“Lovely hotel but location an issue if using public transport” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double HHonors Points
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Oxford
“Lovely hotel but location an issue if using public transport”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Walked round to this hotel from the main road and so went into the Hilton lobby first to see if that was where check-in was. It isn't, you need to carry on around the corner. However, the lobby of the Homewood Suites still seemed fairly high class. They seem to be trying hard to make guests feel special too, although at times it felt as though they were just talking the talk... One receptionist told me that they had been expecting me (as though I were the only one arriving that day) before flicking through a large pile of arrival letters to find mine! The receptionist checking me in got distracted in the middle of her spiel, by her colleague talking with another guest, and so it did not feel as though I had her full attention. Later in the stay I found that several times there was no one on reception, notably when I wanted to check out and had to wait around for someone to appear.
Breakfast is included, available adjacent to the lobby area from 6.30am-9.30am. As well as cereal, toast, juice, bagels, there was a small number of cooked items (which varied each day) such as scrambled egg and streaky bacon. More unusually, Monday-Thursday, 5-7pm a free dinner is also available.
The bedrooms are very large, with an enormous bed and also your own sitting area, dining area and kitchen. There is free wi-fi in the lobby and wired in the bedrooms.The curtains in the room are great, they really block out the daylight. My first evening, trying to sleep, I was bothered by a noisy droning sound throughout the night, which I thought was probably the fridge but which seemed, on inspection the next morning, to actually be the air conditioning. The second night I was used to it though and it did not bother me.
If travelling by public transport, you need the number 44 bus which runs every 20 / 30 minutes. I felt as though I spent a lot of my time in Philadelphia waiting for this bus! There does seem to be a lot of traffic in the city, thoughout the day. I arrived about 2pm in the afternoon and, waiting opposite the train station for the bus to take me to the hotel, could see the bus for about ten / fifteen minutes before it actually reached the stop! Also, I went to see the Philadelphia Phillies play one weekday night (a highlight of my holiday) and, getting back into the city centre about 10.30pm found that the last bus had already gone and I had to get a taxi back to the hotel (over $20 instead of around $2). The hotel itself is lovely but the distance from Philadelphia could be an issue, depending on your mode of transport.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently with coworkers for a business trip. Rude staff, not clean, smoking hotel. Luckily I was able to open the window to my room on the 4th floor. I would have preferred to checkout and go elsewhere but was stuck.

• Stayed May 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Philadelphia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Robert McDevitt and his staff are an absolutely fantastic asset to the Hilton Brand. They continue to make everyday just like a first impression. Have any issues and it is promptly taken care of. Excellent place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. I will surely pass them on to the entire stay. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!
Southern NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We were there with our two boys for our first trip to Philly. We were doing the tourist/History/Educational vacation this year. Room was clean, breakfast was good, evening managers reception was Homewood Suites typical but it was the front desk that made the stay here special. (unfortunately I can not remember the two women's names who were great! If the GM reads this we checked in on a Saturday night and checked out on a Wednesday morning)

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. I will surely pass them on to the front desk and the entire staff. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!
Andreas, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

The room was large and clean with a full kitchen. The king bed was very comfortable. Large and soft pillows. Could live out of this room for a week. The channels on the TV took a long time to upload to the TV when you used the up and own channel selector. No in room wi-fi. In this day and age you MUST have wi-fi in your room. The lobby had it. Big deal. The breakfast area needed to be cleaned up in my estimation. The scrambled eggs had peppers in them. C'mon, ya Ottawa have plain scrambled eggs.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!
Natick MA, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Staff was friendly and helpful, the pool was fun for kids, very convenient to have dinner- chicken parm and mac and cheese, salad bar (something for everyone) at hotel while traveling solo with my 3 kids. I would definitely stay at other Homewood suites

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

The rooms were quiet. 2 bathrooms was a real treat. The breakfasts were very good. The dinners were excellent. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The parking situation was not always easy. It works, but can be a bit stressful.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Been to Homewood Suites Philadelphia? Share your experiences!