“Japanese with a modern twist” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zama

Zama
128 S. 19th St., Philadelphia, PA 19103 (City Center West)
215-568-1027
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zama is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #348 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Japanese, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Moravian
Garden City, New York
“Japanese with a modern twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Very attractive restaurant. Lot's of light colored wood and very clean. Menu is quite extensive and has all the "favorites". My wife and I stuck with our usual rolls and were very pleased overall. Only drawback is the cost. Somewhat expensive for what you get. Green tea is about the best we have ever had. Worth the cost.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Mediocre sushi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This place isn't too bad as far as sushi places go, but definitely not good enough to warrant a second visit. I had a sashimi platter and then some nigri rolls. There was nothing outstanding about it, but on the other hand there was nothing to really recommend it either. Simply average in my opinion but not bad.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic Japanese Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Zama was recommended by the concierge and doorman. It was within walking distance of our hotel so we gave it a try. It was fantastic! I wish I had had the time to eat there more than once. Although I was impressed because they accommodated my vegan diet, my non-vegan husband was equally impressed. I usually don't find delicious meals when dining out because of being vegan, but this restaurant was the exception. Try the mushrooms in miso and saki...delicious. Everything we got was exceptional so I don't think you'll be disappointed. Read the newspaper article about the owner as you walk in the door. Interesting story.

Visited September 2012
Utrecht, The Netherlands
“A creative take on Japanese food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was there on a quiet Thursday evening.
I liked the fantasy in the dishes: traditional sushi shapes and tastes are enriched by more "Western" hints such as avocado and greens. I usually only want basic nigiri, but here I was advised to try more.
We had the tempura (good), pork dumplings (great), bronzino rolls (very very interesting taste mix), sushi trio called Rittenhouse Three (very good) and then we just nibbled a dessert.
It was also bloody cold inside by European standards :)

It was $40 pp and I'm looking forward to my next visit to Philly to try the other main courses.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I ate here with a few friends and we arrived without a reservation on a Saturday night. We had to wait a little while, but not more than 30 minutes to get a seat. We have some local friends that said the sushi was worth the wait. They weren't lying!

The atmosphere is pretty good, we got our own booth separated from everyone else. The menu was pretty extensive, but the waiter was very helpful! We ordered A Lot of food and drinks and every single thing was delicious. The Kirin Ichiban Braised Short Ribs were easily the best short ribs I have ever eaten! GET THEM!

Our bill was pretty high, but we did get a lot of food. If you go here expect to pay average to slightly high prices for sushi and high prices for alcohol. Still, I would go there again and again!

• Visited July 2012