“Osteria is a Philly find” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 3,785 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wallace Street
Transit: Septa Subway Broad Street Line Spring Garden Street
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Osteria is a Philly find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've dined at Mark Vetri's Italian restaurant three times now on two different trips to Philly and each meal has been outstanding, from the beet and goat cheese plini to the chicken liver rigatoni, parma pizza and cannoli. The food is always fabulous, the service outstanding and the ambiance relaxed and welcoming. This is one of my mainstays whenever I'm in Philly and my uncle, who lives around the corner and introduced me to his favorite neighborhood spot, gave me Vetri's cookbook as a b-day present. The recipes are fabulous, but never manage to taste as good as they do when I eat them at Osteria!

• Visited July 2013

Foster, Rhode Island
“Excellent Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

On our trip to Philly we dined at this restaurant to nights in a row and we both loved it. The flavors were spot on as well as the service. The chocolate flan is a must; filled with rich oozing warm chocolate; we had it both nights. The portions are perfect and you pay for expertise. Well worth the trip.

• Visited August 2013
Mount Laurel, New Jersey, United States
“Good but didn't live up to the hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had asked many friends before hand where to go in Philadelphia for my wife's birthday and nearly all had Osteria on their list. Since I mentioned birthday I assumed Osteria would be a more elegant dining experience. It was fine and was decorated nicely but it is actually way more casual than I expected. There were plenty of people wearing shorts and t-shirts. It is still one of the trendy Philly restaurants to frequent. Food was good but severely overpriced. The pizza we got to share was by far the best from the night. Very very good. Even the dough/crust was very tasty. The menu was loaded with items that your typical person would have a hard time understanding. Mostly in Italian. Menu seems VERY imaginative which I knew going in but was a risk as my wife is more on the plain side when it comes to selecting her meals. If your looking for chicken parm and veal Saltumbuca, don't go here. The burrata filled cucumber flowers sounded good and was recommended to us. $18 appetizer got us four wrapped items the size of you thumb. Literally just pop it in your mouth without biting. Very small and overpriced. Grilled veggie app was very good however but very expensive. First plate second plate type of place. The first plate I ordered was adequate. The pasta was homemade but under cooked. All in all an ok experience for atmosphere (bustling) and food. I had such high hopes so perhaps that skewed me. Four people, all of whom didn't even order anything past the first plate, bill was over $200. Marc Vetri is certainly turning a nice profit on this one. I don't think I'd go back but glad I went once to say I did.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Beacon, New York
“A perfect evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I visited Osteria during a work trip to Philadelphia in May. There were about 10 of us and we ate at the Kitchen Table room in the restaurant, a private dining room reserved for the occasion. The staff was great - attentive, but not overbearing. The food was amazing, from the bread to pizza appetizers, pasta, fish and meat dishes, and desert. My favorite was a simple vegetable pasta dish and the fish, which was cooked to perfection. We also had very good wine. It isn't easy to pull off a meal for this many people and to have such consistency with food and service throughout the evening. I'm looking forward to visiting again next time I am in Philadelphia.

• Visited May 2013
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
“Always Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a real stalwart. It always has what we want, and we are always happy to have gone. On rare occasions we have a little too much salt in a dish, but that's the only complaint we've ever had.

You need to go to this place hungry or often. Everything is good. Make sure to have pizza and also the house cured salumi plate.

Visited June 2013