“5 STAR SERVICE” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rittenhouse Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Rittenhouse Hotel to your Saves list
The Rittenhouse Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
weatherly, pa
“5 STAR SERVICE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at "The Rittenhouse" this past weekend while in town for a wedding. Wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly, the amenities were extremely decadent and the accommodations were luxurious. I cannot wait to visit again!!

• Stayed September 2013
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Lorri,

We can't wait to have you back...We truly appreciate your endorsement of our most prominent point of difference, service.

Many thanks,

Reg Archambault

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Rittenhouse Hotel is lovely. The main floors are beautiful with a jewel box of a bar tucked away in the back. La Croix is superb (although I was only there for a cocktail and for breakfast the next day). The room was nice, but needs a bit of a facelift (which I understand is in progress). We had a nice upgrade to a larger room and it had a fabulous view. The staff was very nice and cheerful! They made you feel at home!

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Square.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Ms. Walker,

Senior contributors to TripAdvisor often have the most perceptive insights to what sets us apart from others. We are very proud of our Library Bar and new offerings throughout the property. Coming soon this spring will be a new health club, spa and salon. One thing that does not change is the quality of service from our dedicated. They truly enjoy looking after you and it shows. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with others.

Manhattan, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've stayed at the Rittenhouse twice in recent months -- once for business (a quick one-night trip) and once for pleasure (special birthday celebration for my wife) and the hotel stood out on both occasions for the quality of their service throughout and prime location.

I've stayed at several of the other top-end hotels in Philly (including the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons) a few times and while the rooms at all three fall roughly into the same category of luxurious, comfortable, but not particularly modern, the Rittenhouse manages to stand head and shoulders above through all the "little things" they do right. For example, the new Library Bar noted that it was my wife's birthday and brought a special amenity (a little cake styled as a Tiffany box) despite the fact we were just having one round of pre dinner drinks. Dinner at Lacroix on my business trip was also thoroughly enjoyable, with a great setting overlooking Rittenhouse Square, warm, friendly service, good food and lots of extras. The fitness centre is a touch dated (to be renovated soon), but does offer a full range of equipment in a bright setting (and is better than the basement gym in the Ritz or the Four Seasons).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Clyde,

it is a pleasure to read your impressions of the Rittenhouse Our team here truly tries to make every interaction as personal and welcoming as possible. Thank you so much for recognizing our efforts. We look forward to seeing you again whenever you are in the neighborhood.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I just returned from my twelfth stay at the hotel. It is a very special place. Exceptional service is the main thing. Impeccable. People always polite and go the extra mile, never making you feel they want to rush on to something else. I have only seen this level of service at the top hotels of the world. It is also beautiful: rooms and public places. I have loved it as it was and I am hoping the new renovation will not take away its special-ness, which I guess lies mainly with the staff. They have made the furniture in the lobby more modern and have renovated some rooms in a style that is more commercial and less homey than in the past. Also gone under the new management is the free champagne (endless glasses that is no doubt why this is a thing of the past) that greeted guests lucky enough to arrive at certain times. Still I would surely say that staying anywhere else by here on a visit to Philly is a big mistake. I have stayed at both the Ritz and the 4 Seasons and this place is in a different league. The reviews do not do it justice. Don't miss T on Saturday and Sunday and enjoy the very large pool. Interesting the lowest end rooms in my experience are fabulous and often better than the suites, excepting those on the third floor which have been recently renovated and, though modern, are just great. Many of the rooms have a TV in the bathroom, a touch an addict like me appreciates. Also worth checking out the deals of using either Platinum Amex or Leading Hotels of the World Club to get free upgrades and other goodies.

Room Tip: Many people find the cheapest rooms as good as the suites, except for the special suites like those...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ronald,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your review of the Rittenhouse. We have undergone and continue to perform significant upgrades to the property in order to keep our offerings up to par with our service levels. Your points are well taken and valuable as coming from a seasoned traveler.

We will look for you on future visits. Thanks again.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

First of all, on the plus side, the location of the hotel is excellent, and even excellent plus. 100% safe area. It is right on the square, tons of people walking about thru midnite, and a number of very good restaurants. On the minus side, I recommend a room on an upper floor to escape street noise and it would be wise to insist on one while checking in. I asked for a quiet room on check in and the room assigned was on a lower floor and noisy. Had to switch out. Suite was spacious and quiet, once I got to an upper floor.I also had an issue with maid service, the room was not made up at four pm, when we wandered back in for a quick nap. Towels were thus still on the floor, bed not made, trash not picked up. Still liked the place and would go back. Also, if you have a car there is easy valet parking on site, you just drive up and they take the car. You pay plenty but that's to be expected....also free wifi.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Rittenhouse for your Philadelphia home. On future visits we will be happy to provide your first daily housekeeping service earlier on so you may enjoy the afternoon in a refreshed room. Our higher floors do provide beautiful views and guest room floors start on the fifth floor. We will make a note of your preference on your next reservation as well.

We appreciate your thoughtful comments and look forward to seeing you again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed there with my family for the race over the weekend. We arrived at the hotel around noon or so and although check-in was at 3pm, our room was ready. I had been intouch with the concierge and room booking coordinator prior to my arrival to request a "high" floor and as far away from the elevator as possible. There were able to deliver both with an early check-in and late departure.

The door-men were amazing and helpful. My MIL forgot to leave the key to her car and one of the doorman remembered where we were going to dine and came to the restaurant to get the key from her.

The staff at the front desk was very helpful and pleasant. My son was able to go to the toy chest to get his toy for the stay. The concierge recommended an incredible restaurant for lunch for us. I wish I had consulted him before going to Max Brenner for dinner.

We had a park view King room on the 8th floor. The room was very spacious, but could use some modernizing. The furnishings were definitely dated. We didn't use any of the facilities of the hotel as we were just there for one night. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: park view rooms are quiet!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
We truly appreciate your thoughts regarding your visit to the Rittenhouse. Hopefully you will be able to stay a bit longer on future visits in order to take fuller advantage of our location and amenities. Room décor is in the process of being updated as is our spa, salon and health club. Surely you will enjoy these upgrades and more on return visits.

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We were at the Rittenhouse for three nights to attend a wedding also held there. We had stayed at this hotel many years ago and we were thoroughly impressed. When we arrived we were taken to our room which was spacious and had a great view of the park. We needed a small refrigerator which was delivered quickly. We were told that this was a newly renovated room and other than new wallpaper it was hard to tell. There was not one wall hanging in the room and the bathroom while average was clearly not renovated. My biggest issue was the valet parking. We were told to give them 10 minutes to retrieve the call. I had an early appointment and called for my car as requested. When I got there my car was not there and there were no staff to talk to. After a few minutes someone arrived blamed it on the "night crew" and it took another 15 minutes for my car to be retrieved. In a first class hotel this level of service is unacceptable. Needless to say I was late for my appointment. After bringing this to the attention of the front desk they did apologize and waived one of the valet charges. Other than a few lapses in service it is still a first class hotel and the wedding was beautiful.

Room Tip: Try and overlook the park
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Marc,

Thank you for visiting while in town for the recent wedding you attended. Our standard is indeed ten minutes or less for car retrieval and your experience should have been as seamless in this area as it was throughout the hotel. We will follow up and retrain as necessary to prevent future instances of this nature.

Guest rooms are nearly complete with the notable exception of artwork which is in process. The next phase will include significant upgrades to our health club, spa and salon. We hope you are able to visit again soon.

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!