“Philly stay with family” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4200 City Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19131   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
New Jersey
“Philly stay with family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked two 1 King One Bedroom suites at Homewood for one night with HHonors points on a weekday. I was traveling with my family (two parents, sister, wife, me and our daughter). I chose this hotel for my family based on the reviews here, proximity to the Please Touch Museum for my daughter, size of the rooms and value (based on points).

We arrived around noon time and we were allowed to check in early. Toni at the front desk was really friendly and informative. Check-in was smooth. We were given suites on separate floors due to the fact that they only have one king bedroom suite per floor. We entered our first room and I was pleasantly surprised by how large the room was. Our second surprise was an open door leading to a second bedroom with a king sized bed and a second bathroom. I thought this may have been a mistake so I went up to check out the second suite to find the same thing! After inquiring with the front desk, I was told we were given a free upgrade! Since we already had the second bedroom opened in the first suite we decided to cancel the second suite. That was a great savings.

Rooms: The suite was a perfect size for my family. The kitchen is convenient to have although we didn't make much use of it. If we had a longer stay I'm sure we would have used the fridge for milk and to cook fresh food for my daughter. The bed was very comfortable for me. My daughter had no complaints either. My sister slept on the sofabed and commented that she slept just fine. My only frustration with the room was the central air. It wasn't digital and I was never able to find a comfortable temperature to set for the room.

Housekeeping: The room was very clean when we arrived. Someone from housekeeping knocked on our door to offer turn down service but we declined. He said he saw our "Privacy Please" sign but still wanted to ask. That bothered me a bit. We needed an extra blanket and it arrived within 5 minutes.

Service: The service at the hotel was excellent. As I mentioned earlier Toni was so helpful with directions and recommendations on activities and restaurants. The staff during breakfast and dinner were also very friendly.

Breakfast and Dinner: One of the keys factors to the value of this hotel for me is the complimentary breakfast and dinner (Mon-Thu). Especially because I was traveling with family. Dinner that Monday night was Chicken Parmesan and Mac-n-Cheese. It was actually decent. There was also salad, Yeungling on tap, red and white wine. I've attached a photo of their dinner menu from the month of September.

Breakfast includes scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, bacon, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, bread, pastries, fruits, juices, coffee and tea. The potatoes were a bit undercooked for me but everything else was good.

Parking: There is a one time $5 fee for parking regardless of your length of stay. The lot is across the street. You just need to get your ticket validated each day you park there.

Tips: Tickets to the Please Touch Museum can be purchased at the front desk for only $12 a ticket. This is a 25% savings off regular admission of $16. The last time I was in Philly I purchased tickets at the Independence Hall Visitor's Center for $15. They do not offer discounted admission to the zoo.

Room Tip: Tickets to the Please Touch Museum can be purchased at the front desk for only $12 a ticket. This i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites Philadelphia, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. I will surely pass them on to Toni and the rest of the staff. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed for a weekend with our 1 year old daughter. The staff was incredible! They were polite, helpful, and referred to me by my first name when they saw me in the hallways/elevator. Like others said, the breakfast is nothing to rave about-- but it was free and so we didn't have high expectations. We had a one bedroom king suite-- very spacious and perfect with a small child. Our only complaint is that the heating/air system was very loud and woke our daughter multiple times in the night...but they allowed us to cancel our second night without a fee and were apologetic, even thought it was not their fault at all. I would definitely recommend this place-- it was very clean, great location, $5 parking, and an overall great value. Did I mention that the staff was awesome?!

Room Tip: If traveling with kids-- definitely get a suite, it is nice to hang out in the living quarters while...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and the kind word. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed for an extended weekend in Philly. Hotel was safe and the spacious rooms were clean, tidy, nice and quiet. Good location near the highways. Front desk and housekeeping staff were superb and went above and beyond to serve us. Breakfast was mediocre but the staff was great. Great overall value for Philly!!

Cons: No wireless internet except for the lobby. (no biggie, used our LTE personal HotSpot) $5 daily parking across the street is about 1/4 mile downhill from the hotel. This is also where the $10 daily Valet spaces are. The parking lot looks ancient but it is staffed 24/7 with decent lighting and the gentlemen minding the lot were very friendly and eager to help. To access the pool and Gym you have to use the 2nd floor walkway into the neighboring Hilton - not a con really as the pool was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the reservoir if you would like a good view. Parking across/down the str...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The staff, room, and food were all exceptional!! I had one of the most pleasurable stays ever, and it was made so wonderful mostly because of Bob, the General Manager. The staff are all amazing, and the food was delicicous. A real gem in Philly/Bala Cynwyd...

Room Tip: As for a view of the resevoir, as it will give you a nice view of Philadelphia in the distance.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Scranton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel provides a pretty good "bang for your buck" and the facility is clean. There are a few things to be aware of. 1st, you have to walk to parking which is maybe 1/4 of a mile from the building, you also have to pay $5 dollars a night to park off the premises. It is not very comforting that there are signs in the lot that say "lot owners are not responsible for damage/theft to vehicle".
While I was there, a party happened in the room next to me and even upon asking for assistance the night staff/ "security" was very unhelpful and did not rectify the situation. The staff in the morning was helpful and did give me a refund, but I would much rather have paid for the night and gotten some good sleep. It is close to many restaurants and major highways so that is a plus. It is a decent place to stay overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have another chance to provide you with a great stay.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I loved this hotel. the staff was great and the breakfast was ok. (I would have liked more of a selection but it is included in rate so still good) Everyone was so friendly. Room clean and spacious. Great value and good for family. I would stay again! My daughter loved the pool. We were there for a cheer competition and the staff even congratulated my daughter on her big win. The kitchen was a big plus as we have 3 children and could store some of their items and even cook if I wanted....but hey who wants to cook??? Lol.....
We will be back!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our room overlooked the reservoir and the city. We watched the Canada Geese in the reservoir. Although we were just 15 minutes outside the city, we felt relaxed and comfortable.
They had hard wired complimentary wifi in the room. Hard wired wifi wasn't convenient for an iPad, but they had wireless wifi in the lobby.
The staff made you feel like family. Very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Homewood Suites Philadelphia? Share your experiences!