“Great Beginning, Terrible Finish” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Rittenhouse Hotel

You added The Rittenhouse Hotel to your Saves list
The Rittenhouse Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kansas City
“Great Beginning, Terrible Finish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Rittenhouse June 30 for two nights. We were initially delighted by the room and service, both room service and housekeeping were great. We were very, very disappointed, however, that the second night of our stay a wedding party had an outside band that played until 11pm. While this is not an unreasonable time during the weekend, it was a Sunday night, coupled with everyone being exhausted from a great day in Philly sight-seeing. Despite being on the sixth floor it sounded as if the music was next door. Upon talking with reception that night, and in the morning during our check-out, we were told that we could fill out a letter. No manager in which to speak, no one to even listen to our concerns. Very un-five star behavior. It soured the entire experience at the Rittenhouse and made the money we had spent there seem wasted.

• Liked — Room service staff
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2007

I stayed at The Rittenhouse Hotel on June 29th for 1 evening. I had extremely high hopes for this hotel & some of it was met. First of all, when I arrived, there was no doorman to open the door for me & when I did see one, he never spoke to me-this wasn't a big deal, but for a 5 diamond propert, I just expected the door to be held open for me. When I went to check-in, my room was not ready, which I assumed, due to the fact that it was 9 in the morning. However, Michelle, Mary, & Timothy at the Front Desk were not apologetic & never smiled & were not really friendly-I mean, they weren't rude, just not up-beat, polite or friendly in that 5 star hotel way--no better than checking in at a Sheraton, but I don't expect that special touch at a Sheraton. When I called down to get a room change with a sofa, Mary hung up once I said "thank you" & when I went to check out, I asked Timothy a question & he kind of mumbled--un called for & unacceptable. He also screwed my bill up, but it was fixed. The concierge, Susan & Frank were decent. When I asked to get an umbrella, Frank said there was one in my room, but I hadn't even checked in yet...& when he loaned me one he asked me to be sure to bring it back...I don't know...I'm in the Hotel business in New York, so I pick uo on alot of things, so maybe I'm just being picky, but I expect the best when I'm paying alot of money. Susan also gave me incorrect directions to a bakery. One of the bellman was horrible, and met me on the 5th flr for a room change....he was at the end of the hall and yelled, I'm over here....he should have been waiting at the elevator for me, and for that matter, should have came down to my room and escorted me there---what a joke! I did sort of raise my voice at him, but I expected more. However, my Deluxe room was fantastic---Huge, great bathroom, an amazing bed, great park view, etc....Room Service staff were excellent and very polite. Amanda was a pleasure to speak with over the phone in Room Service. The other bellman I encountered was great as well, and very nice. The overall feel of the hotel is very residential, and the rooms have that same feel as well. The room was amazing---very understated, with traditional decor. Housekeping was excellent--again, very friendly! Great location as well, near lots of upscale shops and dining. The park is nice, as well. Overall, I was very impressed with the rooms, just very let down by the service--they should be ashamed, except room service and housekeeping. Would I stay again--for the room, yes, but knowing the service was nothing special! Oh well---live & learn!!!!!

• Liked — size, bathroom, and bed
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Deptford, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I booked two rooms at the Rittenhouse for May 30 - June 1, 2007, one for my husband and I and one for my son and his wife. We cannot say enough good things about our visit. The staff could not have been more pleasant and accomodating. Our slightest request was handled efficiently and effortlessly, nothing was too much for them. Further, the rooms were much larger than your typical hotel room in Philadelphia. I highly recommentd them.

• Liked — The staff was amazing! Friendly, helpful, very nice.
Morristown, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

I stayed here with my son mid-week for just one night. The size of the room was good, but I noticed that it really wasn't that clean. Even the staff at reception had spots on their jackets, where you could tell they hadn't been cleaned recently. This hotel is looking a little worn. Our room had several exposed nail holes in the walls. The room service was not very good. The food quality just wasn't there.
The heated pool was in need of a good clean as well.
On the plus side this hotel is in a good location and the room service staff were polite and prompt. I just think this place needs a bit of a touch up. It is worthy of 4 stars, but no higher. If you want a 5 star experience I would go somewhere else, if you don't expect much and just want a nice location then this is your place.

• Liked — the staff were friendly
  • Disliked — it's appearance
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Rittenhouse for one night and we are looking forward to staying there again in the Fall. All of the staff are extremely pleasant and helpful. The greeting at the reception are, complete with champagne, cookies and chocolate covered strawberries was very much welcome. The rooms are quite spacious and nicely appointed. The bathroom are especially nice. Unfortunately, we did not go to Lacroix or the Tea Room, but we are looking forward to that during our next visit!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Lambertville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

On a spur of the moment impulse I decided to "kidnap" my husband and take him to Philadelphia for our anniversary. We go there a few times a year -- and have stayed at the Sofitel (loved it), Four Seasons (liked it), Ritz Carlton (loved it but we were on the concierge floor and that made it special) and the Hyatt Penn's Landing (eh?).

The Rittenhouse, at a starting price of $450 for a standard room, has always been outside our budget. But oddly -- and it must be said we wanted a one night stay over Memorial Day weekend, not a high season time for Philly -- i got a $300 rate, using Kayak.com (of course the Ritz Carlton was offering rooms at $225 or so; you could tell it was a dead weekend). So, sorry for the long story, but I booked it.

And as said -- outstanding. Not perfection but close enough and, value for money, worth the cost. At $300 that is.

Like others have said, we were greeted on check in with champagne and strawberries -- nice touch (never stayed at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton that does that). They welcomed me "back" and either they were able to pull up a stay some seven years ago (and pre-husband) or they were just being...nice...but the first impression was absolutely lovely. And even for our cheapie fare, we were given a lovely room, fronting the park.

Overhearing that it was our anniversary, a waiter shortly after we got to our room delivered fruit and Fiji water. Nice touch. I remember staying at Kennebunkport's pricey White Barn Inn for our actual honeymoon and management didn't as much offer a "congrats".

The service continued to be exceptional throughout (and I'm alas picky and just was...purring). The location right on the Square (and there are some neat bistro/restaurants behind, on 20th Street, worth a look). Perfect. The room was big enough (and the bathroom was sumptuous, separate bath and shower, thirsty towels, flat screen tv (which we never used). All in all, very very excellent.

Only criticisms: the rooms are big though oddly shaped and that wasn't a big deal but I was surprised that the furnishings were so dated. Dark replica mahogany furnishings, etc. Clunky "old fashioned" television in clunky dark armoire didn't fit the hotel's vibe (or price point; there should have been a DVD player). The mini-bar carried really cheap wine by the half bottle; again, not fitting. Will say we loved the iPod dock!

The only other downer was its in-hotel bar; the Boathouse is alas, dark and claustrophobic (but honestly the neighborhood is so vibrant it wasn't a big deal). We didn't get to Lacroix (went to Le Bec Fin instead and that's another story). Also didn't even know about the pool until it was too late.

Good excuse to go back but wouldn't spend much more than $300....

• Liked — the warmth of its service, its location
  • Disliked — rooms were stodgy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband booked a suite at the Rittenhouse in May for my birthday. We were underwhelmed with the room. The bathroom was tiny and had a combined shower and tub. I cannot understand why standard rooms would have bigger bathrooms than the suites. The towels, however, were nice and fluffy The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was clean. Despite the odd room I rated the Rittenhouse as four stars because the service was excellent. All the employees we met, from the bellman to the valet, were extremely professional and helpful. We would probably stay at the Rittenhouse again, but we wouldn't spend the extra money on a suite.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!