“Wonderful place for a celebration” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Famiglia Ristorante

La Famiglia Ristorante
8 S Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19106-3001 (City Center East)
215-922-2803
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Famiglia Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 3,779 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Market St .
Santa Cruz, California
“Wonderful place for a celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My mom picked this restaurant for her 80th birthday. We had a prix fixe menu and with 6 people with very different tastes and diets, everyone found something they liked. Everything was wonderful. The service was incredible. It was a great experience overall.

• Visited January 2013

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Upscale Italian and GREAT for wine lovers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We celebrated here recently with friends and enjoyed great food and wine. The list was so large it was almost overwhelming, but the owner listen to our food choices and paired everything perfectly. The food was some of the best Italian I've had outside of Italy and the dessert was fantastic! I would reccomend this if you're looking for good wine and a SLOW PACED meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Somebody Doesn't Care Anymore”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A Saturday night in January. A reservation made three weeks ago.

1/Seated up stairs in no-mans land--usually used for private parties.
2/Lousy service/poor organization/ no Captain/waiters confused/slow everything.
3/Food just acceptable--not special like previous visits--somebody does not care!
4/Mens room "unavailable". No hot water in ladies rest room.
5/Prices still high, and previously worth it--but not tonight!
6/Probably will never return--how disappointing that a class dining establishment should fall so short of expectations and deliver the ordinary.

Philip J. Weiss
Wynnewood, PA

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
“'Dissappointed'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our Anniversary on November 24 and treated ourselves to dinner at 'Old World LaFamilia'. We had eaten here several times in the past, but things have changed over the years at this restaurant. We made reservations for 8PM on Saturday night and upon arrival were told we had to wait for a table to come available. We didn't have a problem with that, but after waiting 25 minutes no table became available and we started to get annoyed. The maître’d was very apologetic and while just the two of us sat at the bar waiting patiently, the head waiter passed us twice, apologized and never even offered us to a complimentary glass of wine for our inconvenience! (this is good business from one restaurant owner to another). At LaFamilia, you would expect that, since their menu prices are on the higher side and their reputation in the past has always been extraordinary. We were finally seated, ordered a wonderful expensive bottle of wine and our meal. My Chilean sea bass was undercooked. I had to send it back. By the time it arrived back to me, my husband was finished eating his meal. The restaurant is beautiful, wine cellar in the basement is amazing but service, food and overall way they could make you feel so ‘special’ in the past, like you were the only guest in the restaurant, is gone. We will think twice about returning.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, PA
“My favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It is difficult to express how much I like this restaurant. It opened around 1978 and we (my wife, daughters, and now sons in laws) try to dine there 3 to 4 times a year. It is upscale and fairly pricey but the food is wonderful and the atmosphere very relaxing. I have found the waitstaff to be friendly and knowledgeable. They make their own pasta and frankly I have never had better -- particularly the gnocchi. The Calamari are excellent. Their particular strengths are veal and rack of lamb. The wine cellar is amazing -- one of the best collections of Italian wines I have ever seen. They also have an excellent selection of Grappa. The menu focus is Northern Italian. When we go we usually plan to spend the entire evening. I have never felt rushed.

• Visited October 2012