“Excellent hotel in central Philadelphia” 5 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Excellent hotel in central Philadelphia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Rittenhouse many times, and it is an excellent hotel. It has a perfect location on Rittenhouse square. The rooms are good sized and very nicely appointed. Unlike some other comments that have been posted, I think the room decor is outstanding. So many top flight hotels these days have gone metal, sterile and cold with their decor, whereas the Rittenhouse rooms have a tremendous sense of home, comfort and sanctuary. These are rooms that you actually like to spend time in on a rainy day with a good book! I hope as the hotel refreshes the decor in 2013 that it doesn't lose any of these fine qualities, and resists the urge to go trendy.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Travelpro513,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. We will certainly keep our focus on comfort and home-like warmth when we refresh our rooms in the coming year. Our real focus will remain on personal service which will never change... no matter how many times we upgrade the product.

The fact that you are a frequent and repeat guest is very important to us. Please let me know if I may ever be of any assistance at all.

460 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is not part of a chain, but I really enjoyed this hotel.
The rooms a re extremely well equipped, with a sitting area besides the bed room. They have great room service, including polishing your shoes free of charge and are very helpful in every way.
Considering the hotel grade, not too expensive.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear yacovk,

Thank you for taking the time to let others know of your experience at the Rittenhouse. We are an independent hotel and are therefore more flexible than others when it comes to how we approach service. I am happy to see that you found us both refreshing and welcoming.

Please make us your hotel of choice in Philadelphia. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a good hotel in a good part of Philadelphia, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype on here or the self-celebration you come upon at every turn in the hotel itself. The building is an 80s or 90s concrete and girder construction, and the dated sumptuousness of the hotel seems somewhat pasted on, and a tiny bit shabby. Rooms are large and very comfortable. Service was excellent on the whole, except when we crashed the ground-floor lounge whilst afternoon tea was being served, and collapsed onto a sofa after a long day of walking in the city. We were more or less shooed out of the room as if we were homeless tramps who didn't belong in the hallowed halls and pretentious splendour of the tea lounge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Mr. Bager,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding your stay at our hotel. While our afternoon tea is quite popular at this time of year, we always reserve spots for our guests. I am truly sorry if you were made to feel unwelcome in any way. Please let me know the next time you plan to return and we will gladly arrange to have you join us with our compliments for this offering.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of a week-long business stay at The Rittenhouse, perfectly located on the northwest corner of Rittenhouse Square which is the best community in the city. It is less than five minutes to countless shops, boutiques, cafes and bars. The room itself was surprising large, and everything was very clean and comfortable. I am not sure if the service was as anticipated, it was almost as if they knew that I had a lower than average room rate and thus seemed less interested in me than some of the other guests. Steak dinner at the on-site Smith and Wollensky was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear traveltime841,

Thank you for joining us and taking the time to review your experience. Regardless of room rate, you should expect the same levels of service throughout the hotel. I would be happy to follow up with you directly should you wish to elaborate further.

Regardless, we hope that you make us your go-to hotel in Philadelphia. Best wishes for the holidays to you and your family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I was really disappointed! The hotel is shabby, the rooms pokey and sad (and I was upgraded to a suite) and the bathrooms were cramped and old fashioned. There is no charm --just drabness. I would pass on this experience. The valet parking is $49 and it took over 1/2 an hour to get my car in the morning and they weren't busy. Nothing was good here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ginny00,

I am truly sorry that you came away so disappointed from your visit with us. Your point is well taken on the room product and all guest rooms are scheduled be refreshed in 2013. Regardless, all rooms at all times should be pleasantly appointed and immaculately clean despite their interior design.

Valet parking is charges are competitive with other hotels in Center City but we will happily adjust yours as a gesture of goodwill. Please join us again at your convenience. I assure you that your experience will be much more in keeping with what you expect.

Sincerely yours,

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the second stay at the Rittenhouse Hotel and, once again, we were most impressed. Everything, from reservations to departure was topnotch. The rooms were large, clean and quiet. The location is perfect, allowing easy access to the historic area and UPenn. We had breakfast at their restaurant on two occasions. Food was good, service was perfect, and the view of Rittenhouse Square was quite nice.
Although the hotel itself is exquisite, what we most appreciated was the attentive and friendly service. This staff at this hotel went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and memorable. In fact, I had asked for a fan and one was promptly brought up to our room. It was a bit noisy, so I called housekeeping and requested another. I was told that they had no more fans. When I asked them to keep me in mind when one was returned, I was dumbfounded when I was told that they'd go out and buy one. Two hours later, a brand new fan was delivered to my room. If that's not service, I don't know what is! 5 STARS!

Room Tip: Just be very specific about what you want and, from our experience, you will not be disappointed. R...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mac5Miami_FL,

We truly appreciate your review of your stay. Personalized service is very important to us and I am happy to see that you experienced this first hand.

I look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team, who will certainly be encouraged by your thoughtful remarks.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in an excellent location. The restaurants and spa are wonderful. My room was clean and very nice. With the exception of the housekeeping staff and the bellman/valet staff, the hotel staff were not very friendly or warm. The front desk staff were slow to respond and void of personality and warmth. As a result, I did not like the feel of the hotel. I think with friendlier attentive staff this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Katie2242,

Thank you for choosing us for your Philadelphia home. I am truly saddened to hear about your experience at the Front Desk because it certainly is not representative of how we normally treat our guests. Our emphasis is always on personal service and warmth. Clearly, we fell far short of the mark during your visit.

I will research this to find the root cause and thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is through thoughtful comments such as yours that we can improve.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assitance going forward.

Sincerely yours,

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!