“the only place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Remarkable Rittenhouse
Ranked #1 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“the only place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Having grown up in Philly, and now frequently visit my son at university of pennsylvania, i am especially aware of how special this hotel is. First the square area is easily the best location for any visitor to Philadelphia. Great shopping, wonderful restaurants, great scenery, and easy access, make this hotel the best. Beginning with the wonderful valet services, the staff are very kind and willing to provide great service. This hotel is more like a small luxury brand, despite its size. The check in is very efficient and navigating through the hotel is very easy. The restaurants are wonderful, especially you have to try the breakfast. American express has this hotel in their collection, hence, credits for food are available. All rooms are enormous, have a pull out sofa for a child, and have great bathrooms. Overall a great location, great staff, and a very comfortable experience. This is why, this is the only place to stay in philly...Very easy access to u of penn and drexel.............enjoy

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Ira,

We can't thank you enough for touting our location, amenites and most of all-- service. We are a small independent hotel and truly feel this enables us to extend personal service to every guest. It means a great deal to us that you feel strongly enough to recommend us to others.

Please join us again soon!

Best Regards,

431 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wow what a place. We have stayed in plenty of nice places,but this could be the best Philly has to offer. Top shelf rooms. Class and style all the way. Enjoyed this place tremendously. The decor is very high end and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was large and very well appointed. We will return here for sure. Place is close to everything and houses Smith&Wollensky and LaCroix

Room Tip: Get the 600 sq foot upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
It was a pleasure having you with us! We will continue to add to our amenities in the coming year and hope you are able to come back soon. Please continue to make us your hotel of choice and thank you for choosing to stay at The Rittenhouse...

-Reg Archambault
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had been staying in a different hotel for my occasional trips to Philadelphia and this time decided to try The Rittenhouse because of its central location. I could not have had a more pleasant experience! From the moment of the check in ( done with speed and efficiency and a glass of champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and cookies) to the very spacious room with a gorgeous view of Rittenhouse Square to the health club, spa and gym everything was great. We were even treated to a free trip in their brand new Jaguar to our restaurant on Saturday night.
The Rittenhouse is definitely our new hotel destination when traveling to Philadelphia!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for highlighting our location and house car in your review. We are happy to have you as our guest. Please let us know if there is anything you would like to see in terms of improvements or enhancements for future stays. We want to earn your top marks on every trip.

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed one night at the Rittenhouse hotel during an overseas business trip. The air heating system was incredibly noisy (unfortunately as often at US hotels) but this time probably to the limit. I had to sleep with ear plugs. Besides, the room furnitures and decoration are old-fashioned, bathroom from an other century.
Staff is nice and effective though, breakfast was decent as well. Good gym, though freezing cold.
When will american hotels get inspirationfrom best in class hotels in the world, like one can find in Europe or in Asia? It should be possible; see Four Seasons...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
I am truly sorry to hear that your recent visit was affected by a malfunctioning heating system. Each guest room has its own heating/air conditioning unit which on rare occasion may fail. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we may immediately replace the offending unit.

As noted in other posts, all of our guest rooms, bathrooms and hallways will be refreshed this year. We hope you have an opportunity to join us again soon.
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

After searching review after review after review, I decided to take The Rittenhouse up on their "Family Friendly" atmosphere and bring my 3 younger kids up to Philadelphia for a weekend getaway. To help out where some information may be lacking, this review will focus mainly on how my kids (3, 6, 10) viewed the hotel.

Our arrival was nothing short of magical for them! After pulling up, the smartly dressed staff went to work immediately opening car doors, unloading the luggage, greeting the kids on their level, and helping my 2 small girls out of the car and onto the sidewalk...a true "White Glove" treatment for 2 little girls who L-O-V-E to be treated like princesses (yes, we spoil them...hence, The Rittenhouse! haha). My 10-year old son...well, although his face was typical of a pre-teen boy, he was thankful of the help from the gentlemen with his luggage.

Check-In was another pleasureable experience, while I was handling the paperwork, my son immediately helped himself to the chocolate covered strawberries and cookies on the desk, after the offer from the Staff! My girls were delighted when the Concierge ushered them over to the Treasure Box in the lobby, where they were each able to select a toy (from what I saw, they were not the .25c, Dollar Store "bulk toys" either - most were brand name and were all brand new). It actually took the kids longer to select their gift than it did for me to sign into the room! The Front Desk Staff were helpful and very pleasurable after a long drive.

We arrived in our room, a 9th Floor corner room, overlooking Rittenhouse Square. The floor was quiet, and the room was HUGE! I base that comparison after staying at the Ritz, and the Four Seasons in Philadelphia as well. The 3 kids were ecstatic to see that we had 4 large windows that they could view the city out of. The bathroom was massive when compared to othe area hotels, and was CLEAN and wll stocked with plenty of towels and amenities (including a TV!). Evening turndown service arrived, and left 4 bottles of water, some chocolates, as well as 3 child-size bathrobes and slippers for the kids. They loved being able to put these on, and cuddle together in front of the large TV in the room, while awaiting Room Service. I loved the fact that The Rittenhouse offered several "Kids Menu" choices on their Room Service menu. room service was quick, the food was excellent, and the price (for room service at a 5-Star Hotel was comparable to other places). They do include the gratuity, which is nice as it keeps you from having to fumble for tips while your hungry kids are dying to dig in! We had both dinner, and dessert the next night, from Room Service - with neither night disappointing the kids.

A crib was delivered for my youngest, which was large and sturdy (not the typical pack & play). Child bath amenities were also delivered with the crib, which is a nice touch. The pullout sofa-bed was clean, and they delivered clean sheets (and even offered to come in and make the bed for us).

After a restful night, in an extremely quiet room (low vehicle noise from outside, NONE from the hotel), we ventured down to the famed breakfast at LaCroix. We were sat at a window table, and yet again the Wait Staff didn't fail to give their very best. Our glasses were never empty of water or orange juice. I opted for the buffet, which was adequate. The food was hot, plenty of selection - and the waiter had no issues with me continually going for the SUPERB fruit and giving it to my kids. All 3 ordered off of the Children's Breakfast Menu (at only $8 each), and while my son was satisified - my 2 girls did not care for the French Toast or the Silver Dollar Pancakes. While the portions were large, considering it was a kid's meal, the pancakes were a bit overcooked (black on the bottom), and the french toast was rather dry. The waiter did apologize, and offered to bring them something else, but they had already had their fill from "my" buffet, and we were on a schedule to see the city.

The Rittenhouse is in a much better part of town, I feel, than being near City Center. Rittenhouse Square gave the kids some open space to run off a bit of their breakfast before walking the 10 minutes down to Logan Square where the Natural History Museum and Franklin Institute are. With the Concierge helping other guests, I asked the Doormen the best way - their directions were spot-on! Straight shot, with no "questionable" areas along the way.

For someone who travels "for" their children all of the time, the little touches presented by The Rittenhouse showed that they truly cater to ALL guests - not only the adults. My children loved it, and it is clear to see why the hotel is rated #1 in Philadelphia by a number of reputable sources.

For what it's worth, hopefully this review assisted those travelling with smaller children - the place is truly immaculate and the staff is just superb when it comes to dealing with the kids, and the parents as well!

Room Tip: Any room ending in "08"; I prefer higher floors to avoid the stomping you may hear from th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Children are an important part of our business...they are our future guests after all! Many families travel with their kids and we think it is imperative that they are recognized and made to feel special. Thank you for taking the time to let others know about your experience at the Rittenhouse. We hope that you and your family join us for many years to come.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had to say this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Was there on business and saw this hotel. Rooms were excellent the service was great. Got room service and food was good and everyone was nice. This is a hotel you should stay at when in Philadelphia!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We truly appreciate your vote on confidence in us. We continually strive to the the preferred place to stay in Philadelphia and thank you for recognizing us as such. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to the Rittenhouse whenever you are in town.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We expect The Rittenhouse to be a great hotel and in many ways, it is. I have stayed there once a year for about the last 3 years and would like to share what I feel may be some areas in which things could be improved.

So here are my usual pros and cons:

Pros
- The rooms are vast, spotless and tastefully decorated
- The service is almost perfect (see my few exceptions below)
- The food is great
- Perfect location

Cons
- The greeting I received from reception was less than satisfactory: my husband's name and not mine was listed on the reservation. I was told to have my husband call reception to confirm this, which is fair enough, but the manner in which I was treated left me feeling more like a suspect than a customer.
- I did not find the hotel business-friendly: a glass desk top upon which no mouse will work, computer leads that could link a laptop to the TV but nowhere near the desk (both are common complaints of mine)
- The very worse thing: The wifi was awful. Painfully slow on both computers, zero reception in the restaurant and poor service elsewhere. I had an important conference call and had to go in search of a cafe outside. The staff were pretty unhelpful in explaining why or helping to find a solution. Really, can any hotel afford to have shoddy wifi these days?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for joining us, your feedback is greatly appreciated. We have a new internet provider and will investigate the root cause of the Wi-Fi issue immediately. This amenity is crucial and we are committed to having high quality spped and performance at all times. On the service side, please forgive our officiousness at arrival. Certainly we can and will soften our approach going forward.

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!