“The Best Place in Philly!” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“The Best Place in Philly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is currently renovating but you would not really know. They want to make the guest experience number one. I stay here a lot and it is the nicest hotel I have found in Philly. You won't be disappointed staying at this amazing hotel

• Stayed April 2013
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Coming from a top contributor and well travelled person such as you, this review is especially meaningful. thank you very much for recognizing our efforts. I am happy to report that our newly renovated lobby will be complete next week and we have several other improvements planned over the coming months. We will take care to ensure that service and ambiance does not suffer in the mean time.

Safe travels to you! We hope to see you again very soon...

463 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My daughter, granddaughter and I visited Philadelphia overnight and had a lovely time at this fine hotel. Not only was the staff courteous and helpful, they went out of their way to accommodate our 7 year old. When the beds were turned down, they had a small robe and slippers on her bed. We even received delicious popcorn to accompany a free movie. We were driven to dinner in their hotel Jaguar and enjoyed every minute of their wonderful services.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
We truly appreciate your thoughtful feedback on your stay at The Rittenhouse. Our youngest guests are very important to us and we try to make them feel special at every turn. It sounds as if your granddaughter is a new fan!

Thank you for bringing your family to visit. We look forward to seeing you very soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and two children (6 and a half year old daughter and 1 and a half year old son) just came back from an overnight trip to Philly. I can say, without question, that The Rittenhouse Hotel is one of the all time greats. From the minute we pulled up, we were treated like royalty. While I checked in, the Bellhop invited my children to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest".

I explained that I was concerned that my son, a screamer, might keep people up at night. I was assured that the position of our room (one of the 08 rooms) was such that it would not be disruptive to guests nearby. The room, by the way, was an upgrade from the original room we booked. We were grateful for the additional space and the amazing view of the park across the way.

The concierge staff was extremely helpful to suggest an itinerary for our short visit, and we managed to see many of the famous sights, and ate well. We even managed to take a ride in the Jaguar to pick up a late night cheesesteak!

My only regret was that tea was not served in the Cassatt Room. It was the highlight of a previous visit, and I wanted my wife and daughter to experience it. Because of the renovation, the tea was served in a small board room. My daughter still felt like a princess, but I would have loved to see her face light up when walking into the Cassatt room.

All in all, it was a really special trip and we look forward to staying at The Rittenhouse again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of The Rittenhouse! We greatly appreciate your feedback and are happy to announce that our lobby renovations will be completed in a few weeks time. We will once again be offering Afternoon Tea in Cassatt and will have an additional bar on the lobby level as well.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again sometime soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wanted to give this hotel 4 stars I really did, but in truth it falls short of 'very good'

We arrived here by happy accident. We had mistakenly booked into the Rttenhouse 'boutique" hotel a few weekends prior. (its around the corner) We were greeted with champagne and cookies at reception and on realizing our mistake, we were invited to finish our treat before heading off to the hotel we had accidentally booked.
We were so impressed by this greeting that we vowed to return and use the hotel at a later date.
When we did return for 4 nights over Easter recently, no champagne and cookies! Oh well maybe it was a one off, I'm really curious to know?

We used lots of the facilities, including the spa and the french restaurant, and here are the ups and downs we experienced:-

The rooms are extremely large, comfortable and have fabulous views of the park. Maid service was top notch. The decor is dated, though, and a few fairly simple changes could spruce them up. We also had the room next door to the presidential suite, that has a piano. There was a young child staying next door in the suite who took a liking to said piano rather early...Soundproofing is not the best:)

Likewise, the spa (where we dropped about 600 bucks for 2) was tired and NOT up to the standard of a classy hotel. Small grubby changing rooms etc. The treatments themselves were fine, but I would choose somewhere more sumptuous next time. Work on the feng shui guys.

Dinner at the French restaurant (where we also dropped about $500 for 2) was quality as expected, but it didn't end well.... We took a fairly late booking around 9. We are European, so we don't bolt our food or do the "early bird" :) As the other dinners left and the ambience drifted away we were treated to the construction site scene of the tables being broken down for breakfast all around us. It was LOUD! It made us feel most unwelcome and "in the way" so we headed to the bar with our drinks. The waiter clocked what had happened and was most apologetic. As was the manager/sommelier who appeared. The right things were said, and they have noted that this should not happen. I truly believe they will put a stop to it, but alas for us, instead of staring into each others eyes amorously after a nice meal, we were discussing restaurant etiquette with the staff, the moment gone.

On the first night we arrived back at the hotel looking for the hotel bar for a nightcap. (Not terribly late, perhaps 10.45pm.) There is a bar in the french restaurant up on the second floor, but it is around the corner and you have to pass the host/hostess table to access it. We asked the guy on duty where the bar was as we wanted a nightcap and he said it would be closing shortly. When we exclaimed that a large hotel in a city closing its bar so early was not up to par, there was much back tracking and descriptions of how how the bar was often open until 1.am. We left, headed downstairs and found the bar in the steakhouse adjoining.
A bar in the lobby, (which is the heart of a hotel no?) would be most welcome.

We had rented bicycles that were delivered to the hotel. All went well there in retrieving and dropping off from the concierge to the bellmen, to the doormen.

There are some great staff in the hotel and I am sure that they work very hard, but perhaps a word of encouragement/advice from the senior management would be well placed.
An example.
In one elevator ride, a member of staff greeted me and chatted; wonderful.
On another occasion, two staff turned their back on me (the guest) and chatted together, I had to ask them to move so I could exit the elevator.
Its going that extra mile that makes the difference and in some departments things are not quite firing on all cylinders.
I hope that this criticism can be taken constructively. Its not in malice. I really was rooting for you all after the original champagne moment.

Will we go back?
Perhaps... We love Philly and the Rittenhouse neighbourhood in particular. The rooms have delightful views over the park.
On our last evening though we stopped for a drink at the Sofitel around the corner. In their "lobby bar" :)
We liked the vibe. Everything looked new, shiny and sophisticated. The barman was friendly. We will probably give them a try first.

Room Tip: We were in room 818. Wonderful views of the park but beware the grand piano next door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jonah,

We hope to earn not only "Very Good" but "Excellent" ratings from you on future visits. Many things are already in motion such as our lobby renovations complete with a new library and bar. Champagne on arrival is currently offered on weekend only but will be extended once our upgrades are complete. Further, the spa, salon and fitness area are next up for a complete face lift.

As always, we pride ourselves on service and sincerely hope that you return. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance whatsoever.

Lancaster, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with a great location on Rittenhouse Square. For those familiar with the hotel's beautiful lobby--it is temporarily behind a wall while they complete renovations. We were disappointed since its one of its best features and includes the Cassatt Tea Room.
Rooms-nicely appointed. Beds--very comfortable (soft). Recommend the scrapple on the breakfast menu. Service in general seemed a bit off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for joining us. We anticipate having our lobby fully completed in the next few weeks, complete with the Cassatt space an a new library and bar. Please forgive this short term disruption as we make permanent improvements to the property.

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime soon.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My experience at The Rittenhouse Hotel was the best that I have ever experienced. This was the most expensive hotel that I have ever stayed in, and it was worth every penny. Starting with the lady who made my reservation to the young man who took care of my checkout, everything was outstanding. If I am ever in Philadelphia again, I will definitely stay at The Rittenhouse Hotel.

Room Tip: I experienced the King Suite which was first class and had a view of the Rittenhouse Square
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your high praise of The Rittenhouse. We are proud to have made such an impression on you and hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

New York NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Amazing location, beautiful large rooms, great view, superb service. Free Jaguar, when available, to drive you to your favorite restaurant, or to your meeting! Small gym, but very well equipped. The service is among the best I ever experienced. I highly recommend this hotel if you are going to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor room facing the park
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting and taking a moment to share your experience with others. Good to hear that our amenities are in keeping with what you expect. Please also note, our fitness and spa facilities will be fully upgraded and refreshed this fall. Please come back when you have the opportunity.

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!