“Just Not Quite There” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Zesty

Cafe Zesty
4382 Main St, Philadelphia, PA 19127-1438 (Manayunk)
(215) 483-6226
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Zesty is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,319 of 3,786 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Manayunk
Cross street: Levering
Transit: Bus and train are within walking distance.
Description: It’s a great pleasure having you here and we thank you for your continued support through the years. We’ve seen a lot of changes during our time here, and we are very pleased to introduce our new gastropub, Munk & Nunn; complete with a brand new marble bar, state of the art lighting system, and a touch of old world charm. Our custom hand-crafted church pews provide comfortable seating near the bar, and our traditional café style seating is perfect for dinner parties or after work gatherings. If you’d prefer to be outside we’ve got you covered--our sidewalk seating is perfectly shaded in the summer and comfortably heated in the fall. Our goal is for every guest to enjoy all we have to offer, from our unique and flavorful small plates to our famous whole fish and traditional Greek favorites. Quench your thirst with the coldest beer on tap in Philadelphia, or share a delicious treat from our signature cocktail menu. Once you’ve been here, you will always be considered a friend.
New York City, New York
“Just Not Quite There”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

The atmosphere was almost, almost attractive but the neon light strips in the ceiling gave it a diner vibe. Don't get me wrong its much nicer than that, but several touches keep it from being chic or elegant. I'd prefer to eat outside.

I had stuffed grilled calamari which was too rubbery. Have had much better. The Greek side salad was yummy, especially the feta. My dinner companion had bronzini which was adored.

Service was good. We felt welcomed by the staff & the chef came out and said hello which is always nice..

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“How can it be Zesty, if it is bland?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Party of four, two adults and two kids decided some nice Greek food would be perfect for a Friday night dinner in busy Manayunk. We made reservations.

Warning number 1: Bad feeling when we entered the quite attractive restaurant and saw that reservations really would not have been needed. Odd, because restaurants in this part of Philly fill up quickly on weekend nights.

Menus were presented, but no wine list. The waitress mentioned 2 specials, however I overheard another waitress explaining 5 specials. I ordered a glass of Retsina, which the waitress did not recognize. This was warning number 2. Retsina has been made in Greece for over 2000 years.

We ordered for appetizers, descriptions are from their menu:

"Saganaki - Deliciously flambéed Kefalograviera cheese with Ouzo & lemon - $12 "- 2 very small pieces of cheese, the waitress really did not know how to set it on fire, but it was OK.

"Baby Octopus - Apple-wood-fire-grilled with onion, tricolored peppers, chick beans, capers, and cold pressed oil — $16." Sounds really good, but it was tastesless, tough, and really not pleasant. The onion was OK.

"Greek Spreads, Taramosalata (“Caviar” mousse), tzatziki (cucumber and yogurt with garlic), skordalia (garlic), served with pita — $12." Taramosalata was tasteless, tzatziki was good, as was the skordalia. Not enough pita, but there was bread on the table too.

Mains:

My wife ordered the Gyro Platter which was sold out at 7:00PM on a Friday night in a sparsely populated restaurant - Warning number 3. We should have left, but we trudged on. She then selected the "Shrimp Glyfada - Extra jumbo, sauteed with olive oil, garlic, shallots, ouzo, Greek olives, feta cheese & tomatoes, over rice pilaf — $24." She got three shrimp for the $24. The dish was bland, but OK, the shrimp were not bad.

My teenage vegetarian son ordered "Gnocchi al Gorgonzola Uniquely light ricotta gnocchi in a white cream sauce with Gorgonzola green (sic) cheese — $20." The gnocchi actually was light and fluffy as it should be. All of the cheese made it a bit much and there was no vegetable accompaniment, so not really very healthy. I gave my son some of my broccoli which he appreciated.

The youngest son ordered a "Filet Mignon Marinated & apple-woodfire-grilled to taste — $28." It was OK.

I had the again, just OK, but disappointing because it was just OK "Royal Dorado -
Mediterranean delicate white fish of the Dorado family - $26." Their website menu claimed to have Black Sea Bass, Red Snapper, Lavraki, Branzino and the Dorado as fresh whole fish grilled over apple wood. It also shows pictures of many kinds of whole fish on display on ice. Only the Branzino and Dorado was offered. The Dorado was bland, filleted, small and lonely on the plate, no rice, just a side of two pieces of rather old, boiled, long stemmed broccoli, one of which I gave to my son.

Service seemed rushed, but I don't know why, since no one was beating down their door to have a very expensive but just average meal. Zesty? I don't think so. We will not return.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Just. Go. For. Drinks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Just not happy with the food or service. Avg at best.... sorry

Jerry ehrlich from the great city of philadephia

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

Just had lunch at Munk & Nunn and I feel compelled to warn everyone about it. We had hummus, greek salad, portobello sandwich, and coffee. I cannot describe in words how bad the food was. The salad ingredients were very old, including dried out cucumber and a stuffed grape leaf in an advanced state of decomposition. The hummus and sandwich were very salty. The olives were canned and inedible. The coffee was the only thing that was acceptable. We told the waitress about the problems with the food, but she did nothing. Never going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very pricy. Weak atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007