“Excellent value with extremely helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1305-11 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #35 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bath, Pennsylvania
“Excellent value with extremely helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The hotel is ideal for the theater-goers, with parking attached to the hotel (fees apply.) The guest room was exceptionally clean and large. From the front desk searching for a restaurant for us, to the housekeepers who asked if we had what we needed, and the manager who immediately addressed a non-hotel guest who was loitering in the lobby, it was clear that the staff truly takes pride in service. The continental breakfast was hot and good. When I apologized for spilling a coffee on the counter, Betty said to me with great sincerity, as long as you were not hurt, nothing else matters! Nice, nice people at Holiday Inn Express. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear azzul98,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Thank you for mentioning our great staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We are so glad that we could accommodate you and your family. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We made reservations originally for three nights, then our plans changed and we tried to cancel the second two nights. We met with firm resistance from the booking agency (an on line company I won't name) who told us we could NOT cancel reservations, and we'd pay whether we stayed or not, claiming this was "hotel policy." Apparently it wasn't because at my insistence they called the hotel and got "approval" to cancel the second two nights. That should have been a warning.

The location was convenient: we needed to be near Rittenhouse Square and this hotel is. However, that's about all it had going for it. There is NO parking for guests. The parking garage NEXT DOOR is, we were told, "not part of the hotel," but we were offered the opportunity to pay $25 (via the hotel) and that would get us in-and-out until 3:30 PM the next day. However, since we had arrived about 6:00 PM, and since the garage only charged $22 for 24 hours, we opted to just leave the car there and pay the garage directly, which saved us $3. Now, the hotel staff was aware of this option but didn't tell us about it: I found out from the garage attendant.

The room was adequate, no different from any other hotel in this price range, but the walls were very thin, and there were noisy people in the two adjacent rooms and in the hallway someone seemed to be holding a jamboree, right outside our door. No way to shut them up, so I opted for ear plugs or I would not have got any sleep at all.

At $180 all up, with the reservation made through the online agency supposedly giving us a discount from the rack rate (which was NOT posted on the door) of $275, this place was pretty much a rip-off. That was on a Friday night: had we stayed the extra two days it would have been even more per night.

Convenient location is important and I don't mind paying for it, but the HIE Midtown is incompetently managed and overpriced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Sciuricidus,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so pleased you liked the fine convenient location of our property. I would like to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the parking lot. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. I am sorry you were not satisfied with our rates. Prices do vary depending on the dates and are competitive within the area. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is. Thank you for staying with us.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel for work. All of the staff was very accomodating and pleasant. I was able to check in early, which is always a bonus. I hate getting the "your room is not ready, check in is at 3" speech at a hotel. There is an attached parking garage, which is great in downtown Philly. It is a bit distressing, as the lanes are small and the garage is very crowded. The price was excellent for downtown Philadelphia, and the location is amazing! Very close to tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, and theaters. I would highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear mwallerius,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that we could accommodate you during your business trip. We value all guest feedback. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a few times while visiting Philadelphia. Its got a great location! The cost is affordable. Staff is always friendly and rooms are always clean. Continental breakfast was plentiful and good. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear CarroeDLRDH,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We value all guest feedback. We hope you enjoyed your time in Philly. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you again for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Excellent hotel with good sized rooms, friendly staff, free breakfast and wifi.
Great location in heart of Philadelphia
Stayed new years eve and had a great time, was sad to have to leave
Would certainly use again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear dropswell,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback regarding your stay. We hope you enjoyed ringing in the New Year in Philly. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Smyrna, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Picked this location due to proximity to work project. Good location in Midtown Philadelphia. Rooms, very average, nothing special. Walls very thin, could hear the person next door talking on the phone as if he was in the same room.

On-site parking garage says "self parking", but you have to leave your keys with an attendant. Attendant had the impression that he was doing us a FAVOR for him allowing us to park in the garage. Hotel should find a different parking vendor for their parking garage.

Check in process was slow, but Front desk agent was polite.

I had a co-worker joining me for a project the next day and I was to pay for their room. They had reserved a room at the same location. They did not arrive until about 1am. They called me when they arrived and I called down to the front desk (from my room phone) and asked them to please put my co-workers room charges onto my credit card. They insisted I must come down to the lobby, sign the registration form in person, show my credit card and ID before giving my co-worker their room. I asked why this was necessary and only got a very rude response from La Shai that it was company policy and if I didn't do it they wouldn't get their room. I could not believe it. So, I got dressed, went downstairs, gave my CC and ID (again) to get my co-worker checked in. I once again asked why I needed to come down to the lobby and all Daniel and La Shai would say was it was strict policy. I understand a policy, but some policies (is this a high school?) I find a bit absurd. They already had all my credit card and personal information. Being a customer that stays 200+nights in hotels every year, I have never encountered such poor customer service.

I generally like staying at HI properties, but they should realize if they make a guest feel that they are a child that other hotels would gladly take their business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HIEXmidtown, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
The Holiday Inn Express Midtown-Philadelphia greatly values both the privacy and security of our guests. Holiday Inn Express Midtown-Philadelphia also greatly values our frequent guests and Priority Club members. In this instance, a policy was upheld in order to guarantee the credit security of all of our guests. All guests using credit/debit cards are asked to present identification to validate their use of the card in question and required to have the card swiped as a record of its legitimiate use. While we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced, we stand by this policy as it protects our guests; we hope that you can see that we truly have our guests' best interests at heart.
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had a strange week of staying 4 nights in Philadelphia, and staying in 4 different hotels. It was over New Years, this was the first one.
And, it was fine. The location is excellent, surrounded by great options to eat, there is a restaurant called Sampan, go out the front door onto Walnut turn left, and take the first left, it's right there and EXCELLENT. They have incredible food for Happy Hour, Kobe sliders $2, delicious dumplings and fried rice, it's upmarket and really really worth a visit!
Back to the hotel. Typical of a Holiday Inn really, I thought the carpet was kind of grimy, it had stains, yuk. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom is really small, the sink is outside of the bathroom itself, my husband likes this, I don't.
It wouldn't be the top of my list of where to stay in Philadelphia but again it is in a great location.
The check in staff were extremely slow, and mixed up our booking, we had 3 rooms, so it took quite alot to sort it all out.
The breakfast, don't waste your time. VERY basic.

Room Tip: higher floors, better view