This is the 2nd time that my husband and I have stayed at this hotel, when we visited Philly. Overall, it is a good hotel with spacious, clean rooms and an excellent hotel staff. The location of the hotel is excellent and there are plenty of nice amenities that keep us coming back: on-site valet parking with in-out privileges for $34/nt, breakfast buffet at the Tavern 17 bar right off the lobby, free wi-fi and comfortable Sleep Number beds.
While we did not bring any pets, this is apparently a pet-friendly hotel until 4/30/13. They have a dedicated pet floor, charge a one-time $50 fee + an additional $10/nt clean-up fee. (Just thought I'd include this info, in case there are other travelers who might need to know this.)
In any case, we had a good stay, but there were a couple of issues to note. We came to this hotel for a 1 night stay, while attending a wedding. While this was not the preferred hotel of the wedding couple, we broke from the pack and gladly stayed here. When we first arrived, we were in such a rush that we dropped off our luggage off to the side of the room and didn't come back until past midnight. Weary from the eventful night, we were getting ready for bed, when a small roach crawled from one of the folds of the bed. My husband was startled by it and I attempted to kill it by whacking it with a sticky lint roller. I wasn't successful and the thing was still wriggling to get free of the roller, when I walked down to the lobby to show the front desk staff what greeted us in our room. Donald Hughes, the night manager, was very professional handling the situation, moved us to a fresh, upgraded room and gave us a voucher for complimentary breakfast. At that, I was satisfied and left to get some rest.
Four hours later, we were abruptly woken from our sleep by strobe lights and a talking fire alarm instructing us to evacuate the building. At 4:15am and disoriented by the sudden emergency, we fumbled in the dark for our shoes and proper street clothes. Then, walked down 7 floors of stairs with other hotel guests in varying degrees of undress (one lady didn't was barefoot and without a coat) into the cold. Another male guest was describing that this was the 2nd time he's had to evacuate this hotel due to a fire alarm, and that the last time was due to some cooking in the kitchen that set off the alarm system.
The fire truck came shortly after we made our way to the front of the hotel. The busboy directed us to congregate in the hotel lobby, since it was cold (temps in the 30s) and as I mentioned earlier, there were guests that weren't dressed for the weather. After 10 mins, the firemen left - false alarm - and we were allowed back onto the floors to our rooms. The next morning, we were greeted by a cordial letter from the General Manager, Joanne Cunningham, apologizing for the "unfortunate and unpreventable incident".
I don't blame the hotel for this happening, but between the roach and the evacuation in the middle of the night, I cannot honestly say that our last stay made our top 10. We would still probably come back to this hotel, because things happen and they clearly do try to keep their guests as satisfied as possible. They have one of the most professional and kind hotel staffs that we've encountered in our travels.