“Great fish tacos.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Vez Restaurant

El Vez Restaurant
121 S 13th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107-4904 (City Center East)
215-928-9800
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Vez Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Sansom
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station.
Pennsylvania
“Great fish tacos.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to El Vez. I and a friend each order the 5 taco sampler. Votes were fish beast, beef and pork next followed by chicken. There is an active bar scene. The guacamole was fantastic with the freshly made chips.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My Go-To Special Occasion Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I'm a bit partial to Stephen Starr restaurants, and this is by far my favorite one. I've been coming here for my birthday for the past 3 years, and I don't imagine I'll ever go anywhere else. It's worth the price, but it is expensive, which is why I only go once a year. They have a variety of margaritas that are all delicious, and strong. The crab guacamole is one of the best I've ever had. I usually go with a large group of friends, and I don't recall any complaints. The tacos are on the smaller side, but I thought it was a perfect portion with a side of plantains. If you've never had plantains before, this is the place to try them out.

If you're going on a weekend, or anywhere near a holiday, make a reservation. At least a week in advance.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“High Priced Indigestion”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I really hate places that exist only because of snob appeal. The menu is not what you usually find. However, there is no excuse for having to pay that much money for indigestion. If you have a cast iron stomach and a lot of money to waste, feel free to go. Otherwise, Chili's is right down the street.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Our Favorite Mexican Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stephan Starr restaurants are our favorite. Never disappoint. This is the best Mexican Restaurant we ever eaten at. Guacamole is outstanding. Wait staff is so friendly and knowledgeable. Great for all ages. Don't miss. Reservations are difficult on Saturday night, so make in advance.

Visited March 2013
Pennsylvania
“Upscale Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I love Steven Starr restaurants but this is my all-time favorite. The decorations are fun, with a decorated bike hanging from the ceiling. Check out the bathroom in the basement where it seems like the design was taken right from Ally McBeal (for those of you old enough to remember her).

The food is the star of this show. Combinations that pique your interest, wonderful blends of flavors and everything is served by an efficient and friendly staff. We have been here when it was crazy busy and also very slow on a hot summer afternoon. The food never ceased to be excellent, and the drinks were unique.

Visited October 2012