“Our home away from home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   235 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #8 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Glen Ridge, NJ
“Our home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My family has stayed at this hotel numerous times, When you come in the lobby, it feels like you are entering a drawing room rather than an antiseptic hotel lobby. It is a small building. The rooms are nicely furnished and always clean. The breakfast is not the very best, but the dining room is very pleasant to have your coffee and read the paper. It's a really nice touch that the hotel serves tea at 4 PM. You just feel like you're at someone's home.

The location could not be more convenient. There is so much to do and see, just walking out the door.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Ridgefield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We came for memorial day weekend, the hotel is very nice, friendly front desk, good location, The room is small but it was clean. We really enjoyed our staying !

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Once again, I made the mistake of trying to salvage a few bucks and trusting in the many positive reviews from other Trip Advisor folks. In a similar vein to someone's review that noted that this hotel smell's like grandma's house, my first impression came as I walked in and inhaled the sickening, old house scent. Ever been in a small home/trailer that might use well water and can't flush their toilet regularly, and/or extremely old apartments/houses that carry a not-so-welcoming scent? Well this place has it. I have to say off the back, to be fair, that most of the staff is nice. I encountered three different staff people, the second, a young woman, being the most cheerful and helpful (she gave us tips on where to eat). The staff and the location are the only aspects of this hotel that I appreciated (its close to the major sites like the liberty bell and Independence Hall, as well as a Septa subway station and restaurants). Other than that, my room was extremely small, the furniture's old fabric had a sheen of dustiness, and the continental breakfast was sub-par, compared to my other experience at a Best Western in Georgia. Yes, it is cool that they have waffle mix available for you to pour in the maker and heat yourself, but as someone who regularly uses the Golden Malted mix at home, these waffles completely miss the spot and almost everything in that kitchen is way below generic. I'd never heard of the brand of instant oatmeal packets offered, the wheat toast tasted terrible, the orange juice was the most bitter kind I've ever tasted, and the syrup for the waffles was as watery and tasteless as can be. I don't expect a 5-star dining experience, but I've had much better breakfast at other hotels. I'd rather have paid at a McDonald's if there was one nearby. My boyfriend had the eggs which he said tasted terrible. One of the main reasons I preferred this hotel over some of the others in the same vicinity is that they had continental breakfast, but if I could have seen (or tasted) through a genie bottle, I would have stayed perhaps at the Omni and just grabbed breakfast from somewhere nearby. Our view through the window was no view at all, and for an older building I'd expect that the walls be a bit thicker than usual, but we heard the thump thump thump of the people above us all night. We called the front desk and asked them to talk to the people - I don't know if they did or not since I put my earplugs in. The elevator is pretty dark too. Also, not all of the rooms have mini-refrigerators and microwaves; I was told at the front desk that only rooms with two queen beds and one king bed have the mini-fridges, but they were nice enough to put my leftovers from a nearby restaurant in their fridge and let me warm it in the microwave used during continental breakfast. I have stayed in much worse, and there were not any huge nightmares like bugs or mildew, but its definitely seen its better days. For people who really don't care where they stay as long as it's a relatively clean place to lay their head, this hotel will work for you. For those like me who's standards are steadily creeping up with each trip, pay the extra hundred dollars or more and stay somewhere else. Consider some of the hotels near the convention center area instead.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is a small hotel, that is a little tired.
The room was on the small side but had everything that we needed and it was clean and comfortable
Continental breakfast was included in the price which was a nice surprise
The area was handy for site seeing with lots of bars and food around

Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This hotel worked quite well for our purposes. We had two queen rooms for our family. I found the staff very helpful. They checked our bags before we were able to check into our room and they held them after while we went to visit more after checking out. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The neighborhood wasn't too noisy. The breakfast was decent. Overall a pretty nice stay.

Room Tip: There is only one double queen room on each floor. It's in the front of the hotel with a window...
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

while the rooms seemed to be on the small side it was very clean and near everything

Room Tip: Rooms are small but very clean, its all about the location
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

And I don't mean that in a good way.

Here are the good points, it is extremely well located to sights, restaurants and businesses. The staff is super sweet and amenable.

HOWEVER, the rooms and building itself is musty and claustrophobic feeling. While I wouldn't call the rooms dirty, the disrepair and worn, tired look makes you feel like it is dirty. Defeintely not my first choice and I really can't recommend this one.

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear SMPH

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Philadelphia.

I am glad that you found the Independence Park Hotel "extremely well located to sights, restaurants and businesses" and that my "staff is super sweet and amenable". This is always great to hear and we appreciate your kind words.

In regard to the "smell" that you encountered, I believe this was due to the new wall coverings we were installing. I apologize for this, because it can create an odor until the adhesive fully cures.

As for the size of your room, it appears that you stayed in our smallest room. We do have many larger rooms and junior suites, so be sure to select one of these on your next visit.

Again, thanks for the kind words and telling the world about our great location and my "super sweet staff".

JM

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Independence Park Hotel? Share your experiences!