“Great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moshulu

Moshulu
401 S Columbus Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
(215) 923-2500
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Moshulu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #275 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Lombard Circle
Description: The Moshulu, the World's oldest and largest four-masted Tall Ship offers unsurpassed views and a unique backdrop for intimate to extraordinary dining and celebrations. Our private dining rooms, outdoor open-aired and tented decks combined with delectable, award-wining American cuisine and impeccable service create the perfect setting for memorable events.
Denver, Colorado
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you're looking for a unique dining experience in Philadelphia, this is it!! This spot was recommended to us by our tour guide while on a Trolley Works tour around the city. I wish I would've taken note of our guide's name - thanks for the great suggestion!
Luckily, I was able to get a last-minute reservation the night we visited Moshulu for dinner.
We were seated in a nice large semi-circle booth with a fantastic water view. The food was fabulous - two of us had the crab cake, and the other ordered the lamb. We paired our meal with a wonderful bottle of wine.
You can't go wrong here - highly recommended for a nice upscale dining experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hampstead, Maryland
“I'd like to take it out for a sail”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This floating restaurant has alot of history. Starting in 1904 it has a storied past.
The ship has been restored and well taken care of. It looks like it could leave the dock and sail at a moments notice.
Our group was 47 strong and that's alot of food for any restaurant to get out at the same time and I think they did a great job. We had a choice of burger or crab sandwich. I did the burger and it was great. I heard the crab was very good also.
Service was quick and friendly. Our staff were working all the time and we were never ignored.
It looks like it might just be a tourist stop though, which is sad. I didn't see many customers other than our group and we were there at lunch.
It's worth a try. A very neat place to eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Upstate New York
“Uneven, for the money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were visiting from out of town and dependent upon taxis, so first of all, if you're travelling with someone who's elderly and/or can't walk a long distance as I was, you discover you can't be driven right up to the entrance, because a pay-for-parking lot is in front of pretty much the whole ship. OK, we managed to get in the door. We checked in with our reservations and told we were "...welcome to follow our hostess." Really? Thanks for allowing us to be welcome. Decor is beautiful and very cool, but we were seated under an annoyingly bright light by the window. The view was terrific, but for couples I would recommend the half-circle booths across the aisle - more comfy, gentler lighting, and you can see out of several windows at once across the way.

Specials of the night were delivered at machine-gun speed, and I had to ask the young man to slow down. There were long waits between service, and I found myself craning my neck to try and find the waiter to refill our glasses, etc. The flavor of the food was luscious! However, my duck was tough to cut. It was served with a little pile of caramelized onions atop a mound of what was very similar in texture and flavor to my old aunt's tunafish cakes. My mother, being elderly, only had the chive potatoes, but she liked them very much.

Bottom line - nice, great venue, but not worth the money.

Visited March 2013
Poughkeepsie, New York
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We were part of pre-paid group, so I can't comment about pricing, but our table of 8 all felt the food and service were good. At our table we had horseradish crusted salmon, chicken breast, or shepherd's pie. When the food was served, the waiter knew who had ordered what, rather than having to ask - to me this is one sign of good service. One down side: parking is $15, and the lot is owned by another company (we were told), so there's no comping the fee by the restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Big prices, small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Visiting from out of town, we returned to the Moshulu after a fifteen year absence. After paying the $15 parking fee (on a Wednesday night with one other car---we should have parked on the street and walked a few blocks---we were seated (a party of six). Three of us ordered the 'jumbo' crab cake (one small per plate at $30 plus dollars, two ordered the duck breast (five slices for $30 plus dollars) and one ordered the prime burger ($25 plus dollars) that turned out to be, in my opinion, the best choice for the money.

The food was good but, for the price, there should have been more to enjoy.

A major complaint for me was that the 'bus boy' cleared the table as soon as one in our party was finished although there were only three other tables and no one waiting and far from closing time.

Granted, one person's opinion is just that; however, you can walk around this magnificent ship and have dinner some where else.