“Some glitches - read this review and avoid them!” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4010 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #55 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Some glitches - read this review and avoid them!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

First things first - if you type 4010 City Avenue into your iPhone GPS you'll never find this place. If you come off of I-76 you want to turn left onto Presidential Blvd and then enter the CP parking lot to your right. There is actually a marker on the corner there that indicates a Presidential Blvd address, go figure. If you are coming down City Avenue "towards" I-76 you want to turn on the road between TD Bank and TGI Fridays. Hope that helps, because I was definitely lost even with the GPS!

Like a lot of Crowne Plaza's this place has a million dollar lobby. Nice bar, fixtures, nice place to lounge, etc. Check in was fast and friendly.

As a priority club member they did put me on the top floor and a king bed room. Exiting the elevator i had to smile a bit at the 70's green paint on the walls (different colors on either side of the hall) and the green carpet. If this is making a comeback put me in a coma and wake me up when it's over. But hey, the hallways aren't what we care about in a hotel anyway, right?

The room was smallish but comfortable. There was a small loveseat in the room as well. The big bonus was a nice flat screen TV, i didn't measure it but it had to be 36 inches, it was very nice feature. The shower and bath fixtures were a little older but worked fine and was no big deal.

At about $175/night I'd say this place is a bit overpriced but it was clean and it was comfortable. Parking was free. I'd recommend it as a decent place but definitely shop around for the best price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear cwbunger32,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know that you found our hotel clean and comfortable. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the location of our property and amenities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Central Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed two nights while visiting St. Joseph's University. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Good location. Clean and welcoming. Restaurant/bar in the hotel was fine and convenient. Beds were so comfortable!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Royerford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My son and his bride, booked a block of room for their guest to enjoy the wedding and the city of Philadelphia. The wedding was great. Sunday morning has my son was preparing to leave he came out to find his car had been robbed. Not only his car but the car of one of his bridal party wife's car as well. Personal items ,cash checkbook and garage door opener were stolen. Both cars were parked in the front of the hotel (first parking spot) within steps of the hotel entrance. The police were called and the hotel supervisor came out and wrote a report.It was said that this occurs frequently in this parking lot. You would think an up scale like the Crowne Plaza would have cameras or security if they know this is an on going situation. You would think they would value the safety of their guest and their belongings. The police officer also had no compassion. He made a comment that the checkbook is only worth ten dollars, never considering what the thieves could do with the checks. My opinion I would not stay at this hotel, why should you be worrying you entire stay if your car is safe or not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we truly understand your feelings and apologize for any issues that occurred in our parking lot. With the help of the Philadelphia Police Department we continue to investigate the occurrence to prevent this from ever happening again.

The Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West prides itself on providing a secure and safe environment for our guests and takes an aggressive stance against crime. The hotel has always and will continue to vigorously employ proactive security measures throughout the hotel for the benefit of all guests.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I wanted to have a night in Philly and this wad one of the only hotels not booked up for the 4th of July. Other than the expensive taxi rides the hotels great and they have free shuttles that go untill 8pm, but they dont run long enough to go out late. Had fun and served its purpose, also nice pool and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the holiday weekend. I've stayed here before and was concerned about parking since the hotel shares a lot with TGI Friday's. But I had no problem with parking in front of the building during my stay. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I ordered room service my first night and the food arrived in a timely manner. My only complaint is that I think that all the floors should have ice dispensers. The 3rd and 6th floors don't have one and my room was on the 6th. Inconvenient, but not a deal breaker.

Something I liked about the hotel was the restaurant campus nearby. Chipotle's, Pei Wei's and a couple of other restaurants are within walking distance. For me, that gives them the edge over the other Philadelphia hotel I've used.

Overall, a wonderful stay. I would definitely recommend the hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: 3rd and 6th floors don't have ice dispensers.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Washington, Dc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Booked this hotel through Hotwire, mainly due to free parking and rather close to Philly (about 15 minutes to downtown by car). It's right off I76 so it's very convenient if you are driving.

The bad: Parking lot is dimly lit, and cars tend to park in the front of hotel. The rear parking lot was mostly empty during out stay, and I parked in the rear lot directly under a light for security reasons. We stayed for two nights, and housekeeping did not clean our room after 1st night. I am ok with that if I was told(like timeshares do), but I wasn't. The lobby & hallway decor is dated and in serious needs of updates. You will need a car for this location to work for you.

The good: Check-in and check-out was fast & easy. Free parking & easy access to I76. 10 minutes to Manayunk, 15 minutes to downtown Philly, and right next to Fairmont Parks. Plenty of food choices: chain restaurants near by: Friday's, California Pizza Kitchen, Potbelly's. Manayunk has plenty of local options and bars available. The room and bed is comfortable, with a powerful A/C. Water pressure in the shower is great, and water is decently hot in the morning peak hours.

Will I stay here again? Hard to say. While parking is free, finding street parking in Philly can be difficult. If you park in private lots, it almost make it not worthwhile to stay at this location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Selion,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

Whilst I am pleased with your good comments, I am disappointed to hear your troubles during your visit. I apologize for the inconvenience you had with our housekeeping services and deeply regret the issues you had in our parking area.

I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and will be used to reconsider improvements. We all hope that despite your dissatisfaction, you will give our hotel another try and allow us to make your stay the best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on business. Arrived around midnight, parked within full view of front door of hotel, left our surveying equipment in our car. We came out in the morning to a completely shattered rear window (used a crow bar apparently), with over $46,000 of equipment stolen. I called 911, local police number, still took almost 2 hours for a car to show up. The ONLY person who helped us at Crowne Plaza was Anthony, the security guy. He was genuinely wonderful and concerned, stayed with us the whole time until the police were finished. NO ONE ELSE WAS CONCERNED. I was told there were signs in the parking lot warning us about lack of security but there are NONE. The police officer who fingerprinted our car said activity is picking up in this area and couldn't believe there were NO SECURITY CAMERAS anywhere. We were not reimbursed by the hotel, ok fine, but when we had to extend our stay to get our car repaired, they wouldn't even give us a decent rate. Hotwire did. There were some other issues with the hotel itself but the main concern is the unsafe parking lot. There was another car broken into (shattered window too) the same night as ours. Just be sure to take everything out of your car if you stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this review, July 8, 2013

Been to Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West? Share your experiences!