“Good hotel in the heart of Philly!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Society Hill Hotel to your Saves list
Society Hill Hotel
301 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Ranked #72 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Good hotel in the heart of Philly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Budget hotel, perfect location close to attractions like the Liberty bell, and you feel safe walking back to the hotel at night. The room is good and very clean, same goes for the bathroom. Warm water and AC work perfectly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Gunnison, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

At first, I was going to write a really positive review criticizing reviewers who rate budget hotels as if they’re not budget hotels – and then I saw the letter pasted on the (closed) office door assuring guests that the place has new owners and they’re focused on addressing everything previous reviewers said about the hotel – well the tape on this letter was yellowing and I didn’t see any inconsistencies with the reviews I’d read. Plus there was an actual person in the office one time out of the 20 times I passed by during my four-day stay. They did provide cell phone numbers for emergencies, but for general concerns suggested the first names of four totally random people – so we’re to go in the street and call out these names? This annoyed me, and then stuff happened that I found unacceptable even as a very tolerant frequenter of budget hotels. These people are running this place with the very minimum amount of time or money required to keep it open. I’ll tell you the positives, the moderate negatives that I would expect with any budget hotel, and then the negatives that would lead me to really hesitate before I’d stay here again. Positives: super location, the charms of an old building, clean rooms, friendly bartender checked me in my first night and sold me little water bottles for $2 each, pretty bedcovers, reasonably comfortable bed, cable TV with a modicum of channels, iron and ironing board. Negatives I find completely tolerable: little effort to provide attractive décor (outside of bedcover), second bartender sold me water bottles for $1 each, pretty loud rooms – you hear all street noise – I wore earplugs, curtains that don’t block light, moldy shower curtain, unusable coffeemaker & cups at stairway landing (no coffee), the shower knobs revolve forever and can be difficult to manage. Previous reviews described the bar below the hotel as a total dive – I mostly disagree – there were ‘beautiful people’ hanging out the night I arrived – nice lights and ambiance – had a hipster feel – the last night I was there, there were admittedly some rough I-drink-here-every-night types and the bartender did not come in from smoking when I entered the bar to serve me, so I left. Negatives that would persuade me to think very hard before staying here again: 1) I ran out of toilet paper one night – granted I didn’t realize the maid does not come at all if you don’t leave your sign on the door saying you’d like service, but still, they could leave some spare rolls, 2) I was traveling for work and despite clear directions, they billed my credit card instead of my work admin’s credit card – she was unable to reach them to rectify the situation, 3) the wireless internet is useless – I was actually able to use it (slowly) only one of the four nights I was there, 4) their website said you have to check in by 12am and yet when I arrived at 10:50p the bartender told me I was lucky because he was closing in ten minutes – and this after I had notified them of my late arrival, as directed, beforehand - this could be pretty disastrous if you had a delayed flight, 5) my last nights were windy and cold – I got up to shut the window when I noticed my curtain blowing – turns out the street noise was that loud because of ½ inch gaps around much of my window – I could poke my finger between the edge of the window and the wall – plus there is no temperature control in the room – stuffing a towel in the gap didn’t help much. In basic, you need to be a pretty self-sufficient traveler if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Society hill is a great place to stay! It is within walking distance to all points of interest and the waterfront. The service was good and it is what you would expect from a big chain hotel. The one negative thing for me personally is that they have feather pillows! In this day and age with so many people with allergies, me being one of them, you would think they would know better not to have feather pillows, they are terrible and uncomfortable. I am also shocked that you have to specifically request a refrigerator for your room if you so desire; I thought that was just standard! They really should make it standard and be done with it but overall, it was comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Philadelphia for an Eagles game.. we arrived at 1 pm the lady was nice and held our bags and brought them to the room while we were out.The location was perfect very close to most historical attractions.. My wife and I came back at 4ish finally got to the room it was alittle small but no big deal had a/c but flea market style decor again no big deal.. So the horror didn't happen until after the game settled in about quarter after 11.. Then I notice what looked to be a hair ball under the TV.. After further examination it was alittle mouse I freaked out startled my wife and it ran out the bottom of the door.. At that point since theres no staff after a certain time I take matters into my own hands.. Grabbed a blanket from closet and stuffed it underneath the clearance space by the door.. Now my sense of sound is amplified but eventually we go to sleep .. fast forward to 4 am I was having trouble sleeping I was hearing noises in the room .. then I see a shadow run past the outlet light.. From that point on we left the lights on in the room.. From 4:30 am to 7 am my wife and I were hearing noices in the wall, frenzy level at some point.. The final straw at 8:30 am my wife was getting ready in the restroom, and a mouse looked bigger then the one from the night before borough through blanket I freak out again. My wife hears me her exact words "lets get the h*ll outta here" .. By 9 am drop the keys off no staff there. It was our worst experience and the only time I saw a mouse at a hotel

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Awful costumer service, too expensive when you compare with others hotels that offers a better assistence, noisy, a mess. The only advantage is near of touristic places, but anyway I won't turn back and I don't recommend. You pay too much and don't have breakfast, housemaid service and the recepcionist is unpolite. Honestly I regret to have been there.

Waterlooville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Excellent location in the "Old Town" area, but despite being cheap in comparison to other Hotels in the area, it's probably better not to go there. Very steep stairs, tiny living area with one chair, access to the bedroom is though the tiny shower/wc/wash basin area! Tiny bedroom with what looks like a single bed, although it was booked as a double. Generally shabby. We stayed two nights, which was more than enough.

Room Tip: Our room (303) was on the corner, on the third floor, or what we in England would call the second fl...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had 2 nights at this hotel (misnomer) and it was truly awful. No lift, no aircon ( aircon unit shoved into the closet.), window propped open with a bit of wood. Whole window fell out the next day, a miracle that we were not hurt. Staff not around on the Sunday. No room service, We felt sorry for the girl working there, she was very apologetic. Electrics hanging off of the wall in the shower room. Bed smaller than any other hotel we had stayed in ( 8 altogether ). Room overlooked the noisy street, and above a bar. We walked past first of all because it does not look anything like a hotel. Only good thing was its location. It spoiled our stay in Philadelphia.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Society Hill Hotel? Share your experiences!