“Great Location - HUGE Rooms - Lousy Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Family Fun Package
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ft. Lauderdale
“Great Location - HUGE Rooms - Lousy Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2006

If youa re staying in Philly for a few nights through September check out the gophila site - you get 2 nights and parking for a great rate - we bookd 8 nights in philly this way and saved a bundle - especially with parking at $30 a night!!

The hotel used to be an apartment building - which is one reason for larger rooms. We stayed in king bed with sofa bed in living room for the kids - rooms have refrigerator and microwave, central A/C (I cannot stand window units), eat-in area for breakfast. Bathrooms need to be updated, but on the whole it was good palce to stay. Price was high btu we wanted the location on the Parkway. We also stayed at the Ritz, Hyatt Penn's Landing and Society Hill Sheraton - our preference was the Sheraton.

Breakfast absolutely was the worst I have ever had in an embassy suites - they have to use teh Friday restaurant (remember convereted apartment building, so no large lobby or atrium) and even teh bacon looked boiled. Waffles are soggy, all the bread was stale.

Internet access was $10 for 24 hours - better than the Hyatt which was $10 till midnight.

We had two 10 year olds with us and had plenty of room for bags and stuff - never felt cramped.

Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

I have stayed in Embassy Suites before and have always been very satisfied. Not so in this case. When we arrived at 2PM we noticed a paper bag on the floor in the hallway, it was still there a day later. The room was very dated, the bathroom fan was noisy, the faucet leaked and the air conditioning fan was so loud you would think that a train was going through the suite. We complained and was told that the noise was "normal". We happended to be right above TGI Fridays outdoor patio but on the 11th floor. They had their usual Friday night BBQ party. At 9:30 PM my wife called to the front desk to ask how long the noise was to go on and was told 10:00PM. At 10:30PM, she called again and again and again. Each time she was told that the hotel would send someone over to TGI Fridays to get them to lower the noise (actually to turn off the noise because at one time she was told that their contract with the hotel was that they were allowed to play music only until 10:00PM) but to no avail. The music didn't stop until nearly 1:00AM. The next morning we asked for a bellman to come up to take our bags down to the lobby. After 45 minutes and three calls to the front deak, we took them down ourselves. The excuse each time was that there was an elevator broken. When I wanted to get my car, I was told that it was only valet and that I couldn't do it myself and that it would be at least 30 minutes. That was when I blew my top. As I said above I have always had good experiences in Embassy Suites but I will never stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The service, the nouise and the elevators
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Overland Park,KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

This hotel has a great location in the city center. Close to everything. Large rooms for big families. Very helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

I stayed here because I was able to get a cheap rate and it was conveniently located. After checkout the hotel tacked on minibar fees despite not having anything from the minibar (we didn't even take the keys). Called once, but apparently I need to talk to the "Accounting Dept.", who is only there during normal business hours. This is a hassle that I don't need, I travel every week and I don't know the last time I was hit with minibar charges when I didn't take anything.

Pros: Good sized rooms and Comfortable Beds

Cons: Expensive Parking ($24 / day), furniture a little shabby, staff not familiar with the area

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2006

We spent a night in Philadelphia on 5/5/06. We ended up choosing the Embassy Suites because we figured as a family of 5 (4 year old and 2 year old twins) it would be a good choice. We were pleased when we walked into our room - it had 2 double beds in a bedroom and a pull out couch, a dining table, and a mini kitchen in the living room. It was very spacious, much more so than what we expected out of a city hotel.

Unfortunately what they didn't tell us was that the Friday's that is attached to the hotel was having a rooftop bbq/party that night. Our room was a few floors above the party, but the music that was playing (mc hammer anyone?) felt like it was in our room. We had all our doors and windows shut, and still it felt like the party was in our room and blasting away until around 11pm or so. Had my husband and I been on our own, there most likely wouldn't have been a problem. We would likely have been out ourselves. But we have 3 young children with us that normally go to bed at 7pm. We kept them up till 8, and it took another hour or so to get them to sleep because of the music. Honestly I don't know how they slept at all. I ended up with a pounding headache from it and couldn't get to sleep until if wrapped for the night.

I don't know how often they have these rooftop events. I don't know if it was a special cinqo de mayo event, or if they have this on weekend nights throughout the summer. If you have young children or plan to have an early night yourself, I just recommend doing some research before you stay here.

• Stayed May 2006
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

The rooms are bigger than my 1 bedroom APT! There is a full living room with a wet bar, mini fridge and microwave (microwave plates etc available at the front desk), full dining table with a balcony window overlooking the city, a real full bedroom with its own balcony window overlooking more of the city, a full desk area, vanity area outside of the marble bathroom, and a lovely bathroom with excellent bath products. There is a pay for use computer in the lobby, if you did not bring your computer to use in the room.
Other offerings are a full workout room, lots of snack vending on the 2nd floor, happy hour including snacks and hot dogs for free, and a free full hot and cold breakfast at the attached TGIFridays.
For people who like to walk, the hotel is convenient to the Phila Art Museum, and all destinations downtown like Chestnut and Walnut Sts, Reading Terminal, Chinatown, the Mint, Franklin Science Center, Muter Museum, UPenn, Kelly Drive, and the new Greenway up and down the river.
This hotel is easy to get to from the Airport or Train via public transport. Take a SEPTA Regional Rail to Suburban Station (16th and Arch) and walk one block north to Ben Franklin Parkway and take a left and you will see the Embassy Suites. All SEPTAs from the Airport go to Suburban Station, and any train you take will end up at 30th St Station and catch any SEPTA one stop towards downtown. Also, all taxis know how to get to the Embassy Suites, and there is valet parking if you bring a car.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2006

Extremely large suite, very comfortables beds, nice decoration... Would say it's my 1st choice in Philadelphia.

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City? Share your experiences!