“Spacious suite, debateable location, poor service” 3 of 5 stars

Family Fun Package
Ranked #50 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin-TX
“Spacious suite, debateable location, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a slightly dated property, but has been updated with some newer furniture, so the rooms in general are pretty decent, the suite is very spacious. Not sure if the living room has a sofa bed but if it does have one, then I would say it would be a good deal for a family. I believe all the rooms come with an open balcony, mine did (which is a nice touch) and decent size kitchenette with microwave/fridge (no stove). The rooms are not as sparkly as the professionally shot pictures show.

The location is okay I guess and the views may be nice depending on which floor you are on and which way your room is facing - I wouldn't count on it. I was supposed to be on a 20-something floor, which was smoking and the only non-smoking room they could find for me was on the 9th floor. Views not that exciting! The choices of nice restaurants within walking distance are poor. The one Chinese place (Asia on the Parkway) that delivers is pricey and the quality of the food is low. Other choices are TGIF (go figure!), no nice steak/seafood place.

The service was really disappointing, first it took for ever to check me in, then I was booked in a smoking room supposedly by my booking tool (which has never happened in the past), then when I asked for the free water for Hilton silver members, I was told it's not in my profile and I need to go online and update it (again never happened in the past, always get the water sometimes without asking at all Hilton chains).

They do offer free made to order breakfast (location of the restaurant is inconvenient, 2nd floor) so if you are up there with your luggage now you have to wait for the elevator for just one floor. They also offered managers reception - so free drinks I guess? I didn't take advantage of it. The snacks are no good though (chips and pretzels).

Parking: No self parking, valet only @$45 Yup! So make sure you factor that into your cost.

Room Tip: I'd say ask for the room on a high floor facing the nice side, but they probably won't help...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and we apologize your visit was not exceptional. We are sorry to hear you had a delayed check-in process and that your preferred room type and location was not available. We do try to accommodate HHonors members' preferences and apologize this was not the case. We will keep your comments on the convenience and selection of our dining options as well as parking pricing and other amenities in mind as we continually work for ways to improve our guests' satisfaction. We hope you will consider staying with us again so we might show you the quality service and amenities you deserve the next time your travel brings you to our area.

David Fabian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Incredible views, huge rooms that are well fitted with fantastic beds and just all around amazing. It's a great deal, too, for just how big they are and how close the hotel is to everything.

The elevator is a little less than convenient. To only have one with so many rooms was bad architecture. Expect some delays and no room to get on during busy hours. The big downside was Valet. No exaggeration, it took them ONE HOUR to get the car. Sadly, we weren't the only ones, either. Not sure if it was a staffing issue or just poor organization, but it wasn't the best way to end our stay.

Overall, I'd give them another shot because of the room quality and staff kindness, but I would certainly bring it up upon check in that I would be leery of valet.

Room Tip: I was in a smoking room and even though I'm a non smoker I was fine - I couldn't smell any r...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The location is the only thing good about this hotel. Check-in took a long time despite being 2pm and having listed check-in early on my direct reservation. Room are big but not very clean and furniture quite outdated. Internet in the room is very slow.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing feedback on your visit. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed in your stay and we will share your comments with our housekeeping team to ensure our rooms meet the highest standards of comfort and cleanliness. Please accept our apology for the wait at check-in and slow internet service. We know how important speed is in both these areas and we will work with our team and service provider to alleviate this issue. We are glad you found our location convenient for your activities in town and hope you will consider staying with us again and experiencing an improved quality of service and accommodations, should you return to the area in the future. Thank you,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a business trip, and after reading some of the reviews below, I was a bit nervous. After checking in, all my concerns quickly went away.

The front desk and staff were very helpful and quickly pointed me in the right direction to grab a bit to eat (arrived at 12:30am) and asked what else they could assist with, it was a perfect checkin.

I headed up to my room, which was an upgrade king suite and was surprised with the size and how nice the layout was. A small kitchen, couch, tv, dinning room table, it was all very nice and very clean. The balcony was a nice touch, and although my view wasnt the greatest, it was nice to step out for some fresh air.

The bedroom was clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was perfect.

I did head out for a bite to eat after checking in, and this hotel does have a very central location in the CIty. It is also right across the street from the Four Seasons Hotel, so you can feel confident you are in a nice area of the city.

I would stay here again, and when I travel back to Philly in two weeks, this will probably be where I stay.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The hotel is alright from the outside and the lobby. You can certainly tell its age from the lobby and elevators. The reps at the front of the hotel were seemingly nice but they seem to be just reading from a script when talking to you. Not very sincere. Oh well. On the floor of your rooms, the hallways and doorways are all gross and dated with scuff marks on the walls and doors. They really need a new paint job or something. It also really makes you question the cleanliness and how well they take care of the rest of the hotel. My room smelled like smoke, and all the kitchen cupboards were opened as if someone just finished cleaning it or checking it. The size of the suite is large and that's probably the only redeeming factor other than the hotel's location. But then again, it is embassy SUITES, and if you compare it to other embassy suites, it's a lot poorer in quality and service. On first glance, the room seemed clean. However, someone must have forgotten to clean under my bathroom's toilet seat because when I lifted the seat to urinate, there was dried urine stains and pubes all over the toilet rim. It was nasty. I've never had that experience before and I travel extensively all over the world. Even hotels in 3rd world countries do better than that in terms of cleaning!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. We know how important a clean and comfortable environment is while traveling and our guests deserve the best. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again.

Lookout Mountain, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We booked for 3 nights to enjoy T'giving Parade from balcony and see family. View was great, but heater was so loud that at night, we'd turn it off completely. The breakfast would have been fine had we been only 2 of 100, but the set up was far too tight for hungry hordes--not enough tables, not enough food, jockeying for beverages, underdone bacon, unmonitored food supplies, dirty tables. We felt like rats in ship's hold, fighting for the same crumb, opting out for last morning. Elevator waits were long, followed by sardine-in-can experience. Actual suite was very nice, although all noise on floor lobby was audible. Staff was nice but overwhelmed.

Room Tip: If visiting at peak time, try for lower floor as you'll want to use the stairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for providing insight on your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad our location was convenient for your activities in town and that you were able to see the parade from your room. I sincerely apologize for your experience in our breakfast area and for the claustrophobic atmosphere associated with high occupancy. Please know that we are working on a solution to the problem and hope to enact preventative measures in the coming months. We look for reviews such as yours to provide insight into our guests’ experience, so I certainly appreciate your feedback. The next time you are in the area, we would love for you to stay with us again.

Hampton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This hotel has a good location and the rooms are spacious but...it is loud! You can hear everything and it felt like every door in the hallway slammed closed...nonstop. The elevators can be slow and if no one is there to organize the crowd then forget it. Prepare to wait or take the stairs. The breakfast buffet was ok but very crowded.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
David F, General Manager at Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for your review. Like you said our location and large suits is very favorable with all our guests. Unfortunately due to us being popular is that we sell out often and we do have a lot of guests especially on holiday events and weekends. Our goal is excellent service so we will work harder on solutions to make the hotel feel lees crowded on our busy nights.

Been to Embassy Suites Philadelphia - Center City? Share your experiences!