“Shoulda Read the Reviews...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Geno's Steaks

Geno's Steaks
1219 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147-5005 (Bella Vista / Queen Village)
215-389-0659
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Shoulda Read the Reviews...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

CASH ONLY... Didn't realize that until I got there.

The meat, cheese, and onions were good, but the bread was so bad it was hardly edible. I thought I would lose my teeth trying to eat it.

The cheesesteak I got at the airport on the way home was ten times better.

Skip the tourist trap!

NC
“I enjoyed it - and everyone was very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Due to previous reviews, I almost didn't go - but found myself in Philly on Halloween and decided to try something different. Took a cab to the spot and walked right up to the window and placed my order without any issues. I got a " sir" a " thank you" and even a " yes sir" when I asked where the napkins were - when they were right in front of me. I don't know whiz about the difference between the different steaks and vendors - but mine was fine. I'm sure Pat's would have been just as fine or maybe even better - but I could only pick one and went for the bright flashly lights.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Understand, it's a Sham”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Against every tourist operators advice in Philly, and against the wise words of our hotel staff, and against the taxi drivers warning, we decided to check out Genos. We wanted to see for ourselves if it really is as bad as everyone was telling us. We wanted to see for ourselves if the entire Genos versus Pats drama was indeed pretend and just another miserable marketing ploy. We wanted to see if the food was as bad as every native Philly said it was. Boy were we unsurprised. The staff are rude. The food is bad! If you are a first timer, they treat you like crap and overlook you for the customers who know the menu. I think it is their stick to be rude and rudeness is intentional. The cheese steak we had at campos was much better than Genos or Pats. At least the bread was fresh at Campos. At Genos the bread was rock hard. The rumour is that they are owned by the same person or owned by friends. If you want to really know what is going on, don't read the nonsense reviews below. Sort the reviews from worst to best. Look at the worst reviews. Now there you have it. Don't go here!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Regina, Canada
“Not as good as Pat's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We ate at Geno's for the first time on our second visit to Philly. I"m usually a loyal Pat's fan, but decided to give Geno's a try. While they make a decent steak, the whiz is runny and the meat is just not quite as good. This place is worth a try once, but I strolled across the street to Pat's afterwards for the best one in Philly.

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“Very Good, but Pats takes the title”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I enjoyed their Philly cheese steak but I'm going to have to say Pat's cheese steak sandwich across the street was better seasoned and had more cheese.

Visited October 2013