“Souper Soup, Sucky Salads and Eggscellent Omelettes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Supper

Supper
926 South Street, Philadelphia, PA (City Center East)
215-592-8180
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Supper is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 3,724 restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 9th & 10th Streets
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“Souper Soup, Sucky Salads and Eggscellent Omelettes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Brunch at Supper was a mixed bag. The good was very good, and the bad was well, awful. We didn’t get off to a good start when I dropped the other two members in front of the restaurant while I went to park in the nearby Superfresh lot. I walked into the restaurant five minutes later and found that the host had refused to seat them until “the entire party had arrived”. Hmm, hardly welcoming.

We ordered from the brunch menu and tried the smoked sweet potato soup , the daily selection of deviled eggs and the Farm greens and herbs salad. This turned out to be the good, the bad and the ugly. The soup was absolutely superb – possibly the best soup I have tried in months. The deviled eggs were OK, although the server made no effort to explain what each of the four half-eggs were stuffed with – and the salad was truly terrible – a total mismatch of random tastes. (The waitress recommended the salad to us, so she did remove it from the bill)

The hit of the meal was the chilaquiles navidad: (two eggs, tomatillo braised corn tortillas, housemade chorizo and red and green salsas). The red and green makes the Christmas/Navidad! Beautifully prepared and presented – I can highly recommend it!
We skipped dessert because of a self-imposed time limit, although I noticed a few folks chowing down on the banana sticky toffee pudding with some relish. On a final note the coffee was pretty bad – it wasn’t very strong and had almost no “coffee” smell.

So – if Supper could get it all together and consistently produce food like the soup and the chilaquiles it would be 5 stars. As it is, between the less than forthright welcome, mystery deviled eggs and poor salad – it gets a middle of the road, under-achieving 3 stars. It could do much, much better – I’d like to think we caught them on a bad day as I’d certainly get the soup and eggs again.

(Parking note - if you park in the Superfresh lot you get complimentary parking with a $10 grocery purchase. Since it costs about $10 to park for 2 hours - it's a good deal!)

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Delaware, USA
“Great Restaurant Week dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Enjoyed the Restaurant Week menu. Selected the deviled eggs, sweet potato soup, skate wing, and passion fruit bar dessert. Service was cordial, but not perfect. A wrong entree was delivered to the table and our fellow diner had a couple minute wait for the proper one to be brought. The Sorcerer cocktail was a fantastic concoction that I highly recommend. Nice wine list, also. I would definitely give Supper another try for the regular menu some time.

Margate City, NJ
“Hands Down - Best of Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Had brunch at Supper last Saturday, again - so good. The only thing in Philly better than brunch at Supper is dinner at Supper. It is truly the best restaurant in town - hands down. Everything is always so seasonal, fresh, and simply delicious. Great bar, too. Going back soon with friends - can't wait.

Pine Bush NY
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I went to Supper to celebrate my daughters birthday. We got there and sat right down. We had some speicalty drinks which were very good. We had the appitizer of platter of cheeses and sausages. It was a very large portion, more then enough for the 3 of us. I had the catfish. It was prepared wonderfully. My husband had the shortribs which were quite tasty as well. My daughter had the waffles and duck, also wonderful. The food was very fresh and couldn't taste any better. We were to full to even attempt desert.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delightful & Surprising”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Absolutely LOVE this space - it's warm and inviting. The bartender made my Vodka-Arnold Palmer's perfectly, our waiter was attentive and hospitable, and the food came out quickly. I came here for restaurant week and had their delicious chicken and biscuits, tossed salad, cheese puffs, and peanut butter pie. Everything was great! I didn't really like the cheese puffs...just not my thing, but everything was appropriately sized. Also, their salad, large chunks of fresh lettuce with a buttermilk dressing, and onions rings for flavor was great. I just loved my experience here and the hostess was very friendly. GREAT FOR A DATE. One complaint: First floor bathroom door doesn't lock...which was uncomfortable and awkward. I really had to go to the bathroom and this created anxiety for me.

• 4 of 5 stars Food