“What a dump!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Downey's Pub

Downey's Pub
526 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19147-1797 (City Center East)
(215) 625-9500
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Naudian & South
Description: Downey's overlooks Penn's Landing at Front & South Streets and opened in Philadelphia in 1976. The restaurant is located in the city's premier neighborhood, Society Hill. The rich mahogany bar, wood panels & stained glass panes were imported from Country Cork in Ireland. We are delighted to share these treasures with you & hope they make you feel at home. Our proximity to Historic Philadelphia & Independence Mall makes Downey's & ideal stop for groups requiring a relaxing meal. The electric selection of shops on South Street makes it a unique shopping experience.
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
“What a dump!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place is a dump. I wouldn't spend another dime here. We should have left after the first 30 minutes of waiting. We were the only ones in the restaurant - then a few other tables. Waitress - a newbie? Service was ridiculous. I wanted to ask if it was her first day. Everything was blamed on "we're doing renovations downstairs"? Who gives a hoot? The food is absolute garbage. No one enjoyed their meal or even ate it. yuck. I should have known something was really wrong. she had no idea what beers they had on tap - 3 -- oh, the kegs were kicked last night. Well, get new ones - your a BAR right??? I ordered a bottled beer that was warm. I knew we should have left. What a waste of money! and I should have read tripadvisor first!!! My bad!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Ramsey, New Jersey
“Manfred”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was attending a annual convention of my professional organization and went to dinner with a few of my fellow members of my organization. We just happen to be let out of the taxi in front of Downey's Pub. My dinning experience was excellent. Where can you find having a three (3) pound Lobster for $19.99. My fellow colleages and I had been having fish for dinner three days in a row. We then decided to have the 16 oz. prime rib dinner for you guess it $ 19.99. And the beer was $ 2.00/bottle. The meal with all its vegatables was excellent. I would recommend this Pub in a heart beat to not only my friends to anyone that will be in Phila, Pa at City Center East..

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wilmington, Delaware
“Complete Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We planned our day in Philly around using a Restaurant.com gift certificate for Downey's for a late lunch. There was no a/c, my beer was hot, my pizza was burnt, service was horrible, the manager was screaming at the waitresses the whole time, bathrooms were disgusting and atmosphere was dirty. My certificate was to spend 35.00 and get 25.00 off. After waiting 10-15 minutes for a beer and never getting one, we asked for our tab. The bartender told us it was zero because he "works magic with numbers". I'm just thankful that he never called in my certificate and I exchanged it for a restaurant that deserves my business...even though it was free, free was not good enough. They couldn't pay me to eat here again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Not worth the visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We should have read the reviews. The food was poor, my baked potato was cooked to rock. It is fairly difficult to screw up lobster but they too were overcooked, luckily the price for the two lobsters was low which should have been a clue. The beer is overpriced. the sevice was ok.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bellmore, New York
“You learned nothing from Bar Rescue! Shame on you!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went here with my girlfriend because we love Bar Rescue on Spike TV. We anticipated a well run bar with great food. When we walked in it was obvious the bar went right back to the dump hole it was. John Taffer tried to turn this bar around but the owner Dominick didn't learn a thing! I was terrified to try anything because i saw how the kitchen looked on TV and i knew it most likely went right back to the same before it was rescued. All they had going for them was a $10 bucket of beer. At least that i knew was not going to be infested with bugs. My girlfriend went down to the bathrooms and there were bugs running around. There is no upkeep on the restaurant at all. The ceilings are falling apart and they put cardboard over there broken mirrors downstairs. I am so pissed at this lazy, careless, full of excuses owner. As John Taffer would say Shame on you!!

• Visited May 2013