“Just like the book” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 71 Dessert in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Bakeries
“Just like the book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

A few months ago I was bake/cookbook shopping and found the Brown Betty bakery cookbook on one of the large online websites. The cookbook is a great selection of family stories based on everyday life and the memories that involved cooking. Anyway, one of things I had to visit while in Phillie was the Brown Betty. Wow what a treat!! I won't lie, I am a cupcake junky and these cupcakes are by far the best I have experienced. I had the strawberry pound cake and part of the sweet potato pound cake cup cake. The strawberry wasn't liquid flavor, they used true strawberries. The pound cake was light and the frosting was silky. It was like eating a strawberry short cake. The sweet potato had exactly the same light taste and flavor. Great flavor for the fall time. Truly a "must do" at either of their two locations. There is a wide selection of cupcake choices so enjoy!

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Cupcakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Delicious gourmet cupcakes well worth the cost. Frosting is not to be missed too. The location is the heart of northern liberties.

Gros Islet, St. Lucia
“Still Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently made my second trip to Brown Betty. I originally fell in love with Brown Betty at its original Northern Lights location. It's now located in a larger spot with more seating on North 2nd Street. The location may have changed but the product is just as good. This time I purchased sweet potato cupcakes, red velvet cupcakes and peanut butter cookies. The sweet potato cupcakes were indescribably good. They were sweet but not too much so. They were also incredibly moist. I only bought one cupcake for myself and I've been lamenting that decision for the last few weeks. I gave the red velvet cupcakes to a friend who had a similar reaction. My husband ate the cookies for breakfast and seemed quite pleased.

For those of you who hesitate to venture to Northern Liberties from Center City, there is another location in Liberty Place.

• Visited June 2013