“So that's a Philly Cheese Steak” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jim's Steaks South Street

Jim's Steaks South Street
400 South St, Philadelphia, PA 19147-1521 (City Center East)
(215) 928-1911
Cuisines: American, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE! In the summer of 1976, my father and a business partner opened Jim's Steaks South St., Bringing a unique art-deco storefront and an even more distinctive cheesesteak to a neighborhood in the midst of a renaissance. Few would have predicted that over the course of nearly four decades the shop would become one of the most celebrated restaurants in Philadelphia. You'll find us on what's known as the "Hippest Street in Town," serving up the finest cheesesteaks and hoagies from the heart of the city that made them famous. Five-time winner of Philadelphia Magazine's "Best of Philly" award and Zagat rated, Jim's is your 'must-have' cheesesteak when only the BEST will do. With well over 200 years of cheesesteak-making knowhow, our staff will make you glad you stopped in each and every time you visit. Whether you're a Philly native or a conventioneer, touring the city's incredible history and museums or just passing through, you'll know you're getting the real Philly cheesesteak experience when you walk through our door. Ask anyone who has tasted our sandwiches! We can't wait to show you how it's done. Our best, Ken Silver Second Generation Proprietor Jim's Steaks South St.
Vancouver
“So that's a Philly Cheese Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

First visit to Philadelphia. Got to have a Cheese Steak. Had done some reading before hand. The famous battling "original" Gene's and Pat's -- but the locals apparently prefer Jim's. coming in for a landing I ask a local Philadelphian where to find the best Cheese steak and several pipe up "Jim's". Sherman set the GPS for Jim's on South street. South Street very cool area although parking I a lot cost me $10. I didn't care when was I next going to have a Cheese Steak in Philadelphia. As part of the reading I was somewhat prepared to order but I lined up at the wrong end. Slices of beef and stacks of onions on the grill. Handled deftly with a spatula cooked and dropped into a fresh bun. I asked for wiz and hot peppers. We actually shared two between four of us one with just beef the other with mushrooms. It was juicy and gooey and tender and delicious, nothing like the facsimiles I had on the west coast and never really liked. We ate upstairs at some spartan tables with a view over South Street and pictures of some celebrities on the wall who had dined at Jim's. Definitely worth the trip. Not sure I will find one of similar ilk outside of Philly.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New Jersey
“Delicious Philly cheesesteaks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We enjoyed a cheesesteak with Provolone and onions with Cream soda. Quality steak and roll! We carried our food upstairs where it was quiet. The windows overlooked South St. We went early for lunch so it was not too busy.Definitely worth the walk from Independence Hall!

Visited February 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“EAT HERE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Now this is where you go to get that steak fix! Way better than the tourist trap steak shops. Lines move quick, food tastes good and there just might be a place to sit indoors!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Unbelievable cheese steaks! we had to wait in line outside for about 20 to 25 minutes. It was worth the wait! I loved the one with whiz! a must if you want cheese steaks!

Visited February 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not a real "Jim's"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a franchise location and I'be never had a great sandwich here. Go up the street to Steaks on South or to the Original Jim's on 62nd Street.