“So GOOD - We Went TWICE!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Soho Pizza

Soho Pizza
218 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2815 (City Center East)
215-625-3955
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center East
ynotbloom
“So GOOD - We Went TWICE!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

On our first ever excursion to Philadelphia, we were looking for a local spot to eat (as opposed to what you can get anywhere in the country). We had paused in front of Soho’s Pizza for just a few seconds, looking over their posted menu, as we had done to at least 5 other joints prior, when up popped one of the owners, Penny. She was instantly warm, friendly and hospitality. We found ourselves inside in less than two minutes; and are darned glad we did!

This pizza is the absolutely best stuff we have ever tasted (sorry, Chicago, but 2nd place isn't anything to be ashamed of now!). We did their chicken ranch and a roni that afternoon. My finicky 13 yr old even said she loved this stuff (prior to this the only thing she ever vocalized loving was her iPod and we parents at allowance time). The atmosphere is very rustic, old school brick and wood, and relaxingly pleasant. We chose to use the back quiet spot rather than the sits-2 wall stations along the wall. Nothing fancy-dancy here - all effort is apparently placed in quality and flavor!

The next day we were again looking for our repast local when we found ourselves passing in front of Soho’s again. Hey - Why not!? Same great service and Penny remembered us (I hope that was a good reflection on us!). We changed gears and went to my wife's first Philly cheese steak, and I - Mom's Chicken Sandwich and a slice of cheese (just to sample the basic pizza fare). Daughter opted for a 2nd run on the roni slice. It was obvious that all the quality of their stone oven baked pizza was also the basis for their other food! Because the weather was nice, we chose to eat outside on the "patio" sidewalk.

(Dead serious here, folks....I am salivating just recalling this lunch, but am now unfortunately 100's of miles away from adequate relief!).

We found ourselves recommending the place to other passers-by who were looking for lunch. My wife got offered a job for our efforts! These other folks apparently love the food as well, giving me a big smile and thumbs up later.

We did eat without group at a couple of other places this trip, but breaking off and doing Soho's on our own (twice!) was the best choice of our trip. The only thing that I can ding these people on is that they did not open this shop up closer to Green Bay (more on that later in my next book, "Packer Fans in Philly - And How They Lived to Tell the Tale!") 8^)

Soho says they have the best pizza in Philly - they got my vote on this!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
“Perfect Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Awesome slice of pizza! Sit in the tiny pizza shop and watch them make the pizzas and slide them into the brick oven, or take a slice to go. Great location in Old City Philadelphia. The owners were very helpful in helping some tourists (us) find some real gems in the city. This is the only restaurant we re-visited while in Philly for 3 days!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bellmore, New York
“Just O.K. Pizza”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a New York pizza snob. However, I can appreciate a good slice wherever I find it. While this pizza is fairly decent, it unfortunately is not better than the average New York neighborhood pizzeria. The price is O.K. but they aren't giving it away. Philly may have better - I saw one or two coal fired pizzerias in my travels there - so there may be better options out there.

Visited August 2012
McPherson, Kansas
“Philly's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is it!!
If you want NY pizza (before Times Square went cheap and handed you Papa John's with a smile), go here. I expected little when we went here because it was in the tourist area; and was then taken back to the old days that I lived in midtown Manhattan (for two summers of the '80s), and said "What is THIS?

You order a simple slice or two of cheese or other w/toppings (NOT WHITE) pizza and you will get a thin slice that you will feel the need to fold at first, then let some of the cheese grease drip or not, and dig in. My wife and I tried two of the other highly rated tripadvisor pizza joints too. We came back here twice later.

In Philly, they call NY style 'American Style'. OK. Great stuff.

Visited August 2012
Memphis, TN
“Good for a cheap meal, but don't go out of your way.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Pizza starts about $3.50 a slice, and goes up depending on toppings. We got 4 slices and 2 drinks for about $20.

The slices are generous, most ladies would probably only need one slice.

The pizza is New York style, and pretty good, but not amazing.

• Visited May 2012