“Good service, creative menu, pricy dishes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fork

Fork
306 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19106 (City Center East)
(215) 625-9425
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Fork is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #131 of 3,843 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Bistro
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 3rd
Transit: Septa Bus Lines 42 & 17, 3rd Street Septa Regional Rail, Market East Station Market-Frankford El, 2nd Street
omaha
“Good service, creative menu, pricy dishes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Five stars if money is not an issue. But when you pay close to an average of $90 per person without alcohol, you expect more. Enjoyed the food there, our group ordered the chef special but it was $70 or more per person. The dishes were great and presented in a nice way. So I am glad I tried it but not sure I will be back soon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Splendid service, flavors, presentation...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We sat at table 31 for an intimate dinner experience for two. Ed made the whole experience memorable...from his storytelling of the dishes... To his attentions.
The flavors werer splendid as well:
To start...
CHARRED OCTOPUS
sweet & sour glaze, thrice-cooked potatoes

“VITELLO TONNATO”
veal carpaccio, raw tuna, tonnato sauce

Entree courses...
ROASTED SKATE
clams, smoked fingerlings, chorizo, parsley sauce

BURNT GRAINS PAPPARDELLE
wild boar ragu, olives, preserved lemon

And then to finish a great dessert...there was not even one dish with something cooked incorrectly...consistently througout the dinner experience, great taste and presentation.

It is a must when in Philadelphia... Mostly if you are a foodie like us!

Visited July 2013
philly
“Incredible , creative food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Had the opportunity to have dinner at Fork in July with husband and son. We always like to try the tasting menu if there is one available. It was fantastic! It seemed as if we had at least ten courses, the food just kept coming and we were stuffed afterwards (rarely does that happen with a tasting menu). Some of the courses were just a yummy taste. A couple of the courses were the same for the 3 of us; "vitello tonnato" was a highlight and the branzino was superb. One course my son was served was plated on the lip of the bowl...really? We were waiting for something to be poured into the bowl...didn't happen. Didn't need it. The food on the lip was incredible, could have served it to all of us-- a couple of times. The bread was delicious, everything was spectacular as were the desserts. Service was attentive, friendly and very helpful. I have asked all my friends if they have been there, and told them all they must go. Can't wait to return!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Spokane, Washington
“Glad I tried it, a bit too uppity for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The food here was amazing as was our server. He was knowledgeable and helpful. It was obvious the group I was with were tourists and we felt a bit hick from the sticks when we sat down. He made us feel at ease. I ordered the Skate and clams and it really was amazing. I would say that the pasta dishes were a bit on the small side, but the steak, pork, and fish dishes had generous portions. Alcohol was on the spendy side, but the cocktails that came to our table were unique and tasted great. I am glad that I ate here, it's just not really my wheel house.

Visited July 2013
Maryland
“Fantastic in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My group of food nerds visited Philadelphia this weekend and Fork was our big night out.

Service from both the server and the bartender were spot on. The food was beyond excellent and at a very reasonable price all things considered. Our party of 5 opted for 2 of the duck feasts for two, and supplemented that with a few apps and an entree to account for the extra person. Everything from the feasts comes out family style so sharing was easy.

For the feasts, they use the entire animal and make several courses out of it. For me the standout was the confit meatballs with broccoli rabe. The livers were used in the sauce, something I had not experienced before and loved.

The skate entree was also quite good. I have had skate only a couple of times, and never found it particularly exciting. I am very glad I went along with the rest of the group because this was so delicious. The skate was lightly breaded and fried, and had a meatier taste than I remember from previous experiences. Then served with roasted potatoes, clams, and chorizo made it even better.

The bar takes their cocktails seriously. 4/5 of us had one of their signature drinks and all were passed around the table and tasted by all. We were all impressed. And the bar staff were engaging and friendly, dropping tidbits of knowledge as we discussed the drinks.

I didn't catch our servers' name but she was also friendly and very patient (we are food nerds who asked a lot of questions, and took an especially long time with the wine list. We really could not have asked for more from the whole experience.

Last thing--we almost didn't pick Fork out of our short list of places to try because of mixed reviews. Luckily I read somewhere that the place has had its ups and downs over the year but is at a high, and a friend in Philadelphia confirmed it was great and steered us away from our number 1 choice which I won't name as I haven't eaten there. So take older reviews with a grain of salt and get thee to Fork!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere