My husband and I stayed overnight during President’s Day weekend. We reserved this hotel via Hotwire. It was advertised as a 3 ½ star hotel…
The hotel is smack in the middle of the financial district. Pulling up to the hotel is a nightmare b/c of the one-way streets and b/c the front driveway has limited space. Important to note: there isn’t any self-parking available. All they have is valet parking for $45!! I’ll say that again… $45!!! For 1 night! We almost fell over when we heard that price. The valets were sympathetic and mentioned that there was cheaper garage parking across the street however we would have had to pay every time we took the car out. While having valet does cut down on the hassle, the price is ridiculous!
Considering all the complaints we read about check-in, we were surprisingly given a room right away… after they initially told my husband that our room wasn’t available (this was after check-in time at 3PM). My husband stated that that was unacceptable and suddenly there was a suite available. The elevators were narrow and required a room key to operate. It would have been nice had the front desk explained that from the get-go (we weren’t the only ones who missed this). When my husband went back to the front desk about it, a man behind the counter smirked and picked up the phone. This is your courteous staff??
Our room was big and clean. A huge, soft king sized bed, a balcony and 2 flat screen tvs. We also had a kitchenette with a fridge (complete with $4 water bottles), coffee maker and a microwave that didn’t work. I suppose this makes up for the outside foyer area by the elevators. Very narrow, kind of confusing as everything looked the same and as plain as they come. It reminded me of an outdated office building. While we were relaxing in our room, we heard a knock at our door. Then we heard the door knob rattle a few times. My husband looked out the peephole and saw 2 people knocking on other doors; we assumed they were lost. About 5 minutes later, another knock, this one loud and persistent. It was a hotel employee with the same 2 people. As soon as my husband opened the door, the hotel employee seemed surprised and then said, sorry to bother you. The other 2 people looked pissed. Seems they were given keys to the same room but the door wouldn’t open b/c we had already checked in.
As part of our reservation, we were given a complimentary buffet breakfast at the adjoining TGIFs. We went down for breakfast the next morning. What chaos!! They had the serving trays set up in a very narrow area in the center of the restaurant. You couldn’t get yourself a cup of coffee without bumping into someone. Many of the chafing dishes where empty and there wasn’t any seating available in the main area, although they had more seating downstairs.
All in all, it was an average stay and I highly doubt we will ever stay here again. While the room was comfortable, we could hear all the hooting and hollering of people coming out of a bar across the street. Surprising considering we were up on the 7th floor and it was a windy night. Most other customers we had spoken to complained about waiting to check-in (again, after the 3PM check-in time), the fact that many of their outlets and appliances didn’t work, the annoyingly long wait for the elevators and of course, the parking ($45!!).
To hotel management: this is an outrageous price for 1 night. I could understand if we were staying for a week but not 1 night. Had the same deal when we stayed in a Baltimore hotel and was charged $20 for 1 night. Think about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All suite, full service hotel, TGI Friday's attached to hotel, guest laundry, fitness room, valet parking available. All suites have kitchenette area, balconies with sweeping views of the city, two televisions, two phones, living, dining, work areas, separate bedroom with choice of one king or two double bed. Queen size sleep sofa in living room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Tingo, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Embassy Suites