“The Epitome of a Red Sauce Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa di Roma

Villa di Roma
936 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147-3935 (Bella Vista / Queen Village)
(215) 592-1295
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
North Fork, of LI
“The Epitome of a Red Sauce Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Villa di Roma is a great old-school Italian-American cafe, I repeat Italian-American, not Italian, as in Italy, but Italian by way of South Philly.

Complete with a wait staff decked out in black & white with high hair, you might expect the rat pack to walk in and sit next to you.
The food is good, and the old school cocktails potent. The noise level can be off the charts, but that's part of the culture here.

Stick the basics on the menu, bring a gang of friends, or family, or both, and have a great time. Manga !

Ken

Visited December 2011

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Taste of Italy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Took an out of town guest here for her last night in Philly. How can you go wrong with anything in the Italian Market when Rocky ran this street in the movie?! Villa salad was amazing! Chianti was excellent and for $6/glass, they fill it to the top!!! LOVE that. She had the shrimp scampi, to die for. And, I have the veal parm with eggplant. Delish!! And, the cannoli from Isgro's. Perfect ending to a perfect meal. Nothing pretentious about this place, Very casual, with excellent Italian meals like my Grandma used to cook. Can't wait to go back!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Annual Pilgrimage to VdR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I make sure that at least once a year I make it to Villa di Roma in the Italian Market. Last night the opportunity arose & I jumped with two business associates for a 5PM dinner. I was reminded of the casual atmosphere when we were merrilly attended by the maître d. Our waitress was fun & accomodating.
Starters - Villa Salad, Side order of meatballs and Mussels in red sauce all rocked. We had already ordered main courses, but my client who always orders chicken parm wished for spaghetti & meatballs after trying VdR's. The mussels rock & the salad was devoured. Wear your napkin as a bib here when handling their tasty red gravies, my colleague wore the red badge for his post-dinner trip to the seashore.
Main Course - Chicken Parm served with a hearty marinara was substantial and enjoyed. Sausage/Pepper/Onions in traditional red over gnocci was fine. I had Veal Pizzaiola over gnocci in a marinara. They had nice tender mushrooms in their preparation that was spot on. I just finished the half that I could not eat last night for lunch.
While it's not haute cuisine, it's fine cooking that tastes great. Selections are priced at worthy figures, staff accomodating & feels like South Philly with a mix of tourists, neighborhood & occasionalists like us. Thanks for a great dinner.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ashburn, VA
“Simple, consistently good, and the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I've been coming to this place for over twenty years now. I was introduced to it by my then-future wife, when we lived outside of Philly. We have since moved to Virginia, but anytime we visit back in PA, we try to find an excuse to eat here again. It's noisy, friendly family style eating where the waitresses still call you "Hon". Spaghetti with garlic and oil and chicken livers Romano (brown gravy) are my two absolute favorites - I order them both, then have some leftovers to take home for later! My wife's faves are the meatballs and raviolis (and they have the meatballs and gravy to go, too!) Being in the center of the Italian Market, it's not the type of place you might "accidentally come across", you have to be introduced to it, like I was. Please, let me show you the best Italian restaurant in Philadelphia....

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“a local place, unpretentious, and great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

in the heart of the italian market in philadelphia, lots of noise, menu on the wall, in the same family since the 60s and probably not a tourist destination, or maybe...wife had veal scallopini, i had linguine with seafood...friends had meatballs and pasta ...good food, not pretentious, simple style and simple food but well prepared and reasonable...the one thing that people should know about philly is that lots of restaurants are cash only, no credit cards...so always be prepared when coming to philadelphia and enjoy...p.s. the word atmosphere does not exist here..frumpy, old, no such thing as tablecloths or linen napkins..thats why i say its probably not a tourist destination...seth and barbara koch

• Visited March 2012