The Rittenhouse had been my favorite Philadelphia for many years! It used to be such a special boutique hotel offering great customer service. My husband had surprised me with an impromptu overnight stay to be pampered & relax before a scheduled surgery at my once favorite Philadelphia Hotel. Once upon a time, not long ago, you were welcomed with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries & cookies served white glove butler style at check in. Sad to find out, that only happens on the weekends! Disappointment #1. My husband booked our reservation with His American Express Platinum card, as he always does, to get AMX perks. The gentleman checking us in went over the privileges, however, did not apply what we were entitled to & even stating some of the privileges incorrectly. We checked into our room, disappointment #2. It was quite amusing that the gentleman that checked us in acted as he gave us an upgrade, when, in fact, it was the room we booked. In all the previous times we had stayed at the hotel, we always received a nice sized room with a couch. This time, our room was much smaller with two lovely chairs, that you couldn't even sit & watch TV at. While unpacking, I noticed the vanity table was missing the chair. My day of relaxing was not working as planned. I made a call to the front desk asking if they were sold out & asking why we were given such a small room? We were upgraded to the suite next door, which we were thankful for. The bellman moved over our bags while we went to have tea at Mary Cassets. While tea was lovely in the garden room, as always, what was NOT lovely was the hammering & use of a nail gun. Disappointment #3! Why in the world would the General Manager allow hammering occur during the hours if 2-5 while guests are trying to enjoy their tea? And, with apologizing for the inconvenience! I felt as if I were in a Seinfeld episode! Upon entering our new room, my husband received a note from the General Manager welcoming him with a bottle of Fiji water & a bag of trail mix. Did he not realize there were 2 guests? Perhaps the hotel could have spared 2 bottles of water? Or, apologized about the disturbing noise during tea? Although a lovely suite & bathroom, the toil trees were lacking. There was not a bar of soap in the shower, no Q tips, typical standards that even a Ritz would offer. Disappointment #4! I also tried to arrange spa appointments for my husband & I with no luck! Why on earth does a hotel spa have limited hours, limited massage therapists, etc.? There were only 2 massage therapists the entire day, last massage at 4, not licensed in reflexology! I was willing to just even get a manicure, since other services were booked, last appointment of the day at 3:45! Why couldn't they be open until 6 or 7? Disappointment #5! As we left at check out, the staff was happily helping themselves to coffee that was set up for guests, no one around to assist at check out or to assist with luggage or open a door. Disappointment #6! Sadly, we will be switching our stays to the Four Seasons from now on, where the rooms are always more spacious & service is always wonderful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The AAA Five Diamond Award winning Rittenhouse Hotel (24 years consecutively) is rated one of the top hotels in the World as well as #1 hotel in Pennsylvania by Travel + Leisure. The Rittenhouse has an ideal location directly on Rittenhouse Square for business or pleasure. Guests may walk out with easy access to boutique shopping, restaurants and the Center City business district is just steps away. The guestrooms at the Rittenhouse are the largest in the city, the smallest measuring 450-600 square feet, with views of Rittenhouse Square or the city. Guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, overnight shoe shine and newspaper delivery to their room. Lacroix at the Rittenhouse is one of the top restaurants in Philadelphia with panoramic views of Rittenhouse Square. Our Sunday Brunch is rated #1 in Philadelphia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Loews Hotels, Priceline, Venere, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Odigeo so you can book your The Rittenhouse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse Philadelphia