“Lovely and comfortable room, poor housekeeping” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Latham Hotel

You added Latham Hotel to your Saves list
Latham Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   135 South 17th Street, (Walnut and 17th), Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)   |
Ranked #20 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Los Angeles, California
“Lovely and comfortable room, poor housekeeping”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed in a Deluxe King at the Latham Hotel for 5 nights. The room was very nice, fairly spacious, tastefully appointed, with a comfortable bed, a small but decent bathroom. The hotel’s location is perfect, in center city just a block or so from Rittenhouse Square. The only downside was the housekeeping. The housekeeping staff must be rushing through their job mindlessly. Twice the bed was not really made, just the comforter pulled up. One day, they did not leave us a bath mat. Twice, they took away the lotion but did not replace it. On our final day, we discovered someone else’s dirty sock on the floor. Things like that. We did offer our observations to the front desk staff on day 4, but even following that it was no better. If this hotel offered more careful and thorough housekeeping, it would be near perfect. However, after this experience, we will not stay again, and instead will opt for the colder but more professionally managed Sofitel that is practically across the street (our usual hotel in Philly).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Mr. Crowther,

Thank you for choosing The Latham Hotel Philadelphia on your recent trip to the area. I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at our property. I am pleased to hear the asthetics and comfort of the property exceeded your expectations. Though, I wanted to offer my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of the housekeeping issues mentioned during your stay. Our Housekeeping department and overall cleanliness of our property is consistently one of the strongest areas of performance for our property, and our team will take every measure to ensure this experience is not repeated for current and future guests of our hotel. In the event you will be returning to Philadelphia in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly. It would be my pleasure to ensure you have the best experience possible on your next trip to Philadelphia.

Thank you again for your time and feedback, and we hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future!

Michael Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
New York, NY, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was in Philly for one night on business and found this gem through TripAdvisor. The Latham is a boutique in the heart of the city that is more along the lines of a classic hotel as opposed to hip. Hotels in the city can be outrageously expensive but the Latham had great rate that made it very affordable. There are lots of restaurants within walking distance and I had a great dinner at Davio’s Northern Italian Steakhouse two blocks away.

The guest room was small but clean and comfortable (much like the hotel itself). There wasn’t much space for more than one person—I don’t think you could fit a rollaway in the room—but for me for one night it was fine. There is free water, free wifi, and the cabinet had a small fridge and Keurig coffee maker. The bathroom was small but well lit and had high end toiletries. The only negative was that I was woken early in the morning by the sound of creaking and whining water pipes water from nearby rooms—showers, toilets, sinks, all going off. I guess in old buildings you can modernize as much you want but you can’t do much about the plumbing.

There is a small restaurant off the lobby serving meals. I went down for breakfast and found only one waitress trying to keep up with all the tables. She apologized for the wait and the food was fine, but if you’re in a hurry you might want to try elsewhere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Jack783,

Thank you for selecting the Latham Hotel for your one night business trip to Center City Philadelphia. We pride ourselves on offering a luxury boutique experience, in the heart of Center City, for each of our valued guests. I am pleased to see you enjoyed our recently renovated guestrooms, complimentary in room refrigerators, as well as our in room Keurig coffee makers. I did also see you experienced less than satisfactory service as a result of heavy volume in our restaurant on the morning of your departure, and wanted to ensure I offered my apologies for any inconvenience that may have resulted. I have personally followed up with our Food and Beverage team to ensure proper staffing levels are in place for high volume times, that will help ensure current and future patrons have the best possible dining experience.

I wanted to thank you for your time and feedback, and look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Philadelphia!

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Latham Hotel has a great location, --restaurants and shopping are right outside the door -- cozy feel and top notch amenities. As other reviews have noted, it was recently remodeled with resulting modern, plush, typical big city size (not sprawling) rooms and bathrooms. Rooms include free internet, nepreso coffee machines, tea and mini refrigerators.

Rates seem much more reasonable than nearby hotels.

The staff is welcoming and professional.

Stayed 1 night in February 2013 with one teenager. Will stay again when in Philadelphia.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear CalClan,

Thank you for choosing The Latham Hotel on your recent trip to downtown Philadelphia. Our entire team takes pride in exceeding expectations for each of our valued guests. I am pleased to see we accomplished our goal during your time at our property. It would be our pleasure to be your preferred hotel when visiting downtown Philadelphia. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon!

West Grove, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Latham is a classy place, but from the moment one enters you get the impression that the hotel is squeezed into a small space. That is okay, but don't expect to find an expansive lobby or rooms with space to exercise or walk around. The place was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Love the curbside valet parking and concierge service. The bath was marble lined but the toilet was too close to the wall to sit comfortably. The shower water pressure was not as good as it should have been. The price was reasonable for a center city location, but not cheap. Philadelphia government officials and unions really need to work on keeping costs down, or they will lose the remaining customers they still have.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Awarely,

Thank you for choosing The Latham Hotel Philadelphia on your recent trip to the area. I wanted to personally express my gratitude for taking time to provide details on your experience for current and future guests of our hotel. I am very pleased to see there were many positive aspects of your stay, including curbside valet, our concierge service, and the exceptional hotel team we have in place for our guests. I would encourage you to take advantage of our complimentary car service we provide for our guests daily, using our properties Audi A8 sedan, next time we have the opportunity to serve you.

Thank you again for your time and feedback. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

very understated but extremely pleasant and well located (block from Rittenhouse Sq). Notable for extremely good lighting in the room (not the typical struggle to read by light from a 40W bulb in a ceiling fixture).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear M P F,

It was a pleasure to serve you on your recent trip to the Philadelphia area. Thank you for selecting The Latham Hotel Philadelphia, as well as providing feedback on your experience. We take great pride in offering a great location, with the charm and service of a boutique experience for each of our valued guests. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our in room lighting, we understand the value of proper energy efficient lighting to ensure a productive stay for each of our valued guests.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on your next trip to the Philadelphia area. Thank you, and have a great spring!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed overnight to get together with friends in the area. Staff was very friendly and accomodating, I was even able to check in a little early. The bar adjacent to the lobby was great, it was nice to be able to bring a glass of wine back to my room while getting ready for the evening. Rooms are a good size, particularly considering the age of the hotel, and very tastefully decorated. This is definitely the best priced hotel in the area, yet they have not sacrificed quality. The only tip I have is to check out early; there is a crush of people simultaneously checking out, most of whom are waiting for their cars, so the lobby gets really crowded. This is not a negative comment on the hotel, just a circumstance of valet parking in a busy part of Philly. I would highly recommend having a drink at the wine bar and people watching, the location is ideal! Great place, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: This is an older building, so the elevator service is slow, with very small elevators. If you are i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Michael R, General Manager at Latham Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear DoctorP2011,

Thank you for choosing the Latham Hotel Philadelphia on your recent trip to the area. After reading your comments, it is clear that there were many positive aspects of your stay. I am very pleased to see you were able to enjoy an evening beverage at our Urban Enoteca Restaurant and Bar. Just so you know we will be adding outdoor seating for the late spring and summer months, which will help our guests take full advantage of our great corner location in the Rittenhouse area of Center City. I was also pleased to see your recognition of our guestroom size, decor', and also our hotel team. Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of a wait for the valet service. I have reached out to our valet provider and have had additional staff added for our busy spring months, which has helped eliminate wait time for our guests.

Thank you again for your time and feedback. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Philadelphia!

Stowe, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My Finance and I stayed at the Latham for 3 nights. Overall we had a nice experience - location was excellent, and the rooms & amenities were as expected. The staff seemed novice (but very nice!) and housekeeping did leave us short of a couple of items, which were quickly delivered when I called the desk.
The food is so-so, I do recommend going out as there is better cuisine in the immediate area. There was a young man (Roderick I believe) who gave us excellent service each time we were there and was a key player in the F&B Department.

Room Tip: We requested a higher floor - it was great, not only for the view, but also lessened the city traffi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JCout313,

It was our pleasure to serve you and your fiance' while visiting Philadelphia. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your time here at the Latham. I am pleased to see our location in the heart of the Rittenhouse area, was to your liking. I will also be sure to share your feedback regarding Rodderick's exceptional guest service with our entire hotel team. Please also allow me to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as a result of missing replenishment items in your guestroom, though I am pleased to see this issue was resolved for you quickly and effectively.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to downtown Philadelphia!

Michael Roberts

Been to Latham Hotel? Share your experiences!