evening, the front desk told us that if it could not be fixed, we would be moved to another room. I was kind of hoping for this...and some swank upgrade...but, alas, they managed to fix the system (although it broke again the morning of our checkout). The hotel did grant us a $75 credit for our sweaty inconvenience.

On our third day we received notice that the following day there would be a water outage from noon until 3 PM, due to the renovation (still in progress). As we were out during that time, we noticed no service interruption.

If your room rate promises you anything special (say, breakfast), be sure to inquire because the desk staff made no effort to inform us of the procedure. I wasn't able to make the hotel breakfast the first three days, but then much confusion ensued and the desk provided us with breakfast "credit" cards for our last two days. I wish I'd know about them all along, but should've asked at the onset.

The 17:00 restaurant is moderately priced (and where you'll get your breakfast, if you have it coming). Some of the servers are terrific. The menu is varied and accommodates any appetite and price. Happy hour runs from 5-7 PM with reduced "sliders" (two-bite burgers, short rib sandwiches, etc.) and drink specials. My only complaint (well, the day after our AC departed, it seems to have departed several other spots in the hotel--including the 17:00 that day), is that I felt the restaurant smelled a bit vomitous. We figured that was probably, ironically, due to some cleaning product. We hope so anyway. The children's menu (which we also didn't know existed at first) was pretty great. The servings were full-sized and kids under 4 eat free (a deciding factor in at least one dinner in).

We never used it, but the hotel fitness center seemed nice, if basic.

On our fifth and final day, we requested a late check out and were given 2 PM. However, upon arriving back to our room at noon, our keycards no longer worked (which required a visit to the front desk for a replacement), then when we tried to call the front desk to request a bellboy/luggage cart, the phone had no dial tone (we were told that the call volume in the hotel was too high, and that shut the phones down).

The staff ranged from polite and attentive to slightly aloof.

The less ideal elements definitely took away from the positive ones, but the location was excellent which helped push this stay from average to slightly above average. My government rate ($138/night, plus tax, booked via the hotel's website) seemed fair for a city in which good Trip Advisor hotel reviews and good prices are hard to find. Parking in the hotel deck ran $20/day, but with in/out privileges. The convenience was hard to beat (valet service is available for $30/day, I think), although our car smelled like cat urine after garaged for the first 2.5 days.

Still, given the apparent lack of affordable and acceptable accommodations, we would probably stay again. I have faith that it's getting better!

• Liked — location, big movable mirror in bath, price, nearby shopping
  • Disliked — lack of proactive staff help, lack of vacuuming, lack of full complement of towels, lack of pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

In our one-night stay at the Radisson we found it to be a nice hotel with friendly, attentive staff. The location is excellent for enjoying weekend in Philadelphia.

Nothing wrong with the room except hallway noise. At night it was as if the door was ajar - I could hear even the whispers of people walking by, and the sounds of other lodgers filling their ice buckets right across the hall was very annoying. We didn't hear any noise from neighboring rooms, but they have to do something about the door soundproofing.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hallway noise
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

Stayed at this Grand hotel for 6 nights during the refurbishment and come on let's be fair it wasn't too bad at all, in fact the room was the best I have ever stayed in massive with two very comfortable double beds, great bathroom with an excellent shower. We had a giant plasma TV a good size desk and plenty of storage space, ample hangers and a safe/ironing board/hairdryer. My only niggle would be that the fridge didn't seem cold enough for me and the heating/air con is noisy but very effective. We overlooked a building site and even on the 12th floor you could hear some noise early in the day. To make up for this, the hotel gave a very generous complimentary breakfast and yes if you were late choice was limited but get there at a decent time and you could feed your face with lots of choices and Starbucks Coffee. The staff were excellent throughout the Hotel and could'nt do enough to help with anything you asked. The location is brilliant lots of shops/sights/transport and Rittenhouse Square.
For what we paid compared to the UK it was sheer luxury, i would love to visit again when the work is completed. And I loved Philly, what a great city!!!

Stayed April 2007
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

Stayed at the Warwick for the first time on business. Renovations are still in progress, but staff was helpful and friendly. Had to switch rooms due to key not working. Had problems with the Select Comfort bed and with the toilet. Sinks are high, but no problem for me. Room was clean and large. Enjoyed the room and the hotel's location.

• Liked — Location, room size, cleanliness
  • Disliked — The bed, toilet had a problem
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Blu Warwick Hotel Philadelphia? Share your experiences!