“"An enjoyable getaway"” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jackson Heights, New York
“"An enjoyable getaway"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at an Embassy Suites Hotel and we were pleasantly surprised. Included in our room rate was a complimentary breakfast, evening reception and internet service. Our suite included a spacious living room, dining room, kitchen, bath and bedroom. Our balcony overlooked Logan Square. The front desk staff was very accommodating and arranged for late check-out. We would definitely recommend this hotel which is located in the heart of the downtown area, making it convenient to all the attractions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Turkish first
Ocean Pines, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just one night, but have stayed here in the past and love this hotel. Love the weird layout of the rooms. It used to an apartment building and spend a lot of time trying to figure out where things would have gone. The managers reception is great. Especially soft pretzel night! Hotel is an easy walk from most places. Yes, parking fees are crazy, but they are just in line with all the other hotels in the area. Elevators can be a bit of a wait and you never know which way to turn to find your room! We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here on Sunday, February 24th with 5 other ladies using a special groupon rate of $99 plus tax. WOW! The room we had was one of the largest suites we've ever experienced! We were in awe at the size of the room. Plus every room has a balcony! Talk about "roomy". The hotel only has valet parking and the price was a bit steep, but the guys who took care of us were extremely helpful and friendly. The view of the city was spectacular. The lobby had very comfortable chairs for lounging. The free breakfast buffet at TGIF's was decent. Our only complaint was the 'food' offered during happy hour; gold fish crackers and tortilla chips & salsa; something a bit more appealing would have been nice. We will DEFINITELY stay at this hotel for our next outing into downtown Philly!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We got an outstanding deal for a room here to celebrate my birthday.

The rooms themselves are huge, with couches, a wet bar, micro fridge, table, etc. The bedroom was nice and the room did feel upscale. The problem is that it was quite noisy. The A/C unit hidden in the wall was very loud, and kept my fiancee up all night. The mini fridge had a slipping belt and was very loud and annoying- I should have unplugged it. The ice machine was opposite my room and also irritating. There was a bachelorette party next door, and that was loud.

Happy hour featured free well drinks, beer and wine selections, and munchies. It gets packed on weekends with the wedding crowd. The free breakfast is upstairs from the TGI Friday's on the property. It is standard breakfast fare, and is reminiscent of a college cafeteria. I found a lot of the food selections to be not very hot, and the room was set up somewhat poorly. But, it was free. Also wifi was NOT free, but you might be able to get ATT wifi. Parking is pricy but convenient.

I might consider staying here again, especially if you have a group "activity" like a guys' weekend type thing, since the rooms are huge... but I hope all the rooms do not have such a noise problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas for improvement. I understand that the noise was an issue during your stay; while we do have additional security and overnight managers available during high traffic periods, we certainly do encourage, for guests comfort and safety, that they contact the front office so we can calm the issue. I would also like to apologize for the noise issues within your room. I've addressed our maintenance team to ensure that everything is well maintained and working properly. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stay at this hotel whenever I visit Philadelphia, and it never disappoints! The day we were set to check-in I got very sick, and when I called to see what I could do about changing the reservation, they were more than happy to change the booking to the following weekend at no charge. Most hotels would not have been so accomodating, so I was really impressed.
The center city location is perfect- very close to all the tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, and museums. The rooms are large and comfortable, with a living room, small kitchenette, bedroom and balcony. The views are also very impressive from all sides of the building. There is a little bit of noise from the street, but one should expect that in a downtown hotel.
They do offer valet parking for $46 a night, but i'm sure the lots around the hotel would be more reasonably priced. They also offer free breakfast at the TGI Fridays downstairs.
Although this hotel is great, do keep in mind that this is a slightly older building, so the elevators do take a long time (especially during peak hours).
Overall though, this is a really good hotel for a night out in Philly- I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for even better views
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We booked this for a weekend stay in Philadelphia for myself, my husband and our son. It was actually even better than expected. The design of the hotel is great. You have to put your key in the elevator to allow you to the correct floor, but this adds for increased safety and seclusion, rather than anyone being allowed on any floor. Every room is a suite and the room itself is quite large. It includes a nice size kitchenette and pull-out sofa in the living room. The comfort made it easy to feel similar to home.

Reservations also include hot breakfast every morning in the TGIFridays downstairs. Now this was a little hectic due to the long lines and crowded space. However the food was still good and free to boot. Parking is $45/night valet, but I'm sure the hotel is taking advantage since there is no where to park in this area. I didn't have any trouble with the valet service though. We would call from our room and our car would be there by the time we got downstairs.

Overall a great stay and would definitely stay again if we were in the area.

Room Tip: Valet parking is $45/night! Yikes!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I write a conflicted review because overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and would likely come back. But there were an equal amount of pros and cons for me...

Pros:
- Spacious suites. I was impressed at the size of the living room and sheer comfort of the beds. Loved the views.
- Free breakfast buffet with lot of options and omelet station
- Free managers reception. I didn't partake when I saw how many guests were utlizing this. It looked like madness and a free drink wasn't worth it to me.
- Location is fantastic. Rittenhouse is 10-15 minutes walk, Natural science museum couple of blocks away among other things. Very convenient location.

Cons:
- Ventilation subpar. One day I couldn't figure out why my room smelled like skunk all day. I had to open the patio door to air out. It was only the next morning around 10:30 when I was laying in bed, when the odor started wafting in, I realized it was marijuana. I was irritated that I had to be subjected to that.
- Elevators: You needed a room key to get to your floor. While this is a great security measure, when the elevator is full, you are lucky to get your key in fast enough. I was on floor 7 and twice, I wasn't able to get my card in and had to go up to the top to come back down. Total BS. Also, the hotel is a big tower and with the positioning of the elevators on each floor, you are guaranteed to be confused where your room is (dpending on which elevator you come out).
- Breakfast: I am pretty accepting with the negatives when free breakfast is involved but wanted to be honest on what you should expect. Both days I went, the buffet was out of food and you were picking at what was left. The layout is terrible so people are bumping into each other standing around waiting for food, or trying to get by. One time I had food but there were no forks. So, my food got cold by the time I got a fork.
- Valet parking: $38 per day....crazy! Oh and then they added $7 tax per day so for 2 days, my parking was $91. Too expensive.

Overall, I would likely consider this hotel again based on the suites and location. I might look for cheaper daily parking nearby, though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City? Share your experiences!