“Above & Beyond” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pumpkin

Pumpkin
1713 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19146 (City Center West)
215-545-4448
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pumpkin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #146 of 3,785 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 17th Street
Description: Celebrating our 9th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!
Baltimore, Maryland
“Above & Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We rented Pumpkin for our rehearsal dinner. Despite my mother doing her best to cause drama, Pumpkin served a superb meal. Food quality and service both soared past our expectations. The restaurant itself is small but charming. Our menu was full of in-season ingredients. The kitchen was great, as was the front of the house. We were jerks & they were amazing. Thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Kennett Square, PA USA
“Gorgeous plate presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My hubby and I enjoyed an outstanding dinner at Pumpkin last night. Being a Sunday night, Pumpkin only offers a 5 course menu at $40 pp with minimal selection.
The first course was an outstanding red beet chilled soup with creme fraiche, bits of cucumber, something pickled and a lovely herb. Outstanding combination of flavors and textures! Beautiful too!
The second course offerings were both something I don't eat, so the restaurant offered to prepare another dish for me! Very nice of them to do that! My second course was a beautiful plate of grilled squid and fresh cherry tomatoes atop a lovely pureed vegetable.
The third course was a delicious serving of wax beans in a purple carrot vinaigrette. Very pretty and simply yummy!
My fourth course was Monkfish in a succotash, fava bean and cherry tomato mixture. The fish was good; the veggies were to die for! Not only was this a gorgeous dish, the succotash combination was fresh and beautiful! My hubby had the lamb with summer squash and tarator. He also enjoyed his meal, though he thought mine was a bit better.
Dessert was perfect! We shared the two offerings and loved each one. The goats milk cheesecake with blueberry and lemon curd as well as something crunchy/buttery flavored was one of the best, most flavorful cheesecakes we have ever tasted! The vanilla pot de creme with diced nectarines was also wonderful!
This restaurant is BYOB ~ another big advantage to eating here! We brought a wonderful Austrian wine to enjoy with our meal.
Portion sizes are small. If you prefer quality over quantity, this IS the restaurant for you!
I can't wait to dine at Pumpkin again in the near future! :)

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Delicious, beautifully presented food with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I can honestly say that this is the best meal I have eaten since moving to the USA six months ago. The food was faultless with a really nice selection (although maybe not much for vegetarians) and was made to look very pretty on the plates. The portion sizes were perfect for someone who struggles to finish the ridiculous servings you often get in the States. It was really nice being able to bring our own wine too as it can often be very overpriced in restaurants of this calibre. The waitress was wonderful, very friendly and happy to point us in the right direction to continue our wonderful evening. If I lived closer to Philly I would happily eat here until I was fat and bankrupt.

Philadelphia
“Fair... Not fabulous”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Maybe it was the nearly 100 degree heat, or maybe it was the fact that a 20% tip was added to the bill for our party of six with no notice, but Pumpkin wasn't up to the rave reviews it's received. We're local & dine out regularly at upscale center city places - we weren't really impressed. The food was fine, but pricey for the selections. We had gone to Pumpkin several years ago and had been similarly underwhelmed, but were assured by friends that the renovation and new chef were worth the trip. Our opinion: not so much. Come on... $11 for borscht? I'm just glad we caught the tip they added before we left 40% on the table. Go to Will instead.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Prospect Harbor, Maine
“Don't let the neighborhood or the storefront fool you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This small restaurant in a highly multi cultural neighborhood puts out some of the most creative dishes in Philadelphia. Every plate has the most perfect of taste and texture combinations from soup to sashimi, fish to fowl to beef. I personally would prefer some lighter, fruitier desserts, but my dinner companions never agree, BYO makes the m

• Visited June 2013