“4th of July in Philly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latham Hotel

Save Saved
You added Latham Hotel to your Saves list
Latham Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   135 South 17th Street, (Walnut and 17th), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #19 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Rahway, New Jersey
“4th of July in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I usually stay local for the 4th but because of the R&B lineup and the way the WaWa festival was advertised, I wanted to attend. Drove down from Jersey and my nephew and his wife who both are in the Army drove up from Va. Before going to his mom's (my sis) home he agreed to hang out with me in Philly. I told him I already booked a room, which was priced for my budget. It was a random pic without reading reviews, which is rare for me. I chose the king bed for savings and had no problem getting a good nights rest with my nephew and wife next to me(smile). We were pleased that it was a pet friendly hotel at a very nice fee. Cinco, their little dog joined us.

The hotel is located in a great spot and I love the coziness of the room. Our ONLY complaint was the water in the shower. It took a while to heat up so the first person showering didnt get the full affect. Will I return, absolutely, beds very comfortable, free wifi, fridge and coffee. I dont need much in a room to make me happy but when its package with friendly and courteous staff, great location and service then you have a winner for me.

I will not return to view another 4th of July celebration, it was extremely crowded and dangerous with only having one way in and out; side streets were blocked by sanitation trucks. I got was part of a crowd of people running after hearing what was thought to be gun shots, saw on the news next day it was a bb gun

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear KL b,

I am glad to hear you were able to make it to Philadelphia for this year's 4th festivities, and am glad you chose our hotel as your place to stay while visiting. There was some commotion that ensued from this years festivities, though thankfully no one was injured and everyone was able to return home safely from the holiday events. Generally it is a great night for the city of Philadelphia, I just sorry to hear an individual chose to make the night stressful for many.

Thank you for your feedback on your experience, and I hope you had a great trip back to New Jersey. We hope to see you again whether you return for next year's 4th of July celebration, or any other visit that will bring you to the city of brotherly love.

Yours in Hospitality,

Michael Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for several days. It's a nice building, and centrally located which is great. However, I did have some issues with the room cleanliness, lack of refilling amenities in the room, and the state of the linens...

The toilet, without going into details, was not what I would call spotless. I do not think it had been cleaned since the last person checked out. Above the safe in the closet there was a dirty towel just sitting there. I pulled out a tissue from the metal tissue box and it was empty inside. No kleenex box or anything; just air. The free bottled water was never replenished after housekeeping came to our rooms. Once, when our bed linens were changed, there was a large tear on one side, another time there was a dark stain. My husband saw one of the housekeepers in the hallway with their trolley and asked if they could please change our sheets because the ones we received were stained. The person got very annoyed, although when we saw them again later they apologized for their behavior.

Bottom line: It is a cute little hotel, but they really need improvement in their housekeeping department.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sokess,

I apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your visit to our hotel. I would like to get in touch with you personally to apologize for your experience and all to ensure your complete satisfaction regarding our hotel. As our reviews and service scores show our housekeeping team takes pride in delivering spotless guestroom as well as public area accommodations to all of our guests. Thank you again for your time and feedback. I look forward to having the opportunity to speak with you soon, and ensuring you are a satisfied guest of The Latham for this most recent visit, as well as future visits to Philadelphia.

215-563-7474
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a long weekend and couldn't be happier with our choice! We took advantage of a stay 3- 1 night free deal, free continental breakfast, free car service , free umbrellas, free wifi, free bottled water, free keurig coffee in room! Service was superb and the gym was just right. Had just as many perks and luxuries as some of the four & give star hotels we've stayed at. A very pleasant surprise!

• Stayed June 2013
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Cris S,

Thank you for staying with us during your long weekend in Philadelphia. As a 3 1/2 star property we offer many of the amenities of 4 star or better properties, with great value for our travelers. I am glad to see our team provided great service, and you enjoyed our 24 hour fitness center. It is impressive!

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Stuart, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We love boutique hotels and the Latham did not disappoint. The front desk staff very accomodating-especially Stacia. The rooms are not large but have everything you could want. It's refreshing to have a hotel include wifi-and not be charged for it. There was a problem in our room with reception and they didn't hesitate to move us.The restaurant and bar are very nice. There's a car available on a first come first serve basis-but we didn't need it because everything you could want to do in the city is walkable from here.

Room Tip: Our wifi issue was on the corner of the 9th floor-but I believe it has been addressed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear trigirlflorida,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We take pride in offering our guests an upscale boutique experience, with many value added amenities. I am glad to see you were able to take advantage of our complimentary high speed wireless internet, Urban Enoteca; our full service restaurant and bar, and were aware of our personal concierge Audi A8 car service. Both our Roman and Parker are favorites of our guests, they would be happy to give you a ride as well as useful information on the city, next time you are in town.

Thank you also for recognizing Stacia, and the amazing service she provides to our guests each day. Have a great summer, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here for four nights while exploring the historical sites of Philadelphia. The location was great, near restaurants and shopping. It is a long, but not difficult walk to Independence Hall and the Philadelphia Art Museum. It is very close to the beautiful City Hall. My room was spacious and well decorated. I loved the two comfy chairs by the window and the bench at the end of the bed. Bathroom was very nice and a decent size. The one downside to the hotel was the breakfast. The food was excellent, however, there was only one wait staff to handle several tables. My coffee took forever to get and there was never an offer of a refill. So, if you are in a hurry, I wouldn't recommend eating breakfast here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Nuts4TravelSeattle,

Thank you for choosing The Latham on your trip to Philadelphia. We are fortunate to have a great location in the heart of many of the best shopping and dining attractions in the city. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the layout and functionality of your guestroom. Each room was designed with our wide base of domestic and international travelers in mind. I am sorry our breakfast service was not satisfactory during your visit. We have recently added additional staff to our breakfast service to help provide the best service to each of our morning patrons.

Thank you for your time and feedback. I would like to invite you back to stay with us again on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Camden, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great location. You can walk to most attractions and a lovely part of town. The staff were attentive and pleasant. The rooms were clean. The room was quiet. The concierge/doorman was very helpful. The vibe was very low key and relaxing. Beds were very comfortable. The cons: no glasses in the room (not even paper cups)...we had to request them each day. Also, in order to get ice, you had to order it be sent up to you. The water pressure in the shower was low and there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom. Also, like many hotels, there were not enough bath towels (I like 2 per person). I would stay there again and would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Debbymaniac,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your trip to Philadelphia. I am happy to say we have ordered custom drinking cups for all guestrooms and will implementing as soon as they are received on property. Due to the historic nature of our hotel, our hallway corridors are not engineered with ice machines enclosures, as a result we have chosen to personally deliver ice to our guests in a timely manner upon request. No need to leave your guestroom, and it also eliminates unwanted noise disturbances that ice machines can cause for our guests. I am very sorry to hear the water pressure was not satisfactory in your guestroom, and will have our chief engineer inspect to ensure all components are operating efficiently. We are always happy to provide extra in room amenities to any of our guests. Feel free to request extra towels or any other amenity that we provide either during the reservation process, at check in, or once you have entered your guestroom.

Thank you for your time and feedback. I hope to see you again on your next trip to Philadelphia!

Greenwood village
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a boutique hotel that has it all. Location, 5 star rooms, wonderful service all offered at a great price. There is even a driver and Audi 8 available for getting around the city. I highly recommend trying The Latham.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your fantastic review. It is great to hear when we accomplish our goal of providing a 5 star, flawless experience for one of our valued guests. It would be our pleasure to be your preferred hotel whenever you visit Philadelphia.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Michael Roberts

Been to Latham Hotel? Share your experiences!