“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monk's Cafe

Monk's Cafe
16th & Spruce Sts, Philadelphia, PA (City Center West)
215-545-7005
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #78 of 555 things to do in Philadelphia
Winnipeg, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Found the beer I had fallen in love with while in Belgium. Had the best chicken fingers ever! It was packed; surprising for a Sunday night. Fun place with entertaining knowledgeable staff. Check it out, but be pepared to wait for a table.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Great beer selection and a nice menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went to Monk's for the first time for lunch on a Saturday. It was quite crowded but we happened to get a table quickly because of the size of our group.

We did a round of beers from their excellent draft selection, then moved onto delicious pots of mussels as our appetizers. The seasonings were really good and a nice complement to the beers. For my main dish, I ordered a veggie burger with fried leeks and blue cheese, which came on a huge toasted bun. Generous portion and very nicely done.

I would definitely go back to Monk's -- it's casual, not too pricey considering the quality, and sells some excellent brews. Only thing I would change is having some more elbow room in there!

Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, PA
16 attraction reviews
“Mixed Feelings Based on Inconsistent Experiences”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at Monks several times over the past 10 years. We LOVE Belgian food, probably more than most cuisine out there (Cuvee Notre Dame is sorely missed by us). We LOVE Belgian beer and Monks' beer bible is beyond impressive, almost ridiculous. The older we get (we're barely in our 30's so we're not old old), but the older we get them more annoying the college crew gets. This place is PACKED on weekends. Forget it if you think you will not wait an hour for a table and they won't take reservations. Last visit was for hubby's b-day, which I called ahead to explain. Knowing they would not take a reservation I simply asked what time we could show up in order to avoid a crazy wait. They recommended 4pm for DINNER to avoid a wait. Whatever, we did the best we could and ended up getting there at 5pm, still had to wait about 90 mins for a table. Insane. Few experiences are worth waiting 90 minutes in a standing-room-only bar, being pushed and nudged by drunk kids trying to mack on one another. Would the hostess take our cell # and please call when the table was ready so we could catch some fresh air? NO. Really annoying. Former experiences have been good, food has been excellent at times, mediocre at others. Beer is always good, but I know a place in Mannyunk that is better for beer, cheaper, and has live music every weekend. So when you hit Monks at the right time it's a good meal and neat pub atmosphere. But unless you are a hormonal young single, I do not recommend a weekend.

Visited March 2012
Orangeville, Pennsylvania
“Mecca for Beer and Mussels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We have visited Monk's several times, enjoying it every time. The beers are numerous and fantastic in quality. Each trip is an adventure if you are willing to explore the beer menu and check out new drafts. We have enjoyed a variety of menu items but especially enjoy the mussels, of various styles, and frittes. Wait staff is invariably well-informed about long beer menu and give good advice about matching your interests and tastes. This cafe can be extremely busy, but we have done well by going there for lunchtime on weekends and late afternoons almost any day. It just isn't a cafe or restaurant, it is an adventure.

Visited September 2012
“Awesome beer and mussels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Great ambiance. I went with my boyfriend and he was impressed since its his 1st time to a Belgian restaurant. Mussels are cooked perfectly. Definitely going to come back again.