“Not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chris' Jazz Cafe

Chris' Jazz Cafe
1421 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA 19102-3004 (City Center West)
215-568-3131
Neighborhood: City Center West
Wolfeboro, NH
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

We ordered tickets on the internet for a Saturday night jazz performance, the tickets were only 20 dollars per person, which is reasonable, but what I didn't like was the other charges that came with the purchase, very unreasonable. We arrived for dinner and were seated up to the front of the stage, so we had a very good view. We order dinner, I had the mushrooms for the appetizer and the wife ordered the apple salad. The mushrooms were ok, nothing special. I also ordered the crab cakes for the main course, it came with rice and veggies. The crab cakes were very good, lots of crab meat and not much for a filler. The rice and veggies were lukewarm, I didn't bother mentioning this to the waiter as it was tolerable. The wife had the chicken breast which she said was very good as well. We also had dessert which was good as well. A couple of items to note, the menus was listing items a first, second and third courses, but the only silverware on the table was a fork and knife, if you are going act as a upscale restaurant, then all the silverware should be at the placement. The other issue was I server failed to mention the specials that night, I overheard him telling another table what the specials were. The prices are high for quality and quantity of the food and drinks, the mix drinks were watered down as well.

Visited October 2011

Iowa City, IA
“Great music, great people, excellent food!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This was our third or fourth visit to Chris' and nothing has changed which is a good thing! Reasonably priced drinks and food, friendly and often times engaging staff and the best jazz in the city all contribute to a great experience anytime we visit.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Classic Jazz Club”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Chris’ Jazz Café was a classic little jazz club. We were there on a Saturday night, and it was remarkably quiet. The band was a very respectable quintet, and the food, while not gourmet, was quite good.
There are not a lot of places where one can go to hear decent jazz. Based on our one visit, this is one of them.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Strange Experience.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

To preface: I have written about 15 positive reviews. 1 negative. This will be my second. I was staying in Philly on business at the Union League. I walked past this place with 2 coworkers where we were told they had a special $1 draft, $3 Jim Beam Special, so we went inside. Once seated, we were told there was a $5 cover charge per person "to support the band", but we could see if we liked over a drink prior to being charged. Ok, so we were ok with it....then, 2 waiters came approached us. We asked for the draft special and were told that was only for hospitality workers..??? I didn't realize that I needed my attorney to review all of the fine print. We were civil and ordered a couple of drinks then asked to leave without the cover. We understood an establishment needs to make money, but please be honest....

The positive is that the facility is decorated niceley and the band was talented, but we couldn't appreciate due to the dishonesty.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“The Place for Jazz in Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

I've been going to Chris' since there actually was a guy named Chris who owned it, 20 years ago. Can't praise the place enough. They have "name" jazz acts several times a month, with a cover charge ranging from $10 to $30. Well worth it to see folks like George Coleman, Rashied Ali and David Leibman over the years.
The food has gone from good to excellent in recent years and the crowd is respectful of the music, which is a major plus. You can park at the lot next door for $10 for the evening.
If you reserve a few days in adance, you can get a table near the stage.
Highly recommened!