“A disappointment!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Rittenhouse Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Rittenhouse Hotel to your Saves list
The Rittenhouse Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania, United States
“A disappointment!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Rittenhouse had been my favorite Philadelphia for many years! It used to be such a special boutique hotel offering great customer service. My husband had surprised me with an impromptu overnight stay to be pampered & relax before a scheduled surgery at my once favorite Philadelphia Hotel. Once upon a time, not long ago, you were welcomed with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries & cookies served white glove butler style at check in. Sad to find out, that only happens on the weekends! Disappointment #1. My husband booked our reservation with His American Express Platinum card, as he always does, to get AMX perks. The gentleman checking us in went over the privileges, however, did not apply what we were entitled to & even stating some of the privileges incorrectly. We checked into our room, disappointment #2. It was quite amusing that the gentleman that checked us in acted as he gave us an upgrade, when, in fact, it was the room we booked. In all the previous times we had stayed at the hotel, we always received a nice sized room with a couch. This time, our room was much smaller with two lovely chairs, that you couldn't even sit & watch TV at. While unpacking, I noticed the vanity table was missing the chair. My day of relaxing was not working as planned. I made a call to the front desk asking if they were sold out & asking why we were given such a small room? We were upgraded to the suite next door, which we were thankful for. The bellman moved over our bags while we went to have tea at Mary Cassets. While tea was lovely in the garden room, as always, what was NOT lovely was the hammering & use of a nail gun. Disappointment #3! Why in the world would the General Manager allow hammering occur during the hours if 2-5 while guests are trying to enjoy their tea? And, with apologizing for the inconvenience! I felt as if I were in a Seinfeld episode! Upon entering our new room, my husband received a note from the General Manager welcoming him with a bottle of Fiji water & a bag of trail mix. Did he not realize there were 2 guests? Perhaps the hotel could have spared 2 bottles of water? Or, apologized about the disturbing noise during tea? Although a lovely suite & bathroom, the toil trees were lacking. There was not a bar of soap in the shower, no Q tips, typical standards that even a Ritz would offer. Disappointment #4! I also tried to arrange spa appointments for my husband & I with no luck! Why on earth does a hotel spa have limited hours, limited massage therapists, etc.? There were only 2 massage therapists the entire day, last massage at 4, not licensed in reflexology! I was willing to just even get a manicure, since other services were booked, last appointment of the day at 3:45! Why couldn't they be open until 6 or 7? Disappointment #5! As we left at check out, the staff was happily helping themselves to coffee that was set up for guests, no one around to assist at check out or to assist with luggage or open a door. Disappointment #6! Sadly, we will be switching our stays to the Four Seasons from now on, where the rooms are always more spacious & service is always wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Lisa,

We welcome your comments and would like to have the opportunity to be your favorite hotel in Philadelphia once again.

Towards that end, we are taking many steps to ensure that your experience will be the best it can be-- including extending complimentary champagne and strawberries upon arrival to seven day.; This has historically been offered on weekends. Every room on every floor is uniquely configured and all will be renovated this year. The disruption from finish work in our main Lobby was certainly unintentional, however I am happy to report all work has been completed in this area.

Bath amenities are placed on the vanity and bathtub but we will be happy to place additional soaps in the shower should you prefer on future visits. Lastly, this fall we will entirely revamp our spa and fitness offerings including new a provider, products and hours of operations.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may assist with a future booking or anything at all.

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
westport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My little family of four just returned from 4 days at the lovely Rittenhouse. Neither child wanted to leave, both very happy in both Philadelphia and our Square view suite at the Rittenhouse.

And really, who could blame them? The suite was comfortable and reasonably spacious, sporting a foyer, a 1/2 bath, desk, couch, wingback and table for two in colonial style, sporting prints on the walls, and a gorgeous view of the budding trees in Rittenhouse park. They were treated like princesses, offered gifts on arrival, sent cookies and milk as a first night treat, were greeted with their names spelled in sponges in the tub, and played for hours in the pool. Both room service and LaCroix were extremely gracious and accomodating to their six and three year old needs.

Mom and Dad were happy, too. Our bedroom had a king bed covered in beautiful linens, its own 42" flat screen, two comfortable arm chairs, a dressing area/vanity, and a marble bath with shower and large tub. There was plenty of room to stretch out and find some personal space.

The hotel design is classic luxury, as opposed to modern, which suits the surrounding neighborhood well. The location is perfect for shopping on Walnut and Chestnut streets, and quick trips (10 mins) to the major attractions. The area is rife with excellent restaurants in all directions, and is three blocks from Capogiro Gelato, which is a must visit. But if you don't feel like walking, you won't go wrong with the two options in the hotel proper: Smith and Wollensky's steakhouse, and LaCroix for amazing continental fare.

The staff was uniformly excellent, solicitous, and personal. Housekeeping called us by name every morning. FOH staff was also excellent. Room Service was prompt, polite and friendly.

My nits were minor, and I present this list only for the most finnicky traveler. The valet parking charge is $41 per day, which I think is pretty high. There is no cordless phone in the room. Outlets are hard to find for charging electronics on the nightstands, where most travelers park their ipads and phones these days. It would be nice to have a master light switch near the bed. The curtains didn't fully black out the windows, and the heating/cooling fan is on the loud side (doesn't bother me, but I know some very light sleepers...). I suspect the rooms will be refurbished in the next few years, as some of the bath fixtures and furniture are due for updating. The flat screens in the bathrooms are nice, but take up valuable sink real estate, and there is room for two sinks in the master, but there is only one. It was a shame that the Cassat room was closed for renovations, but we'll save that for the next visit.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Park view is definitely worth paying extra.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Your detailed and thoughtful review of The Rittenhouse also "covers all bases". Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to recognize our efforts!

In regards to improvements, much of your well taken points will be addressed as we refresh all of our guest rooms this year. The lobby and tea room are nearly complete as well. We will continuously polish our product and focus on the service levels you and your family enjoyed.

Please join us again soon.

Many Thanks,

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Can't wait til all the renovations are competed. The hotel looks great and the quality of materials being used will only amplify the beauty of the hotel. As usual, service and food was excellent. Had a discussion with the Chef about sustainability and was pleasantly surprise to hear about the care taken to where food (especially meat and fish) products are purchased.

Room Tip: Within walking distance to lots of activities in Philadelphia.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We are certainly excited about our recent upgrades as well. As we enter the summer months you will note a beautified reception and lobby area as well as refinements in the guest hallways and rooms.

In the kitchen and elsewhere we are committed to sustainability through our Earthview program. Thank you for inquiring and recognizing our efforts on all levels.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Rittenhouse after viewing the Barnes Collection. It was an excellent pairing. After a pleasant train ride from New York, we checked in to the Rittenhouse, went off to the Barnes Collection only several minutes cab ride away and then returned for dinner at the hotel's Lacroix restaurant and a night at the hotel, returning to New York the next morning. The Barnes Collection is an unbelievable and unique experience: the most amazing collection of art imaginable and beautifully displayed. It alone is worth the trip.

The Rittenhouse is a modern hotel with old-world intimacy and charm. The staff quickly learn the guests' names and use them. The concierge was very helpful and the other staff were very eager to please as well -- from the doormen to the bellmen to the chambermaid.

We had a delicious dinner at the hotel's Lacroix restaurant. If we had stayed another night, we would probably have eaten at the Smith & Wolensky restaurant that is also in the hotel.

We were upgraded to a large and well-furnished suite with all the expected amenities, including 3 televisions, a hi-fi to connect an iPhone or iPod, a lovely and comfortable bed with excellent linens and a duvet. The bathroom provided a large tub and a separate shower, with a dressing room en suite. Providing an iron and ironing board is a welcome extra for travelers who like to dress well after unpacking their suitcases.

Our package (from American Express Platinum) included both continental breakfast and a $100 credit for either Lacroix restaurant or the 210 Bar, which was a real bargain.

There is a first class gym and spa and a very nice indoor pool on site.

The locale -- Rittenhouse Square -- offers a nice park and a nice view.

We will surely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jacques,

Thank you very much for your take on your recent visit to The Rittenhouse. We continue to partner with the Barnes Foundation to provide access to this wonderful addition to the city of Philadelphia. The hotel itself boasts a perfect location which we try to compliment with personal service.

Please come visit us again soon. We appreciate your return business greatly.

Red Bank, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

My only criticism is that they should have informed my company's travel booking department of the renovation work going on in the common areas of the hotel. A minor inconvenience, however worth mentioning when room rates are $300 plus per night. Otherwise, they have gotten everything else right. Exemplary customer service. The concierge provided me with a tie for my meeting last minute, as I had forgotten to pack one. I gave him a small tip as I was in a rush and did not have change. As I returned the tie the next morning and attempted to give him a proper tip, he literally refused to accept it, saying it was no big deal. That is real impressive stuff, and I will absolutely be returning to stay here again for both business and pleasure. Breakfast at Lacroix is pricey, but well worth the views of Rittenhouse Square. Plenty of restaurants and night life on the Square. Room was huge, clean and very nicely appointed. Bathroom had a small tv and phone, nice touch. Great spot.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Knowing our Concierge, there are few lengths we would not go to look after you. Thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing to stay with us.

Our lobby renovations are nearly complete and we will continue with refreshes of guest hallways and rooms this summer. We expect this work to be much less obtrusive. Please join us again soon for a spot of tea or cool beverage in our Library Bar or Cassatt Tea Room.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is currently renovating but you would not really know. They want to make the guest experience number one. I stay here a lot and it is the nicest hotel I have found in Philly. You won't be disappointed staying at this amazing hotel

• Stayed April 2013
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Coming from a top contributor and well travelled person such as you, this review is especially meaningful. thank you very much for recognizing our efforts. I am happy to report that our newly renovated lobby will be complete next week and we have several other improvements planned over the coming months. We will take care to ensure that service and ambiance does not suffer in the mean time.

Safe travels to you! We hope to see you again very soon...

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My daughter, granddaughter and I visited Philadelphia overnight and had a lovely time at this fine hotel. Not only was the staff courteous and helpful, they went out of their way to accommodate our 7 year old. When the beds were turned down, they had a small robe and slippers on her bed. We even received delicious popcorn to accompany a free movie. We were driven to dinner in their hotel Jaguar and enjoyed every minute of their wonderful services.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We truly appreciate your thoughtful feedback on your stay at The Rittenhouse. Our youngest guests are very important to us and we try to make them feel special at every turn. It sounds as if your granddaughter is a new fan!

Thank you for bringing your family to visit. We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!