“Thank You Amada !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Amada

Amada
217-219 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
215 625 2450
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Amada is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,780 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cross street: Between 2nd & 3rd
Transit: Septa 21, 42
“Thank You Amada !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed Amada very much! Booked for the weekend of 9/27- 9/29 so we went for last lunch seating at 215. There were 3 of us (2 originally from Spain) and ordered the Gazpacho, Aged Manchego with Truffle Lavender Honey, Grilled Prawns/Shrimps, Green salad w/ Asparagus Avocado Lima beans, Serrano Ham & Hanger Steak. Everything was excellent!
Our waiter Chris , was very friendly and knowledgeable.
Warm cozy atmosphere. Even bought their Truffle honey to bring back home to Long Island to have my manchego cheese with and thin sliced apple. I highly recommend Amada and will definitely go back next time Im in Philly! Well Done Amada! Shout out to Reina !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Such a new taste for us”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We sat at the bar and the bartender/ waitress gave us suggestions for what to order. Th combinations of tastes was extraordinary! We would never have thought to order so well. It is not an inexpensive restaurant so be prepared to open your wallet. Worth it if you can afford it!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
“Beware! Restaurant Week Let Down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to try Amada. We LOVE Distrito and by all accounts, we expected Amada to be even better. What a disappointment! We went for lunch during restaurant week. While the outdoor server was super nice, greeting us when we arrived, we opted to dine indoors. Our server could not have been more indifferent. Once she got our drink and food order, we didn't see her again. We ordered the two different white Sangrias. Mine arrived WARM, with just a few small pieces of ice floating on top. We finally were able to flag someone to down for a glass of ice. Neither Sangria was exceptional. Food was served in a drive-by manner. Table runners with multiple plates for multiple tables came by and literally dropped the plates on the table and walked away. The shrimp were almost inedibly salty, the salad was bland, the patatas bravas were French fries with a light drizzle of sauce (nothing like the dish I have had multiple times in Barcelona), the chocolate cake was cold, hard, dry (seemed days old). The crema catalana was delicious. During our whole experience, no one asked if we wanted to order another drink even though we told the server when we ordered the sangria that we might want to try the red one later in the meal. No one asked if we wanted coffee. We eat out in Philly a lot. We will never go back to Amada. Less than a chain restaurant experience in service and food quality. Amada would be better skipping restaurant week as our experience was so terrible compared to a lot of reviews here.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland, Usa
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We visited Philadelphia for our 10th anniversary. My husband and decided to visit Amada for our one dinner. They greeted us with champagne to start our celebration. Amada was a great choice for us because we love to try new things. My favorite was the pork rib. It was to die for! Our next favorites were the flat breads. We had the short rib and the braised pork. Mouth watering. For dessert we ordered the doughnuts. They were light and tasty. Loved them. Our server wasn't the most attentive but the dinner was served at a leisurely pace that added to our enjoyment of the occasion. Our biggest problem with the night, we had trouble hearing one another during conversation. I wish we hadn't had to work so hard to hear one another. Other than that, it was a terrific meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Annandale, New Jersey
“Caveat Emptor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I went to Amada to celebrate our daughter's 23rd birthday. I understand that we were lucky to get a reservation.

I ordered the 28 oz steak (for $ 75.00) for dinner, and received maybe a 16 oz steak. My meal arrived with the meat sliced thin and piled on top of a large bed of potatoes and onions. I believe that the meat was served sliced so that one could not visually assess the size of the steak (a 28 oz piece of meat is not small). Maybe I got 10 slices (plus the bone).

When I questioned the wait staff, a young lady approached me to assure me that I had received what I paid for. When I asked to see a 28 oz uncooked, unsliced steak, I was informed that I had received the last one (how convenient). I will admit that the meat was tender and flavorful, and the potatoes and onions enjoyable, but I did not receive what was specifically stated on the menu, and what I paid for.

While "taste" is subjective, what I cannot tolerate is deliberate misrepresentation. If the phrase "28 oz" did not appear on the menu, I would not be writing this review. I would not return to this restaurant, but I also would not have shared this negative experience with the world on the internet either. If I do not like the taste of the food, I will keep my mouth shut, pay the bill, and chalk it off to experience. But, If you are going to deliberately deceive your clients, then the world should know about it.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, the restaurant did permit my wife to "sample" the wine free of charge before we purchased a bottle. We admit that this is the first time we have experienced this in a restaurant, so I thank the staff for this privilege.

Since I consider my wife to be an excellent cook, going to any restaurant for the first time is a throw of the dice for us. When the meal is finished, I generally ask myself two questions: " Can my wife make this (and maybe make it better) ?", and "Would I return to this restaurant ?",

In general, the taste of the food was not equivalent to the price, nor did it rise to the level of an "Iron Chef". We had the ham croquettes, and my wife's reaction was "salted dog-food" (Sorry to be so blunt). As my wife has been to Madrid, and visited Tapas restaurants, I believe that she has the "taste" experience to make such a determination.

If you want to drop a bundle for mediocre and misrepresentated food, make a reservation here. If you want a very enjoyable meal, and get what you pay for (and then some), try the Vera Cruz restaurant at 9th and Washington Ave.

• 1 of 5 stars Food