“Charming, gracious host...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Spruce Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Spruce Hill Manor
You added Spruce Hill Manor to your Saves list
3709 Baring St., Philadelphia, PA 19104   |
Ranked #1 of 27 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Florida
“Charming, gracious host...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Spruce hill manor is a historic home located near downtown Philadelphia, PA. It is in the university section on one of the few nicer streets in an otherwise cagey and economically depressed area. Be aware that there is big city street noise and several homes are occupied by students in the area. We were awoken briefly by occasional sirens, helicopters and loud students on two out of three nights. I can't fault the B&B for this, we would just consider a different room towards the rear of the house for future stays. Janet, the host, is very nice and was willing to accommodate us in our requests and happy to help with advice and useful information. On the second day of our visit, she presented us with a gift on our bed: A selection of artful bookmarks (we were staying in the Library room). Breakfasts consisted of coffee, tea & juice with selections of cold cereals, dried fruits, snacks, breads, fresh fruits and quiche. Being so close to halloween, Janet had set out bowls of candy for guests in the entry hall. My Wife and I were on personal business in the area and we were made to feel at home at Spruce Hill. Janet even checked up on us via email when we checked out early in the morning to race out of town before Hurricane Sandy hit.

We would definitely stay here again, however, there is room for improvement and the unfortunate reason we can't give an excellent rating: 1) The mattress on the queen bed in the library room is worn out and needs to be replaced. 2) The toilet in the library room is almost touching the adjacent shower wall, so "side saddle" riding is necessary if you're tall like me. 3) Parking is tricky as the manor has space for about three cars in the driveway. Parking on the street during weekdays necessitates moving your car every two hours to avoid tickets, We got lucky in that we arrived on a Friday and went home early Monday morning so it wasn't an issue.

Pros: The location is close to the universities, public transportation, the zoo, sports complexes, museums and little Italy (gotta eat at Genos/Pat's). Janet is about as nice a person as they come and the manor is a charming, pleasant oasis.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We spent three nights in Phily and we are so happy that we chose to stay in this lovely house. The room is Library, which is wonderful, the breakfast is wonderful and the hostress is wonderful! It is my first time to try B&B and definately it brings me a very special and great experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed only one night but wish we had spent another. The home itself is impressive in a neighborhood of fabulous townhouses. Our room, Audubon, was spacious, well-equipped, and clean. The bed was comfortable, too. Breakfast in the morning found us in a large, sunny front dining room. The buffet was set with several savory and sweet breads, cereal, yogurt, fruit, coffee, and tea. Milk and fruit juice were readily accessed from a small refrigerator next to the buffet. A hot entrée, broccoli soufflé, was offered as was hot cornbread. It is easy to understand why Spruce Hill Manor has garnered so many good reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My sister and I came to celebrate a milestone birthday in a wonderful city - Philadelphia. At Spruce Hill Manor we enjoyed a top-notch experience, close to a historic and culturally rich neighborhood. The Manor itself was impeccable - everything was beautifully maintained with a old-Europe magnificence. The proprietor, Janet, excelled in making sure our stay was customized and all our needs were met, with ideas of where to go, what to do, walking-distance options to eat, We had a magical time, topped off by a five-star breakfast. This B&B was the nucleus of a very memorable stay in Philadelphia. We WILL be back!

Room Tip: Janet will select the perfect room for your needs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was in Philly for three days and decided to try a B&B just for a change. Spruce Hill Manor is located in the University District and about 5 mins drive from the Amtrak station. Janet is a most gracious hostress and gave a very good introduction to the city. The room I stayed in was charming, with a adjoining living room/lounge (?) kind of setup. There was plenty of snacks in the dining area around the clock. Janet kept the room clean and tidy and even helped with my laundry. I met some nice folks during breakfast and overall, had a great time in Philly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I had a 3-week long training stint at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and wanted something more than an impersonal hotel room. I travel internationally between 2-5 times a year and while I don't mind the odd chain hotel (does the trick for short conferences) the idea of staying in one of those for 3 weeks made my skin crawl. My requirements were: large-ish room, high speed internet, walking distance to CHOP and U Penn, safe neighbourhood and easy transport into the city.

I found Spruce Hill Manor on the tripadvisor website and thought to myself that they can't be voted the best B&B in Philadelphia for no reason, and boy was I right!

Janet and Anthony made me feel like I was living in my own home, rather than a house guest. I got an upgrade to larger room due to my very long stay at Spruce Hill Manor so I never once felt cramped for space or trapped in claustrophobia land like I usually do in hotel rooms, even the very expensive 5-star ones. The dining room is open all day and night so I quite often found myself enjoying a cup of tea in the tastefully decorate dining room with all its ornate tableware.
Janet bakes the most wonderful cakes so I'd find myself sneaking a slice after dinner, I couldn't help it!

Breakfast is always a delight - I'd wake up every morning feeling excited about breakfast. There was a wide range of organic cereals - more than half a dozen choices by my last count. There is always also fresh fruit, nuts and fried fruit to nibble on. All organic and often locally sourced. There is fresh brewed coffee every morning, and if you're not the coffee drinker that I am, there are over 20 kinds of teas (regular and decaf) that you can help yourself to at any time of day or night.

Wifi is excellent and housekeeping is immaculate. I have allergies to dust mites and despite the old fashioned decor, I had no problems with my allergies - and I consider myself a human dust detector!

Advice for travellers:
1. Bring nothing! Janet has you covered from your toiletries to umbrellas to maps.
2. Don't purchase Amtrak tickets for weekend trips to NY, Washington DC etc. Ask Janet for the cheapest and most reliable mode of transport. She knows people!
3. Let Janet know your travel plans and she will arrange for airport shuttle, taxis etc. She will also advise you on best local foods, great museums etc. Plus they are all within an easy walk or catch the bus/trolley since the stations are within 1-2 blocks of the manor.

Room Tip: Let Janet know of your requirements and she will ensure that you get the best room for your budget a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Port Washington, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night while we were in Philly for a brief visit. The neighborhood is nice and quiet. When we arrived, Janet greeted us and gave us a little tour of the house. She's very friendly and personable. The house is lovely.

Snacks are available round-the-clock if you need a little something. Our room was well decorated and comfortable. Breakfast in the morning was tasty and had a variety of items to choose from. Janet chatted with us some more and was a fantastic hostess, very interested in getting to know us and make sure that we had a great time in Philly.

We'd definitely stay here again, the whole experience was top notch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Spruce Hill Manor? Share your experiences!