“Good but not magnificent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Rittenhouse Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Rittenhouse Hotel to your Saves list
The Rittenhouse Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   210 West Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Suite Indulgence Spa Pack
Ranked #1 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Good but not magnificent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a good hotel in a good part of Philadelphia, but it doesn't quite live up to the hype on here or the self-celebration you come upon at every turn in the hotel itself. The building is an 80s or 90s concrete and girder construction, and the dated sumptuousness of the hotel seems somewhat pasted on, and a tiny bit shabby. Rooms are large and very comfortable. Service was excellent on the whole, except when we crashed the ground-floor lounge whilst afternoon tea was being served, and collapsed onto a sofa after a long day of walking in the city. We were more or less shooed out of the room as if we were homeless tramps who didn't belong in the hallowed halls and pretentious splendour of the tea lounge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Mr. Bager,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments regarding your stay at our hotel. While our afternoon tea is quite popular at this time of year, we always reserve spots for our guests. I am truly sorry if you were made to feel unwelcome in any way. Please let me know the next time you plan to return and we will gladly arrange to have you join us with our compliments for this offering.

Reg Archambault

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of a week-long business stay at The Rittenhouse, perfectly located on the northwest corner of Rittenhouse Square which is the best community in the city. It is less than five minutes to countless shops, boutiques, cafes and bars. The room itself was surprising large, and everything was very clean and comfortable. I am not sure if the service was as anticipated, it was almost as if they knew that I had a lower than average room rate and thus seemed less interested in me than some of the other guests. Steak dinner at the on-site Smith and Wollensky was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear traveltime841,

Thank you for joining us and taking the time to review your experience. Regardless of room rate, you should expect the same levels of service throughout the hotel. I would be happy to follow up with you directly should you wish to elaborate further.

Regardless, we hope that you make us your go-to hotel in Philadelphia. Best wishes for the holidays to you and your family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I was really disappointed! The hotel is shabby, the rooms pokey and sad (and I was upgraded to a suite) and the bathrooms were cramped and old fashioned. There is no charm --just drabness. I would pass on this experience. The valet parking is $49 and it took over 1/2 an hour to get my car in the morning and they weren't busy. Nothing was good here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Ginny00,

I am truly sorry that you came away so disappointed from your visit with us. Your point is well taken on the room product and all guest rooms are scheduled be refreshed in 2013. Regardless, all rooms at all times should be pleasantly appointed and immaculately clean despite their interior design.

Valet parking is charges are competitive with other hotels in Center City but we will happily adjust yours as a gesture of goodwill. Please join us again at your convenience. I assure you that your experience will be much more in keeping with what you expect.

Sincerely yours,

Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the second stay at the Rittenhouse Hotel and, once again, we were most impressed. Everything, from reservations to departure was topnotch. The rooms were large, clean and quiet. The location is perfect, allowing easy access to the historic area and UPenn. We had breakfast at their restaurant on two occasions. Food was good, service was perfect, and the view of Rittenhouse Square was quite nice.
Although the hotel itself is exquisite, what we most appreciated was the attentive and friendly service. This staff at this hotel went out of their way to make our stay comfortable and memorable. In fact, I had asked for a fan and one was promptly brought up to our room. It was a bit noisy, so I called housekeeping and requested another. I was told that they had no more fans. When I asked them to keep me in mind when one was returned, I was dumbfounded when I was told that they'd go out and buy one. Two hours later, a brand new fan was delivered to my room. If that's not service, I don't know what is! 5 STARS!

Room Tip: Just be very specific about what you want and, from our experience, you will not be disappointed. R...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mac5Miami_FL,

We truly appreciate your review of your stay. Personalized service is very important to us and I am happy to see that you experienced this first hand.

I look forward to sharing your feedback with the entire team, who will certainly be encouraged by your thoughtful remarks.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is a lovely hotel in an excellent location. The restaurants and spa are wonderful. My room was clean and very nice. With the exception of the housekeeping staff and the bellman/valet staff, the hotel staff were not very friendly or warm. The front desk staff were slow to respond and void of personality and warmth. As a result, I did not like the feel of the hotel. I think with friendlier attentive staff this could be a great hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Katie2242,

Thank you for choosing us for your Philadelphia home. I am truly saddened to hear about your experience at the Front Desk because it certainly is not representative of how we normally treat our guests. Our emphasis is always on personal service and warmth. Clearly, we fell far short of the mark during your visit.

I will research this to find the root cause and thank you for bringing this to our attention. It is through thoughtful comments such as yours that we can improve.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assitance going forward.

Sincerely yours,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The staff was very attentive. The rooms was large, well-appointed and clean. Turn down service was available and the room was "straightened up". The hotel is well located. The food is excellent and room service was very prompt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Bud290,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Rittenhouse. I look forward to sharing it with housekeeping and our food and beverage teams. We focus quite a bit on engagement and attentiveness to expressed and unexpressed wishes. I am happy to see this quality was evident when you joined us.

We look forwrd to seeing you again in Philadelphia.

Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was a one night stay over the weekend and was booked via the American Express Fine Hotel and Resorts (FHR) program. My complaint is that the hotel only lets you use the special amenity of "US$100 food and beverage credit to be used during your stay" at Lacroix at the Rittenhouse and you are informed this at check-in via a letter. However, the American Express website lists BOTH restaurants at The Rittenhouse Hotel as Smith and Wollensky, and Lacroix as dinning options; thus the title of my review as you are lead to believe that F&B credit is good at either upon booking. I suggest that hotel inform AmEx of this policy to alert potential customers on the FHR website during the booking process, as I wouldn't of stayed here as solo traveler on a leisure trip.

Also, my impression was that the front desk was uninterested, but maybe this was because I was a NY Giant fan in town for the Giant-Eagle Sunday Night game.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Mr. Messina,

Thank you for your observations regarding the FHR web site and our Front Office. We will reach out to our partners at American Express this week to correct this discrepancy. I am truly sorry about any confusion and understand yur disappointment based on the information provided.

On the Front Office point, we accomodate fans from all NFL cities regardless or rivalries... In all seriousness, the fact that we weren't as warm and welcoming as we should have been is concerning and has been adressed. I appreciate you bringing these items to my attention because your comments are be taken in a constructive manner.

Please consider us you home away from home and thank you for chosing to stay with us. If I may ever be of assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reg Archambault

Been to The Rittenhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!