“Excellent Dark Comedy” 5 of 5 stars

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
52 attraction reviews
“Excellent Dark Comedy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I support the Wilma Theatre for their dark comedies that move people. My favorite is "The Vibrator Play." Great seating anywhere in the theatre.

Visited April 2012

Philadelphia
6 attraction reviews
“The Wilma Theater Is Small and Engaging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Wilma Theater on South Broad at Broad and Spruce Streets is a well-designed and equally charming theater in Philadelphia, PA. There are roughly 300 comfortable seats with each seat providing the patron with perfect viewing of the stage. The theater is ideal for staging and performing dramatic plays.

Not only is the seating excellent, the sound system is also remarkable. I could hear and understand every spoken word, thus making me feel as if I were part of the performance.
However, the Curse of the Starving Class, a modern classic by Sam Shepard, is unpredictable and heavy hearted. Although there are a few light hearted moments, the story is mainly despairing and pensive. That said, I thought the actors did a wonderful job engaging the audience and bringing us into the lives of the Tate family.

Visited April 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
“Interesting off center plays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Great sets, costumes and acting in all the plays that Iv'e seen. Also, every seat in the house is fine. Now, I haven't been completely satisfied with their selection of plays (or even understood a few of them........)

That being said, the Wilma is great to have in center city.

Another plus is there are lots of good places to eat nearby. Mixto (Spanish) and Effie's (Greek), at 12th and Pine, are two we like on the east side of Broad St. There are others closer.

If you enjoy theater (and sometimes they have dance), then it's a good bet while in town.

Visited November 2011
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“Top Notch Plays at a Comfortable Venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I've recently discovered the Wilma Theater on Broad Street, and the experience is addicting (I've been to 4 plays over the past 6 months). My husband doesn't enjoy musical theater - too artificial with people breaking into song all the time. He DOES enjoy well done plays, however, and we've been thoroughly enjoying the Wilma.

For not much more than the cost of a movie ticket you get a professionally acted play. Many are new works. The staging is terrific. The acting is terrific. The SEATS are comfortable! (Have you ever been to a broadway play and the seats are unbearable?) The staff is friendly: no snootiness or gawd-I'm-so-bored here from the tickets to the coat check to the refreshments.

There are several parking garages in the vicinity. I usually park at the Doubletree hotel next door. The Broad & Locust subway stop is steps away, too. Do something a little special. Skip the movie and go out to a play at the Wilma.

Visited January 2012
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
11 attraction reviews
“Small theater with great shows”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We saw "Body Awareness" in January 2012 and sat in the front row. I was a little nervous about sitting in the front row, but it worked out fine. The theater is small and all the seats are good. They didn't use microphones, but I could hear everything. If you don't hear well, you will need hearing aids and/or the listening device provided by the theater.

I would go see another show here for sure!! You can even take your coffee into the theater (with a lid)... I loved that.

Visited January 2012