“Weekend getaway with friends!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1305-11 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Alexandria, Virginia
“Weekend getaway with friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The hotel is undergoing renovations on the guest room level. I was on the 20th floor in a comfortable room, the staff is quite friendly and helpful and the location is quite convenient! The second time I have stayed at the hotel and really did enjoy the weekend. Great that they also have a health club for their guests to go to around the corner from the hotel.

Room Tip: Better view on the Walnut Street side of hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
It's great to hear that you enjoyed your weekend getaway with your friends and that the Holiday inn Express Midtown was a part of the fun!! Thank you for letting us know and we hope to see you back again soon. Thanks!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

The centrally located HI Express Midtown has a great central location. Unfortunately I had one of their old rooms, try to get a renovated one! The outdoor pool is cool for a swim in the morning, but hotel management please allow early swimming! 9am starting time at the pool is definitely too late for business travelers. The free newspaper brought to the door of your room is a good service, as is the complimentary breakfast which offers a good start in the day. The only reason why I have to give 4 stars instead of 5 is that the night /early morning front desk team seems to be not that well trained as the day time staff is. I asked the front desk service lady in the morning to add my company name to my bill, on which she answered that that would not be possible. One hour later the daytime shift manager was able to accommodate that wish in 1 (!) minute.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Thank you for your suggestions and management will be happy to hear your ideas! We are sorry to hear that the service was different at different times of the day, and that is something we will definitely work on. It's good to hear that you enjoyed so much else about your stay, and we are working on getting more of the rooms done, floor by floor. Thank you!
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The hotel is under renovation, but it's location, in the middle of Center City, is great. The downtown stores are near the hotel and even the Reading Market is within three blocks. The rooms are so spacious. My son's room, who has three kids, had a fridge and a microwave. There are many convenience stores around the hotel, where you can purchase what you need. The personnel in charge of the breakfast were very attentive and courteous. When fully renovated it will be a true gem in Philly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful words. It's great to be so central and have such access to most anything our guests need. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a perfect location for exploring Philadelphia. Plenty of bars and restaurants close by as well as the theatre district.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and chatty, real assets to the hotel. Breakfast was busy but replenished quickly, I even noticed the lady working in the breakfast room giving guests tips about the city, even getting one a map. This was excellent!

The issue I had with the stay was the parking garage. I echo the previous reviews. It's not obvious what to do with your car and keys, I drove up to the top then was sent back down again, ended up leaving the car in the middle of a row and going to find an attendant. They're not friendly at all! You leave your keys and they park (and move) your car during your stay. The hotel doesn't own the garage but I would suggest they work with the garage management to improve the experience for guests, I would choose a different hotel in Philadelphia in future to avoid the garage unless reviews improve.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
HIEXmidtown, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
It's wonderful to hear such great things about the staff at the hotel, and they really do enjoy being helpful to our guests. Thank you for both your comments and suggestions about the parking garage, and we do hope to have the chance to host you again when you are in our area. Thank you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We were looking for a hotel to spend the night with my family during our weekend visit to Philadelphia. Found it on the Internet and was finally able to book through the phone. Fee was $244 + parking ($25) including breakfast. Hotel cleanliness was one of the worst I have seen in a long time, and I travel 50% of my time for business. Room carpet was stained and dirty. Soundproofing was literally non-existing. At 5 am we were woken up by a child running in the upper floor, and at 6 am we heard our neighbours talking as if they were inside our room. External noise was also audible. TV channel list is too short, even for an overnight stay.
We tried to connect to the internet but only succeeded for short periods of time, and at a very slow speed.
Hotel is conveniently located near attractions and touristic spots, breakfast was great including pancakes and bacon among many other options. Staff was friendly and helpful.
For this price we should have stayed elsewhere and with better comfort.

Room Tip: The best tip is to try other similar hotels in the area before this one.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
We are sorry to hear that the hotel did not live up to all your expectations, and we will review your comments with our department managers. We are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms to better service our guest needs. Thank you for letting us know about your stay.
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

It is my first time to stay in this hotel , but and of course will back again and again . I stayed for 12 nights in the 20's . The view is great from up there , room is very clean brand new and housekeeping hosts are very helpful and so clean . Front desk staff and breakfast staff are always at your service and around all guests if any one needs help . I strongly recommend to stay in this hotel when you visit Philadelphia . You will find fair prices , warm welcoming , clean rooms and wonderful service . For me , I will come back again and always to stay in this hotel when I visit Philly within the near future . Actually , I tried another hotel ( without names) in June , it was not that much good , but, anyhow I said thank you to them . Again , this hotel in this location is amazing in every thing . My special thanks to a great and a wonderful Front desk manager ( Aubrey Allen ) ,a Front desk staff ( Teri Smith) and a Breakfast staff ( Cathrin ) . All of them are professionals ,helpful and always will give positive actions and attitude . Thanks as well for all other staff who I met , but ,sorry I do not have all of their names . Well done and great job that you did . See you again soon .

Room Tip: Kindly read my previous feedback and comments .
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Wonderful hospitality, fair prices , warm welcome, clean rooms and wonderful service. We could not ask for higher praise from a guest, other than to hear that they will be coming back to stay with use when they are in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Midtown. Thank you!
Martinsburg, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

WOW!! What a great team of hospitality professionals. It takes a lot to impress me but they really exceeded my expectations. My partner was going to be at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital for several days. They offer a special hospital rate and will do whatever they can to accommodate your schedule. During this stressful situation Ms.Aubrey Allen, the Front Desk Manager went out of her way to accommodate my needs. She was able to finagle a few extra days at the hospital rate and offered a late check out. The breakfast hostess who I have seen of other trips remembered me. The rooms have been recently renovated and they look absolutely fantastic! The hotel is located in a GREAT location with a plethora of great restaurants to select from. Jo Ann the GM has been at the helm for many years and she really has a wonderful team!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Wow!! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. We do have a great group of people working with us at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown, and they will be thrilled to hear that they had such a great impact on your stay. We will let everyone know how much their help meant to you during your stay.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown? Share your experiences!