“Just don't go for the internet access.....you'll be driven crazy” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #32 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
UK for now
“Just don't go for the internet access.....you'll be driven crazy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

Great little hotel - staff are fantastic, especially those in the breakfast room.

Fantastic city location on Walnut Street which is a vibrant area with tons of restaurants, bars, shops - too much choice! (I think the person who said it was dangerous must come from a very small town). Also check out Chestnut Street close-by, equally good - both are better on the other side of Broad, just 2 minutes away, which is also the main thoroughfare with many theatres round the corner. 2 large deli's opposite til midnight, wine shop around the corner for any BYOB restaurants. Rittenhouse Sq area only 10 mins walk away. Historic district 10 mins walk - all safe, on main streets.

Location - you couldn't ask for better - and I know Philly quite well, having spent about 8 months there.

Breakfast buffet is a bit iffy for Europeans - very American, not at all international - eggs with cheez-whiz squirted all over them (mmmm very - not - healthy), and that bizarre concoction called sausauge gravy, or else extremely fatty streaky bacon. Occasionally suspect 'sausage patties', which taste of washing-up liquid and are of indeterminable meat content, but are standard in many American hotels. Definitely do not expect a "continental style' breakfast. Fresh fruit coinsists of whole apples and bananas - not a real pastry in sight, but lots of unhealthy muffins, bagels and cake things - and cream cheese and jam to slap on it. Fridge had yoghurts, but low grade. And don't even try the cardboard bread - again, standard in American hotels - not a wholegrain or bit of roughage in sight. It is definitely tailored to the American expectations market (sorry, American readers) - I heard many people congratulating the staff on the high quality of breakfast, when I couldn't find anything I was willing to pollute my body with.

As said, staff generally fantastic - a couple fo the Reception staff a little miserable, but most are very friendly, as were all maintenance staff I chatted to in the elevators. Room was a little tired, but nothing that deserved complaining about.

However.......if you expect to use the internet regularly- forget it. It's totally dreadful. I was trying to reconfirm a flight. The site screen said "10 seconds to refresh", which is what it takes at home on that airline's website. At this hotel, I was still waiting after 10-12 minutes and just gave up. Likewise accessing Yahoo mail - a good 10 minutes to get in on a good day (most of the time you just don't get in at all). Connecting to my work network to do work was just impossible with these response times.

Great holiday for a casual weekend vacation - but any business visitor needs to seriously by-pass this hotel. And I mean SERIOUSLY by-pass it. The Residence Inn round the corner has a fantastic internet service (also free) - and you'll be much better off there.

Shame really - they really let themselves down on something that would probably be fairly cheap to fix - and yet I'll be telling everyone at my company to never stay there, as I'm sure others will - so it's a false economy for them. And the staff are just SO nice....so they're doing something right.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, May 8, 2010
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel; we are pleased you had a nice stay and would definitely like to provide feedback on the concerns you had with the internet service. As of this week we are pleased to announce we have upgraded our free wireless internet services for you to enjoy. The Holiday Inn Express Midtown has become one of the first hotels in the Philadelphia area, to incorporate bonded data circuits, which offer double the speed of regular wireless internet access. Guests will be assured the bandwidth during the busiest travel times when other hotels are bogged down due to over-subscription.

Because of comments liked yours we have taken the steps to upgrade our service and we appreciate your help in bringing these items to our attention. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

On arrival was greeted by Gladys on reception, she was eating a biscuit as she approached me. I found the check in experience slow and the person checking me in was quite abrupt. I work in the travel industry and expect a nice warm welcome everytime i go to a hotel, but i did not get this from the hotel. Once checked in my stay did improve, i found the rest of the staff in the hotel helpful and charming. The location is great, its right in the theatre district and close to many attractions. The rooms were clean and comfortable with a modern plaza tv. This hotel offers free basic buffett breakfast every morning which is a bonus. The also offer free wi fi internet in the room.
I think overall it was a good 2 night stay, but the check in service needs to be improved. Also beware debit card holders, the hotel will take an extra $50 to cover damages, they will return it after your stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Rhinebeck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

always ruins a trip for me. The hotel itself was in a wonderful location. We were right near all of the attractions we wanted to see the next day and great restaurants. I originally booked one room and on the day of check-in added another for friends. When we arrived at the hotel the parking attendant was less then enthused to leave his hot McDonald's to park our car. When we got to the lobby we waited 5 minutes before someone appeared behind the counter to check us in; which took about another 25 minutes. They we charging us crazy fees, the wrong rental rate and then gave me attitude when I asked to see a manager who might be able to clear things up. Other than the unfriendly inexperienced staff the hotel was very nice. Super big and clean room with a very comfortable bed, free wifi, and good location. I would go back but with serious trepidation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Stayed here on my short trip in Philadephia. After staying in New York I have to say for the price we paid, we got alot more for paying less. The room was bigger, had LCD TV, free wireless internet (but we had no Laptop to use it). All in all the room was great but only bad thing I could think of was that there was no fridge (I had some medication that needed to be refrigerated) also no safe in room but you could use the ones in reception. We also got hot breakfast which was great. Although we could not use the wireless internet there where 2 computers on the ground floor that people could use to get onto the internet. A good hotel (tip take a bus or subway from the train station to get here unlike us, it quite a walk with a suit case)

• Stayed April 2009
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Room was good size. staff was great. excellent location, centralized to Philadelphia's best sights. 5 night stay was great

Stayed January 2010
ann arbor michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I chose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express while on a college visit with my son. The main factor was the price. Our family had stayed a couple of years ago at the Hampton Inn a few blocks away and enjoyed it. But, this hotel was significantly less expensive and I figured that it would be OK for the two of us. It was ok but not as nice as the Hampton Inn and I would not have been happy staying here for an extended period of time or with the entire family. Still, the staff was nice and accomadating. The room was adequate but the carpet, fixtures etc. in some need of repair and the bathroom very small. Breakfast was adequate. All in all, for a quick stay or a place just to sleep while touring, I would recommend it but I was not entirely pleased.

Stayed February 2010
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

First impression was a RUDE receptionist. Some Spanish girl at the desk...name began with an "L". Doesn't really matter, but if you're in a customer service industry you'd think you'd be friendlier and smile a little bit. Other staff, especially food service and housekeeping staff,were just the opposite....very nice and welcoming....seems the girl at the front desk could use some lessons. Next was the room on the 17th floor. As soon as I walked in, the strong smell of Lysol hit me in the face. For about an hour, I could hardly breathe. It only made me think something awful had happened in the room before I got there, like someone vomited or crapped on the floor in there. Gross!Breakfast was complimentary and surprisingly good. Other than that, it IS a Holiday Inn so I guess I got what I paid for. Not going back again.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown? Share your experiences!