“Wonderful retreat!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morris House Hotel

You added Morris House Hotel to your Saves list
Morris House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 S. 8th St., Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)   |
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Blue Ash, Ohio
“Wonderful retreat!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My sister and I loved our stay at the Morris House room 203. The ambiance, staff and foods were wonderful. We started our morning with mini-quiches, cereal, delicious breads and potent coffee in a period style dining room before our days of sight seeing. In the evening, we returned to the beautiful and restful patio, sipped complementary wine and relived our day's activities. We also looked forward to the delicious home baked cookies after our wine. Because we ate late lunches (City Tavern and Penns Landing), we never tried the restaurant. We realized that we were going back in time and thus would need to take steps (rather than an elevator) to our room. An in-room coffee maker would have been welcomed -- we knew this in advance so brought our own mini-coffee maker. We totally loved our stay in this special hotel.

Room Tip: Room 203 is the first room at the top of the stairs. There's a TV in bedroom, but not the sitti...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I just checked out of this historic hotel; the building had another use before becoming a hotel. It was built in the 18th century.
Everything was very good. The room was very comfortable and I enjoyed reading old World Book encyclopedias from the '60's. The PATCO subway runs under the hotel and it rattled all the furniture in the room but I got used to it.
When I return home next year I will stay there with relatives. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
Ferndown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had room 301. which was lovely and comfortable but up some steep stairs. We loved this hotel, the only thing we didn't like was how they served their breakfast. Self service in two separate rooms, I would have liked better bread and fruit.
Despite my reservations with breakfast, we could not fault this hotel for anything else. Room comfort, efficiency of reception staff with bookings etc. and the hotel's proximity to Independence Square was brilliant.
Taxi drivers struggled a bit to find it though, as you have to go beyond it to come back down a one way street.

If you don't like plastic style modern hotels, this one oozes old style charm and elegance

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DuBois, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is the 2nd time I've had the pleasure of staying at the Morris House Hotel on South 8th street in Philadelphia.
The hotel is a huge piece of history and is decorated accordingly. it is comfortable and perfectly located right around the corner from Washington Square.
The best restaurants are just a block or two away and also close to so many historic locations.
The staff certainly knows excellence in customer service as they tend to every single need you have.
I love this hotel and would stay again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Courtyard. It is just beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for a month. Best vacation ever.This warm upscale well managed hotel offers comfort solitude efficient friendly atmosphere. Staff is excellent,gives individual courteous attention to all. Colonial rooms lovely. Near Wash Square park.

• Stayed August 2013
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful two nights at the Morris House Hotel. Located downtown near Washington Square Park, it is in a perfect location to visit the historical sights of Philadelphia. The room was comfortable and cosy. Staff were friendly and helpful. Could not ask for anything more. Breakfast was good. Parking is across the street in a parking deck. Is on my list for a place to stay in Philadelphia.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I loved the Morris House Hotel. As a single (female) traveller I immediately felt at home. When you land alone in a foreign city it's a huge comfort to feel that the people you're staying with give a damn, and that's why I chose Morris House over the standard chains. I loved the period details, the sense of the past, and the feeling that you're sharing a bit of Philadelphia history (and I'm originally English!), The staff offer just the right balance of privacy and engagement, The bed was blissfully comfortable. The night staff could have been a little quieter, I felt, and the subway is as loud as everyone says if you let it get to you, but I was also excited to be in Philly and horribly jetlagged from Europe, so there's no way I was going to get a good night's sleep anyway for the first few days.

If you're solo, or suffering from the time difference like me, try a bite in the M bar next door. Not big, but perfect and delicious for a tummy that's not sure what time it is. I opted for the most local of cheeses, delivered to the door by the Amish farmer who makes it, and given a Japanese-style butterscotch paste (forgive me guys, it's late here and I forget the proper name) to go with it. It's very rare my food makes me go "ooooohhhhhh" ;-)

After a seriously good G&T - and I know my G&Ts - I got chatting with the staff, and also with the co-owner on the second night. I was impressed. I didn't have the best night's sleep ever at the Morris House, but I'm bitten by the Philadelphia bug, and having been there once I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I could avoid it!

Thank you!

Room Tip: If you want total quiet, the further away from the subway the better!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Morris House Hotel? Share your experiences!